A massive rant - diabetes.co.uk

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion, and as I have observed it, the only time I see any resistance to write home about is where a poster is somewhat outspoken on a topic - It often happens when T1s get fed up of being grouped by the great unknowing-un-washed-public with T2s who are (usually by the protester's opinion) who have brought diabetes upon themselves.

To be clear, this post isn't aimed at anyone, just stating what I have seen and my interpretation of how others have reacted.

I'll say it again, as I have many times on the forum, diabetes is a portfolio disease, with much common ground, but many differences. Not all T1s take insulin (e.g. those who are on honeymoon), not all T2s are overweight. Not all dementia sufferers have T3, and not everyone who has suffered pancreatic disease gets T3c. Some will; some won't, and some are more seriously afflicted, whatever type of diabetes they have.

@Administrator have raised their hand to an error, apologised and stated they have corrected the issue. Surely, with such a complex and potentially unforgiving condition, we should have pretty open minds when things don't quite go right.

I know I have tried very hard to grasp control of my diabetes, and thus far, it seems to be going well, but that is with the support and considerable goodwill of this site, and it's contributors of all types. Without it, I would not have progressed as I have.

removed unnecessary type2 label .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How many threads have we seen with exactly the same wording, there have been plenty of rants on the forum over the years and the Op's first post starts off thus :-
Firstly sorry sorry sorry to everyone for a huge (and somewhat uncharacteristic) rant. As everyone knows by now I'm type 3C, it very rare and to be quite frank a particularly nasty, hard to control, brittle form of diabetes.
It was well put together and not aggressive or rude, surely everyone is entitled to a rant/moan from time to time?;) it gets it out of one's system and often benefits from some good positive response's.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I'll be the one to say it.....yea you're being petty. Not only do you have a place to discuss your disease but you now have a specific subsection to discuss your particular type of the disease......and not only that.....but that place made a Facebook post in good faith trying to help you promote a discussion, but made the mistake of leaving out a single letter (whether intentional or not) and you feel entitled to make a "Massive rant" .....that's the DEFINITION of petty.

Get real.
I agree - too many "ranters" on the forum and the word "rant" is usually stuck in the title so people read these threads. It's becoming very tabloid this forum. Other words like "***" usually get lobbed in too.

S

Shar67

You don't have to read or give opinions on posts, especially if you have nothing constructive to say.
The poster is sharing part of their emotions on a subject.
Sometimes in the heat of the moment you want to get something off your chest, you type, send feel better. This may not be the best way to post but we have all done it.
As with every forum, you will get lurkers, devil's advocates, mean, rude, aggressive, great, sympathetic, empathetic, friendly, educated, ignorant, perverse, condescending, just ordinary people.
It is a shame that some of the negative people will act in a manner that causes someone to leave the formum especially if that person was a good advocate with advice and help for people interested in their diabetic type.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I, myself, like @mrspuddleduck, was chuffed to bits when me and @Brunneria were allowed to set up our own sub forum.
With the backing and support of many members and posters, we are here to help those who haven't got the knowledge or wherewithal to seek help.
This is the support that the op is not wanting to lose, and she does need support from all of us.
Unfortunately, we have had a similar, request rebuffed because @admin and mods do not have the authority to change the home page even though the dietary is still suggesting for RH to eat a certain amount of carbs. Now of course I have contacted admin to get it changed, but of course, nothing has happened, these things take time.
If a RH patient, goes to home page instead of the forum the discrepancy could be harmful, especially somebody, who has had the usual bad advice from doctors, dieticians and dsns!
I think this is the best forum ever invented, it has some wonderful knowledgeable and friendly posters on here and I don't think that I would be as good as I am without finding this site.
Of course that sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth.
The sub forums work for us RH ers, how many of those who come on here knew about our condition. We all need to learn from one another!
About ranting, I believe that everyone has a justification to get what is worrying them wether petty or not! This is what posting is all about! We should not judge other posters! And support all diabetics no matter, what type they are, even if they haven't got a label type like us RH ers!

And lastly, we need posters like @mrspuddleduck, she is invaluable to the forum.
Who else has so much knowledge?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think rants are fine. If I'm not in the mood to read it, I don't.

And I think multiple forums are better too. As a Type 1 I don't object to being grouped with Type 2s (by the unwashed and semi-literate 'normies') but I do like a separate space where we can discuss our very different conditions. I don't agree at all that they are the same and yes, I come here to get advice from T1s and only from T1s.

So, yes, great to have to 'drill down' to find your forum. It works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app