Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
And apologies Bebo for embarrassing us by suggesting our race to the finish and triumphant sprint through the finishing funnel only to be told we had another lap to go Doh! it could have worse.....errr now i think about it.... no probably not :facepalm: our mid race sprint made the last lap more challenging hehe

Listening to me is never very wise :sorry: it'll be funny when we recover :D

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
10260028_878741638822949_2589987181205109990_n.jpg

our race to the finish line.....NOT :woot:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go Team BG :)

I ran at Whitley Bay yesterday, which is now my favourite parkrun location of the 4 others I've done. Coastal scenery, sound and smell of the sea, bringing back happy memories of studying marine biology at Dove Marine Lab, field trips to St Mary's island (withing sight as running north), sight of Spanish City dome to the south. Just a visit to see friends. Towards end of last lap, a woman (same age group) caught me up, and said she'd been using me as pacemaker. Started chatting, which wouldn't have improved her or my time, but she helped me with the route and chatting kept mind off sore legs (I did a 3 day Lake District mountain race over the bank holiday weekend and went orienteering on hilly ground in Yorkshire on Wednesday). Turned out she's come to study in Newcastle, and never left. She every kindly guided me to loos, detouring on her way back to car. Possibly not what she meant when she said she found Parkrun fitted in so well with her 24/7 Police role! Next time I'm in Tyneside on a Saturday morning, I'll take my young friend, who is currently 10 years old, as her mum can't run because of health problems. Very wet and windy conditions, so I couldn't have run in just a vest, so wore long tracksters, Smartwool short sleeve top and long sleeved windproof top, which was an excellent combination. Vest wouldn't have been suitable for GL3D, either, but may one day do a warm temperature road race, but I really prefer wild and woolly conditions, long distances in hills, races with navigation & pack carrying etc :)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And apologies Bebo for embarrassing us by suggesting our race to the finish and triumphant sprint through the finishing funnel only to be told we had another lap to go Doh! it could have worse.....errr now i think about it.... no probably not :facepalm: our mid race sprint made the last lap more challenging hehe

Listening to me is never very wise :sorry: it'll be funny when we recover :D

That was so funny! At least it gave you a bit of peace and quiet on the last lap without my jabbering away!!!
Great running with you, and lovely to meet borofergie too!
We'll keep you posted with the diary so we can get together again soon. Bx

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Go Team BG :)

I ran at Whitley Bay yesterday, which is now my favourite parkrun location of the 4 others I've done. Coastal scenery, sound and smell of the sea, bringing back happy memories of studying marine biology at Dove Marine Lab, field trips to St Mary's island (withing sight as running north), sight of Spanish City dome to the south. Just a visit to see friends. Towards end of last lap, a woman (same age group) caught me up, and said she'd been using me as pacemaker. Started chatting, which wouldn't have improved her or my time, but she helped me with the route and chatting kept mind off sore legs (I did a 3 day Lake District mountain race over the bank holiday weekend and went orienteering on hilly ground in Yorkshire on Wednesday). Turned out she's come to study in Newcastle, and never left. She every kindly guided me to loos, detouring on her way back to car. Possibly not what she meant when she said she found Parkrun fitted in so well with her 24/7 Police role! Next time I'm in Tyneside on a Saturday morning, I'll take my young friend, who is currently 10 years old, as her mum can't run because of health problems. Very wet and windy conditions, so I couldn't have run in just a vest, so wore long tracksters, Smartwool short sleeve top and long sleeved windproof top, which was an excellent combination. Vest wouldn't have been suitable for GL3D, either, but may one day do a warm temperature road race, but I really prefer wild and woolly conditions, long distances in hills, races with navigation & pack carrying etc :)

Awesome! Once we get some more dates in the diary perhaps we can pick one of the venues and all get together!:happy:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is this park run? I went to my park ... Nobody there over the age of 10. ;-)

I am jealous. My mind wants to run, I'm fit enough to run but my knees say no!!! Humph!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
What is this park run? I went to my park ... Nobody there over the age of 10. ;-)

