? Bleeding under toenail. (Don't look if you don't like feet!!!- sorry!!)

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I'm type 2- diagnosed 4 years ago. Had a bad 'fall off wagon' at New Year but back on track now with levels below 8- low carbing & 2000 Metformin/ day.

Anyway have just taken off my toe nail varnish & found a red spot on my big toe nail. Thought it was red nail varnish (but the colour I took off was silver/ grey & it won't come off. ) Also it looks to be under the nail. Don't think it's a fungal infection (I've no athletes foot or anything- although I am treating a fungal finger nail after my high blood sugars!!)

I will make a GP appt asap but just wondered if anyone has seen anything like this?
?
9d500a3c6f7c45c0ff709ed9a2e4b460.jpg

Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I'm type 2- diagnosed 4 years ago. Had a bad 'fall off wagon' at New Year but back on track now with levels below 8- low carbing & 2000 Metformin/ day.

Anyway have just taken off my toe nail varnish & found a red spot on my big toe nail. Thought it was red nail varnish (but the colour I took off was silver/ grey & it won't come off. ) Also it looks to be under the nail. Don't think it's a fungal infection (I've no athletes foot or anything- although I am treating a fungal finger nail after my high blood sugars!!)

I will make a GP appt asap but just wondered if anyone has seen anything like this?
?
9d500a3c6f7c45c0ff709ed9a2e4b460.jpg

Thanks
Haven't had anything like this. Looks like a small bleed under the nail. Have you banged toe? Is the nail edge cutting into the flesh at the side? I guess you don't need me to tell you not to neglect this and see a podiatrist soon?
Your fert don't look too bad though. Your warning not to look had me worried.

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Hi @Sunny I have to agree with @Pipp, or maybe a bruise? Saying that Im no foot expert so would have to suggest you get it checked out just to be on the safe side especially if you cant remember injuring it.
Have to admit I did smile when I saw you had 15 views but only 1 reply - obviously your 'dont look' comment roused our curiosity!:D
BTW love your tatts!!!:) xxxxx

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The only time I experienced anything like that under a big toe nail, I knew full well I'd done it as I'd stubbed my toe very hard on the banister at the top of the stairs. But I really did wollop it and my whole toe was black for a month in the end.

So if you don't know you've done any damage - and trauma would be the obvious cause - you should really get it checked out, just to be on the safe side. If nothing else, if it carries on bleeding under the nail with no outlet, it could start to get sore as the pressure builds.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

Best to get it checked, it looks odd, as it seems contained to one spot rather than run across

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a bleed under a big toenail last year, and was not aware of trauma being done. But my toenail was long at the time, so stubbing or tight shoes may be my cause. Anyway, eventually it turned black, and then the toenail fell off by itself. I was 67 at the time, and even then I grew a new nail in its place, and it is all hunky dory now, Your feet look to be in good nick, so it is probably nothing serious, but do ask to see a podiatrist to get it checked.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't banged my toe as far as I can remember, no new shoes or anything but it does feel slightly sore.
Pipp- no - the skin at the side is fine. Glad my foot isn't too scarey- but I know some people are really funny about feet- a friend of mine was always convinced that she would 'catch' my bunion if she got too close?!! (She's much younger than me - sadly it will probably come to her too eventually!!!)
Thanks Boojewels & Shar67.
Thanks Mrspuddleduck- I know the feet is a bad place for tattoos for a diabetic but they are well healed now. I have sun, moon, star!!!

I'll set my alarm for the morning at 0800 & try & get a GP appt. I'm still awake as one of my tablets making me really nauseous?!!
thanks all for your input
61e450726c6f4317c13105f1713207ea.jpg
c2a088793668544ed16b11a6230f8072.jpg

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks too Oldvatr- you must've posted whilst I was messing with photos!!
Due to my serious allergies - I spend a lot of time at home. I walk the dogs & usually potter to a shop (carefully- in case anyone is trying to kill me with balloons & apples?!!!) so I often only wear shoes for a couple of hours a day. I do wear slippers in the house though!!
Can I just ask GP to refer me to a podiatrist then & do you usually have to wait for an appt?
Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks too Oldvatr- you must've posted whilst I was messing with photos!!
Due to my serious allergies - I spend a lot of time at home. I walk the dogs & usually potter to a shop (carefully- in case anyone is trying to kill me with balloons & apples?!!!) so I often only wear shoes for a couple of hours a day. I do wear slippers in the house though!!
Can I just ask GP to refer me to a podiatrist then & do you usually have to wait for an appt?
Thanks

You can self refer to NHS Community Podiatry service. Just do a search for the area you live. Should be able to get seen quickly, without GP being involved.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP referred me, but the nearest practitioner was 50 miles away, and private patients only so i left it to nature to solve itself. I wasn't worried since I knew it wasn't ulcerous or infected, otherwise I would have gone to A&E.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP has had a look & says she thinks it is a little bit of bleeding & that I've probably banged it. I've just to keep an eye on it.
Best to be on the safe side though.
Thanks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It does look like a subungual hematoma to me if it is it will just grow out with the nail.
Though it is possible for a small tumor under the nail to mimic this, a tumor however would not move as the nail grows but remain in the same place. So may be best to check with a podiatrist if possible.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou John I will keep a close eye on it whilst waiting to see podiatrist.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a funny mark under my big toenail shortly after I was diagnosed. I had it looked at and advised I'd probably banged it ND I might lose half of the nail. I did. I lost the half of the nail nearest the next toe, so it looked a bit odd for a while, but it grew back perfectly.

The only reason I really posted though was to say, try to take a photo of the offending spot, then you can compare it in a few weeks and reassure yourself it's growing up your toenail. That was the advice of the podiatrists I saw at the time.

Natty nails though. :)

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks - I did that & it is definitely growing out.

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those 2 pictures were actually just to show my tattoos to Mrspuddleduck who had commented on them!!! Lol. Those were from last summer when I had fancy toenails ( which I do remove regularly to check my toenails underneath!)
The earlier picture was the one I posted re the ?bleed & shows the toenails without polish & the mark. It is growing out with the nail & is nearly at the top so I'm feeling relieved about it now!!
Thanks for input.