Type 2 exercise

MTB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, What metabolic processes are going on when your blood glucose levels rise after half an hour's exercise and 500 calories burnt?
Regards
MTB

MTB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sweetlucie.

Many thanks for the response with the attached link. I have Cycled / Mountain biked for the last 50 years, at least 5 days week always carry a hydration system and wear the appropriate clothing and shoes. Have a BMI of 22. However my glucose levels are inconsistent, sometimes high and sometimes low post ride.

The only tip that might be relevant to me is the one suggesting a carbohydrate snack but if I have Insulin resistance/ T2, surely that would increase my glucose levels even more as I can't utilise the glucose efficiently, or is the theory: because my glucose reserves are low the liver kicks in to boost the depleted glucose levels, which raises the question in my mind. What is the critical BG level and how do I judge to compensate without raising my glucose levels wildly? A thought, Is it possible to evaluate glucose levels by the calories consumed as the ride progresses?

Many Thanks

MTB

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi MTB, have you noticed a blood sugar pattern with the 'type of ride'? What I mean is if I do exercise that is mainly cardio so I'm plodding along my sugars drop. If I do anything like HIIT or weights it increases.
I suppose that may translate into endurance (?) riding and sprinting and up and down like a mad b...........? (Can you tell the closest I get to riding a bike is spin class?)
I lower my insulin for cardio- you could eat glucotablets before hand? Or straight after as you will be more insulin sensitive.
For mad sprints I up my insulin before - could you do it fasted and skip a meal so your blood sugars start lower? There tends to be big snatch back of glucose afterwards. Being lchf I can get a free meal (no insulin needed) afterwards. Or could you then finish off with some plodding work to use the sugar up?
I do an insanity class (spike) followed by a spin class (low) to head off the spike.
Of course all this needs to be done testing.
I do remember a life before all this!
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello. I had a similar situation with blood sugar rising after an hour's Nordic walking. I discussed it with my doctor who suggested that it's the adrenaline rush which comes with increased competition which causes it. That would account for why a five mile walk at normal speed brings it down nicely but walking at 3.6miles per hour doesn't. I don't know if this is right but his doctor friend with type 1who he plays squash with gave this explanation.
Clairese

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your body can store about 2000 calories worth of glycogen to use as energy reserves. About 1500 of that is stored in your skeletal muscle and cannot be transferred to other parts of your body. The other 500 is stored in your liver and can be released whenever and wherever needed.

Unfortunately, when our body THINKS we need it and when we ACTUALLY need it aren't always the same. Our livers can "Dump" glucose in the morning which is why many of us have elevated morning blood sugar levels (dawn phenomenon).

With exercise, our bodies can exhibit similar behavior and it's important to understand how your body reacts to specific types of exercise.

The two most common types of exercise I do are heavy weight lifting and short distance running (3-6miles at a time) at a pace of about 6-7mph.

Heavy weight lifting does not provoke a blood glucose spike for me and I'm extremely sensitive to insulin after heavy weight lifting. My blood sugar will rapidly drop 30-60 minutes after a weight lifting session.

Running is a bit different for me. As soon as I start running, my blood sugar spikes as my liver begins sending its stores of glucose to my blood. Eventually, I deplete my liver's glycogen reserves and my blood sugar starts to fall (usually after about 30 minutes of running). Furthermore, I find that my fasting glucose levels are about 1-1.5mmol/l higher on the days I don't workout (assuming I take the same amount of insulin).

Remember that your body won't always burn 100% glucose or 100% fat (ketones). Generally speaking, your body is more likely to burn glucose when your heart rate is significantly elevated because it's a quick source of energy. Your body would generally burn fat in lower heart rate situations . That's why you may see bodybuilders walking on treadmills rather than running. The idea is to burn as much fat as possible and retain as much glucose/glycogen.

Again, everyone is different and there are many other factors that can affect how your body responds to exercise. I'm 27 years old and in fairly good shape so my body doesn't seem to realize walking is an exercise. Consequently, I have no blood sugar changes as a result of walking while many others may.

MTB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Mrs Vimes, Clase and TorqPendeloin. Thanks for the response and the info of your experiences.

I guess there is a sort of pattern, I do roughly the same route over the same time span and roughly the same calories burnt, this anomaly has started since I started on the LCHF diet, prior to that my glucose had always dropped after a ride.

This is why I am trying to ascertain if I need to have a carbohydrate supplement part way through the ride or before I ride.

I guess I am answering my own question and need to experiment with the two scenarios.

Many Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

MTB