I am jealous. My mind wants to run, I'm fit enough to run but my knees say no!!! Humph!!

its only for the youngsters.... like me *cough*

you can walk it, or walk/jog/crawl its great fun and they time you and publish it so you can attempt to beat yourself next week/time

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi there,
Parkrun organise free weekly 5k runs (walk/jog/mad dash) every Saturday morning at about 260 different parks across the uk.
Free to enter and run by volunteers, it's a great way to help motivate people to get moving more!
It's very inclusive - so you see anything from people running around with pushchairs, 80 year olds walking with dogs, whole families jogging together and then the super fits (like Andy12345) blasting around!;)
http://www.parkrun.org.uk

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondered if anyone else sees unusual things at parkruns? Two weeks ago, at Cross Flatts in Leeds, we were watched by two young men with two ferrets in harnesses and leads, who kept running up a grassy slope, then rolling down (ferrets, not humans). This week, two fire appliances pulled up beside the park gate and about eight firemen got out and walked to start. The female race director was a bit overcome during her briefing, and almost changed her mind to run today! Yet to discover if fire personnel presence had any effect on my time. Being overdressed for warm temperature probably had more effect. I missed last week due to working at Beaver triathlons at Belvoir Castlee, will be at Animas Diabetes Sports weekend Loughborough University next week, then in Cambridge weekendd after, so hope to run at Wimpole.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
If people see anything unusual at Huddersfield there is a reasonable chance it is me............. Or the event directors........

I can't say I have noticed anything too strange though.

Reactions: 6 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wondered if anyone else sees unusual things at parkruns? Two weeks ago, at Cross Flatts in Leeds, we were watched by two young men with two ferrets in harnesses and leads, who kept running up a grassy slope, then rolling down (ferrets, not humans). This week, two fire appliances pulled up beside the park gate and about eight firemen got out and walked to start. The female race director was a bit overcome during her briefing, and almost changed her mind to run today! Yet to discover if fire personnel presence had any effect on my time. Being overdressed for warm temperature probably had more effect. I missed last week due to working at Beaver triathlons at Belvoir Castlee, will be at Animas Diabetes Sports weekend Loughborough University next week, then in Cambridge weekendd after, so hope to run at Wimpole.
Look out the Grumpy Pumper at Loughborough and say Hi from Becky!
Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
parkrun PB the other day. Just over 73%. (20.47 at age 55) No where near the fastest parkrun by an Aussie T1 over the age of 50, but I think it is up there for someone with Addison's. How many older T1s are still running?

jojomel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started walking the park run with my daughter. completed it twice and came last twice but enjoyed it and knocked 5 mins off my first time by actually running some of it and got a pb lol. I'm looking forward to the day I can run it completely. It's a really good fun way to get out and active.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just started walking the park run with my daughter. completed it twice and came last twice but enjoyed it and knocked 5 mins off my first time by actually running some of it and got a pb lol. I'm looking forward to the day I can run it completely. It's a really good fun way to get out and active.
The only person you should be competing against is yourself. And you are already winning! Nice one.

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm currently doing the NHS couch to 5k app and Park Run is my finish line in 2 weeks. Its gone from not being able to run for more than a minute to this week running for 28 minutes none stop. Cant wait to do Park Run.

couple of questions for runners though do you eat before running or after ?
8 weeks in and I got my 1st blister today and I'm alittle worried as I was warned in December when I was diagonosed look after your feet , watch you don't get them cut or hurt.

I've also got really sore shins , interested in knowing if these types of thing are normal for diabetic runners and tips to avoid it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bridg3 - I'm also doing the couch to 5k but am only two thirds of the way through week 2 - re eating, I do my exercise (swimming or c25k, alternate days) first thing in the morning and always have a small bowl of porridge (25g oats, 50g milk, 250g water) about half an hour beforehand, then a brace of boiled eggs when I get home. I don't do this sort of exercise at any time other than breakfast time as it leads to crashing hypos and I haven't quite sorted the programming for that (type 1 on pump).

I generally spike during my run but level off afterwards.

:)