Splenda Sweetners

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

I have been lurking for a while on the forums and reading up on the LCHF diet. I am type 2.

My last visit to my DN saw my Hbca1 rise from 53mmol to 68mmol. I have decided to finally start the LCHF diet but wondered if i could ask.....i use splenda, both the powder and mini tabs. Are these ok to use?
Thanks

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I have been lurking for a while on the forums and reading up on the LCHF diet. I am type 2.

My last visit to my DN saw my Hbca1 rise from 53mmol to 68mmol. I have decided to finally start the LCHF diet but wondered if i could ask.....i use splenda, both the powder and mini tabs. Are these ok to use?
Thanks
It's a loaded question and I'll do my best to answer it without this thread getting to 5+ pages.

-Some people find artificial sweeteners like Splenda give them sugar cravings which can be problematic. There are studies to suggest these cravings are more prevalent in people with type 2 diabetes.
-There is inconclusive evidence to suggest artificial sweeteners are harmful in large quantities (or in some cases only "Massive" quantities)
-There is anecdotal evidence to suggest artificial sweeteners are harmful in normal quantities.
-Furthermore, there are a very small few who claim to experience blood sugar changes as a result of sweeteners like Splenda.
-HOWEVER, the vast majority of people consider Splenda to be safe and especially in normal quantities. Most people experience no short or long-term negative effects resulting from the consumption of Splenda.

Basically, if you were to ask 100 people to answer your question:
90 would say they're perfectly okay to use
8 would say they're harmful long-term
2 would say they're harmful short and long-term

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much TorqPenderLoin....much appreciated