What's going on - results now normal?

Washy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For about 3 weeks I have had dry mouth and frequent trips to the loo - decided to get an accurate test meter and start tracking blood glucose - shock horror highest result 13 mmol
Lowest 8.5
Started weight reducing low carb diet and within a week all results around 5.5 - given my earlier results - is it Likly I have diabetes or could it be pre diabetes? - blood test done Doc appointment tomorrow

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would wait and see what the results are. No-one here can diagnose you. :)

Washy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I guessed that - just wondering if this is typical such a sudden shift in results after a diet shift ?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Especially going low-carb - yes you can have dramatic changes in your blood glucose level quickly.

One way of looking at the results of your testing yourself is that you have shown signs of carbohydrate intolerance - and you have responded really well to reducing the carbs you eat, in reducing those blood glucose levels. (Whether you call that 'prediabetes' or not is another thing!) (Your doctor/practice nurse might! But you will see soon enough!) (Because that blood test your doctor ordered measures your blood glucose levels in the last 2-3 months - which is how the diagnosis of prediabetes will be made.)

Washy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good News! I am not Diabetic. HbA1c - 37mmol/l.
Doc put my extreme self tested blood glucose spikes down to a natural spike after a carb meal combined with me having a cold/cough at the time. She couldn't explain why I had frequency and dry mouth.
My BMI is 31 - I have always carried excess abdominal fat.
I think this is a wakeup call and I yes thanks AloeSvea - being Carb intolerant makes sense or perhaps I do have some Insulin Resistance - whatever it is - the low carb diet is working as I have lost 7lbs in 10 days - I must try and keep losing the weight - not sure however about achieving a BMI of 25 this would mean 13st 8lbs - haven't been that weight for 35 yrs!
This is a great sight and I will recommend it for anyone like me who is worried and at risk.

Reactions: 2 people

Washy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Especially going low-carb - yes you can have dramatic changes in your blood glucose level quickly.

One way of looking at the results of your testing yourself is that you have shown signs of carbohydrate intolerance - and you have responded really well to reducing the carbs you eat, in reducing those blood glucose levels. (Whether you call that 'prediabetes' or not is another thing!) (Your doctor/practice nurse might! But you will see soon enough!) (Because that blood test your doctor ordered measures your blood glucose levels in the last 2-3 months - which is how the diagnosis of prediabetes will be made.)
- Thanks