T1 first pregnancy blood sugar worries!

jodie_2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I've not long found out I am 6 weeks pregnant, my HBA1 was perfect pre conception, but after seeing my consultant last week I am filled with fear and can't stop worrying about my blood sugars! They have spiked and I've had a couple of 12 & 13 readings post meal and I find sometimes their so unpredictable and I can't help but worry that I'm harming my baby even though I'm trying my hardest! Do any of you have advice and is it possible to still have a healthy baby after these readings? I'm worrying myself sick! we've been TTC for almost 2 years. thank you.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jodie, congratulations! don't stress yourself out we can't have perfect readings all the time no matter how hard we try, I'm currently 21 weeks with my first baby and get spikes which are very frustrating but I just correct it and move on as that's the only thing I can really do. All the girls will say the same thing :) X

jodie_2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you & congratulations, do you know what your having?90% of the time they are in range it's just the spikes I worry about. My consultant fed me with all these horror stories which makes it worse! I have my first scan on Wednesday which I'm looking forward too as I'm constantly buying tests to check it's really happening! haha x

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi don't stress first of all it will make things worse! And congratulations.
Are you pumping or injections?
I've had 2 pregnancies-daughter now 2 and twins 4 months. Have you tried bolus about 15 mins before food? I used to test half hour after meal too to see if I was on track and bolus more if necessary. Hormones do all sorts to sugars.
I tested a lot it was my way of doing things. My last hba1c when I was pregnant was perfect and was pretty much good the whole pregnancy but I did have spikes but just tried to get them down ASAP

jodie_2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!

I'm injections.

Yes I usually do 15 mins before the only time I struggle to do that is when I'm at work it's normally 5-10 mins before.

Thanks for the advice I have upped how often I test just because I'm so worried I've become obsessed as such, but you're right I don't think the stress helps.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic about the spikes. Correct them and move on :) I had some highs in early pregnancy, including some 13s and it freaked me out! But then that changed to lots of lows for the first trimester.

If you think of control in pregnancy as a 'full time job' then that's more accurate. Things will change all the time, so the fact that you have some spikes isn't necessarily because you did anything wrong. You'll be watching, testing and adjusting a lot in pregnancy, so it's rare that you have weeks where you think "Great - everything's perfect!" Things change as your hormones and your body changes, so you're always monitoring and reacting. So a high is just a blip - correct, analyse why you went high, then see if you need to change anything to avoid that happening at the same time the next day.

And congratulations on your pregnancy! :cool:

Edited to add - yes, testing lots is crucial! I tested loads of times each day.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you & congratulations, do you know what your having?90% of the time they are in range it's just the spikes I worry about. My consultant fed me with all these horror stories which makes it worse! I have my first scan on Wednesday which I'm looking forward too as I'm constantly buying tests to check it's really happening! haha x

Yeah I found out Friday it's a girl :)

I think we all get fed with the horror stories and it's good to bare them in mind but don't obsess over them, everyone is different you just have to try the best that you can do, as @azure said its like a full time job!

Stop buying tests it will cost you a fortune even at 21 weeks with a bump and feeling baby move around I think to myself most days, is this real?! Lol

Let us know how you get on at your scan :) xx