New member, long-standing diabetic

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, just saying hello - I've lurked for a while on this forum and have learned a great deal - I'm very grateful for everything I've read! Thank you.

Despite having been diagnosed 30 years ago in May this year (hmmm, not sure there's a party on the cards), there are always new ways to deal with my type 1 popping up. I've been on a pump since October last year, and last Friday there was great excitement when my new Libre was delivered!

So: hi, and thank you already for all the help and information I've picked up.

:)

Reactions: 12 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Snapsy :)

We've been diagnosed a similar length of time (34 years for me). I'm also a pump and Libre user and have been pumping insulin for a year now and started using the Libre at the beginning of January.

Look forward to your contribution to the forum. Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Woo! Pump party!! :D

Also, welcome @Snapsy :):)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello Snapsy and Welcome to the Forum:).

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I have to ask why is your pump called Percy please??

Haha well, I named him because he's with me 24/7 & will be for the rest of my life. Only seemed fair to anthropomorphise him!! :joyful:

Also, Percy was merely down to my need for alliteration when I name my inanimate objects (I do it with my cars too!) :joyful::joyful:

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love that Percy has a name, @zoze_j!

I chose a name for mine when it was first on the cards that I was having one. But then when I met it I found that I didn't think of it in that way, which was a huge surprise. I don't know why I feel that it doesn't have a name.

However, my penguin pump sock, which I use at night, is called 'Socky'. Yup, original. And my Libre sensor (I'm on my first sensor but any subsequent ones will be this too) is a 'smartie' and the Libre handset is the 'bipper'. Am having a whale of a time 'smartie bipping' even if that does make me sound a little crazy........

Is it just us girls who anthropomorphise our cars and our kit?

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I love that Percy has a name, @zoze_j!

I chose a name for mine when it was first on the cards that I was having one. But then when I met it I found that I didn't think of it in that way, which was a huge surprise. I don't know why I feel that it doesn't have a name.

However, my penguin pump sock, which I use at night, is called 'Socky'. Yup, original. And my Libre sensor (I'm on my first sensor but any subsequent ones will be this too) is a 'smartie' and the Libre handset is the 'bipper'. Am having a whale of a time 'smartie bipping' even if that does make me sound a little crazy........

Is it just us girls who anthropomorphise our cars and our kit?

Penguin pump sock?! I need one of these in my life!!

Smartie bipping!! I LOVE that!! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

I think it must be. The only male I've ever met who does that is my gay friend Ric, who owns "Martin the Mazda" !! :D

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you DO! Here it is: http://www.ipsox.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=14

Got mine (and a frog one!) for my birthday. I was so choked!

Martin the Mazda? Well, that's good alliteration, although I might've gone for something a little more exotic..... MacGyver, perhaps would be my choice for a Mazda.

(No offence intended to any Martins!)

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
Yes you DO! Here it is: http://www.ipsox.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=14

Got mine (and a frog one!) for my birthday. I was so choked!

Martin the Mazda? Well, that's good alliteration, although I might've gone for something a little more exotic..... MacGyver, perhaps would be my choice for a Mazda.

(No offence intended to any Martins!)

Ohmygosh! This is amazing!!!! :D:D:D
Bit of a daft question....how do they, if at all, attach to you? And if not, where do you put them? Haha :rolleyes:

Yes I agree. He's not very creative, bless him!! :joyful:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gorgeous, isn't he? He's literally just an oblong sock - I just roll my pump tube around my pump and stick it into Socky. Socky gets popped into my pyjama pocket and then all snug until morning. V useful if you don't want to trip over the tubing when turning over in bed. I used to use a Spibelt overnight - and still do if my pjs don't have a pocket in that particular pair - but the sock is very easy to live with overnight, especially, erm, if a pocket - or indeed a trouser - is for some reason not available....

For daytime I use a Hid-In multiway body band - an amazing piece of kit.
http://www.hid-in.com/

arniemouse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Haha well, I named him because he's with me 24/7 & will be for the rest of my life. Only seemed fair to anthropomorphise him!! :joyful:

Also, Percy was merely down to my need for alliteration when I name my inanimate objects (I do it with my cars too!) :joyful::joyful:
I think you should start a thread 'what do you call your.....' and see what other names people have could be amusing. We have named cars and I have a new shopping trolley red and white with multicoloured dogs called Flo!

Reactions: 3 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I think you should start a thread 'what do you call your.....' and see what other names people have could be amusing. We have named cars and I have a new shopping trolley red and white with multicoloured dogs called Flo!

That's a fab idea @arniemouse! I'll get on that ASAP!

Flo? I love it!! :D