Not diabetes related but kind of at my wits end

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

So I originally posted this on the patient forum but got no replies....

Hello so back in April 2015 I had a microdiscectomy on L5 S1....I think it was that one haha! Any how the disc above it was ever so slightly bulging but my surgeon said the chance of it bulging further was roughly 5% so he wasn't worried. Any how I am now 22 weeks pregnant and all of a sudden today I am in excruciating pain....the exact pain if not worse that I experienced before my operation...I knew I would have problems with pregnancy...but I'm not even really showing yet so wouldn't have thought it was baby and I just didn't expect the pain to be this bad all of a sudden...is it likely that my disc has bulged??? I will mention this to my GP but not sure they can do much whilst pregnant??

M

mrspuddleduck

Oh @ohitsnicola I really feel for you! Sorry I can't help or offer advise but I just wanted to send you a hug (and bump your post up!) Take care xxxxxxx

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely mention it to your GP in case it's some kind of reoccurrence.

Backache isn't unvommon in pregnancy anyway, so if you have any 'weakness' then that might make you more sensitive. When you're pregnant, your body 'relaxes' your joints so it's easy to get aches and pains and pulls. I had backache and hip ache. In my second pregnancy, I also got a kind of sciatica which was very painful for a couple of weeks.

Apart from getting it checked out, all I can suggest is to be very aware of your back and how you're standing, sitting and sleeping. You may find a pregnancy pillow helps a bit with sleeping. I found I couldnt stand too long else my back would be painful, so I made sure I sat often. I also used cushions to support my back.

So you may have a kind of 'double back sensitivity' from your op and from the pregnancy, if you see what I mean. Definitely speak to someone. There are special pregnancy physiotherapists if that would help, plus the midwives may have suggestions too. But because you've had an issue before, just get that checked first.

Hope you feel better soon. Take it very easy XX

D

Deleted member 83869

Definitely mention it to your GP in case it's some kind of reoccurrence.

Backache isn't unvommon in pregnancy anyway, so if you have any 'weakness' then that might make you more sensitive. When you're pregnant, your body 'relaxes' your joints so it's easy to get aches and pains and pulls. I had backache and hip ache. In my second pregnancy, I also got a kind of sciatica which was very painful for a couple of weeks.

Apart from getting it checked out, all I can suggest is to be very aware of your back and how you're standing, sitting and sleeping. You may find a pregnancy pillow helps a bit with sleeping. I found I couldnt stand too long else my back would be painful, so I made sure I sat often. I also used cushions to support my back.

So you may have a kind of 'double back sensitivity' from your op and from the pregnancy, if you see what I mean. Definitely speak to someone. There are special pregnancy physiotherapists if that would help, plus the midwives may have suggestions too. But because you've had an issue before, just get that checked first.

Hope you feel better soon. Take it very easy XX
I get what you're saying and I pretty much knew that I would have some trouble with my back its just come on all of a sudden...ever since I threw up 3 times on Friday (first time I've thrown up since the op) I've had problems so now I'm thinking that's how I've herniated the other one again as They say it's even simple things that could do it! I'm just worrying about labour again because of it...it's very painful! Couldn't get to sleep last night till about 2 am!
I've seen a pregnancy pillow in aldi for £5.99 which I really want to get when I have money!
I've just found my letter that my surgeon sent to my old GP stating if I had in problems in 2016 to refer me back to him so think I will do that....just to be on the safe side xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there hun:)
just reading your thread and felt so bad for you.:(

i could help out with the pillow money if you need.