Type 1 diabetes and thyroid

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the past 10 months I have had some bizarre health problems, the main one being last summer I began with what me and the doctor both agreed eventually after blood tests showed high white cells and increased insulin needs that I had some sort of either infection or something causing my joints to become extremely painful so much so I had to go on steroids I had muscle weakness and eventually after many tests I had a 2 week course of antibiotics which seemed to clear it. After stopping steroids I didn't see much of a decrease in my insulin I assumed they had done some damage so I have been back and forth to the doctors over the past few months numerous bloods showed nothing, my symptoms include muscles weakness with severe pain around my hips knees and shoulders, some back ache in lower back, weight gain, depression/anxiety, lack of concentration, can't be bothered to do anything, hair loss, and my latest blood test shows signs of thyroid, which coupled with my symptoms it all fits. Unfortunately I cannot get in to see a doctor until 11.2.16. My mum has underactive thyroid and so does her dad.
Does any one else have type 1 diabetes and underactive thyroid? Would this explain my excessive back ground insulin dose of 84 units a day? Previously I blamed a change of insulin from insuman basal to humulin as the cause of the insulin increase, so a few weeks ago I requested to change to levemir to try and rule things out, this made no difference to my dosage. I'm trying to get together as much information as possible in the hopes I can get a definitive answer when I see the doctor and start some treatment because it's been a long 10 months and to be honest it is really getting me down

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya, chin up lovely it will get sorted, but I would book in an emergency appointment as it's affecting your BG levels and impacting your life, also you will need a blood test to determine your thyroid status, so the sooner the better, the 11th is too far away as you will probably then need to wait a further 5 days for the tests to come back and then of course start on thyroxine if this is the case and it will take a week or so for the medication to kick in then.

Under-active thyroid levels have a direct impact on your BG, they are all hormone related so if one is out of synch then your insulin requirement will be out of target, the 2 auto-immune illnesses also go hand in hand.

I have it and get very down when my levels aren't right, I have a blood test for this every 3 months along with my HbA1c so I know then if it's doing it's job, but once under control everything is hunky dory. My symptoms were excessive hair loss, weight gain, dry skin, tiredness and depression, but not joint pain, however everyone is different. Another thought possibly, could you be allergic to gluten ?

Get on the phone now though and get that appointment bought forward, you will feel a little bit better if you can find out sooner ;)

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on with 111 the receptionist soon changed her tone with me when I said I need to see a doctor 111 service said in the next 6 hours, earlier when I had rang for an appointment she didn't want to know even though I'd told her it's urgent and told her why.
I hope this is the answer I've been digging for it would take a weight off my shoulders and mean I can get back down to normal.
How long before u noticed your insulin needs decreased when you started thyroxine? And do you feel relatively normal now, like with energy and motivation? Does the hair loss calm down?

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It will all calm down once medication is at the right level. Don't expect it to happen overnight though, the thyroxine is started low and increased very slowly due to its long acting time in the body. Hang in there, the main thing is knowing what you're dealing with. I have both conditions too.

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got an appointment with the doctor and started on 100mg I think or mcg I can't remember, I feel at ease although it's another problem to add to the list atleast I know what it is and the pains and discomforts will eventually go

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good glad you got sorted, did they do a blood test though to diagnose it ?

As Ruth said it takes a while to start working, the hair loss will stop quite soon, it's a case of getting the right level of medication, I've found you have to be very self aware to know if somethings not quite right, there are lots of symptoms that come very gradually with an underachiever thyroid, but if you're aware of any changes then get another blood test done to check how your thyroid is responding, good luck lovely ;)

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They did one last week I found the result out from the nurse today and came home worried that's why I posted then managed to get an emergency appointment with the doctor, yeah I've known for a about 6 months things weren't right and requested full blood count and thyroid tests nearly once a month but nothing had shown up abnormal until the last test which is odd

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Glad you know now - it will get sorted so feel positive you are on the right road now ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Must be a relief to know what's going on and to be starting on thyroxine - it'll take a little time to get the balance right, but it will happen and you will slowly begin to feel very much better.

:)

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks every one, with regards to me using 84 units of basal insulin on a ratio of 1:1 with bolus, will my basal insulin reduce and return to a normal dose or will I find I stay stuck at such high dosage?

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@lma89

I have to take thyroxine due to past illness, and can vouch that adjustments to the dosage do take time to work through. Since being diagnosed T1.5 LADA Diabetic I have had to change from the T3 tablets I've been taking since my teens, to T4 tablets. It took a few months to get the dosage right, but my levels are good now.

Going LCHF has made living with D a huge amount easier - no more hypers and hypos

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T1 and hypothyroidism is a very common combination. Once you get your dose right the hypothyroidism is no problem at all. I've had T1 since I was 5 and hypothyroidism since I was 13, and really the latter is no big deal.

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this why my insulin needs are so high and will my insulin reduce when thyroid is undercontrol?

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be you've gained some weight due to the hypothyroid? This could be contributing to some insulin resistance? 100 mg sounds quite a lot for a starting dose to me. Just keep a close eye on your sugar levels and be prepared to lower insulin slightly if needed. Hope you're feeling better soon.

lma89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 100mcg yeah I gained weight about a stone while I was on steroids in August but lost half a stone before Xmas and lost nearly a quater since xmas through being ill and not eating, the muscle tenderness is only in my wrist now and my shoulders are still painful but not enough to stop me doing things so far so good back to work tomorrow let's see if I have some energy for once

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you have a good day tomorrow, @lma89. Your energy WILL come back in time, I'm sure.

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an under active thyroid. I was diagnosed when I was 14 and as I wasn't diagnosed with diabetes until I was 20 I have no clue as to how it impacts my insulin intake. I also found my doctor liked to keep levels "just" within target range. I actually increased my thyroid medication slightly without telling them and felt a lot better for it. I would just make sure that if they tell you that your thyroid levels are normal but you don't feel fine keep bugging them!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 and hypothyroidism is a very common combination. Once you get your dose right the hypothyroidism is no problem at all. I've had T1 since I was 5 and hypothyroidism since I was 13, and really the latter is no big deal.

How do you treat it, Ruth?

Wondering if I have this too. Ever increasing tiredness, posted elsewhere.

Lucy