Regular moderate exercise log

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My walking targets (according to my fitness monitor) are still 8,000-and-something. I'm sure I'll not hit 10,000 till the spring! This weather is really knocking my walking. Some of my regular walks are along riverside paths which are either under water or just deep, deep mud, so I'm having to re-think routines that were developing. And I just do not like all this cold rain!

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My walking targets (according to my fitness monitor) are still 8,000-and-something. I'm sure I'll not hit 10,000 till the spring! This weather is really knocking my walking. Some of my regular walks are along riverside paths which are either under water or just deep, deep mud, so I'm having to re-think routines that were developing. And I just do not like all this cold rain!

I think you are doing well. Most of my walking is town walking as even the local park has some of it's paths under water or really muddy, I have invested in water proof clothing and boots and that has helped but am really hoping for better weather soon, I have been keeping up my usual walking.

Reactions: 3 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Spent Friday in bed sick, weekend full of family stuff and today meetings all day so no lunchbreak. Exercise fail here. Hope to get back on track this week.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok, I started my week on a satisfactory note. 16 minutes of running, followed by 35 minutes of resistance workouts.

Dec0341.png

So total is 41 minutes, 490 calories spent.

You can also see yesterday's 5k details.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
Sorry for butting in here, but I thought I would just make you aware of a thread I posted earlier on today about exercise intensity and fitness. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-and-exciting-information.92345/#post-1057205
Basically I spotted a study in which walking was tested for effectiveness at managing diabetes (BG levels, weight, %fat, aerobic fitness et). The study compared the benefits of continuous walking, vs intermittent intensive and slow recovery walking (3 mins of each). The results showed an amazing difference, with vastly greater improvements for the combination intensive/recovery form of the exercise.
Anyway, I just thought I would pop my head in to say that if you're out walking, swimming, or whatever you're doing, try mixing it up a bit. Vary the pace - fast then slow and the results from the study suggest you'll get far more benefits.:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Gym today, treadmill, rowing and weights.

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I cycle to work everyday ~ 28 km in total. Tuesday 09/02/16 was the worst conditions I've ever cycled in , torrential rain and westerly 60 km gusts of winds. I was blown off my bike twice , no injuries luckily. Nothing will stop me exercising, it is essential to my T1 management plan :-0

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Sorry for butting in here, but I thought I would just make you aware of a thread I posted earlier on today about exercise intensity and fitness. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-and-exciting-information.92345/#post-1057205
Basically I spotted a study in which walking was tested for effectiveness at managing diabetes (BG levels, weight, %fat, aerobic fitness et). The study compared the benefits of continuous walking, vs intermittent intensive and slow recovery walking (3 mins of each). The results showed an amazing difference, with vastly greater improvements for the combination intensive/recovery form of the exercise.
Anyway, I just thought I would pop my head in to say that if you're out walking, swimming, or whatever you're doing, try mixing it up a bit. Vary the pace - fast then slow and the results from the study suggest you'll get far more benefits.:)

I think I'd read the same reports, and realise when I walk longer distances in the countryside, this comes built in! Paths and gradients aren't even, and nor is my pace. With cycling, it varies even more.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cycle to work everyday ~ 28 km in total. Tuesday 09/02/16 was the worst conditions I've ever cycled in , torrential rain and westerly 60 km gusts of winds. I was blown off my bike twice , no injuries luckily. Nothing will stop me exercising, it is essential to my T1 management plan :-0

You have my utmost respect! As a child I cycled to school every day, regardless of the weather - there was no alternative. And if it was all too rough, we just got off and pushed our bikes. Now, I let the bad weather put me off even walking!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Used to cycle to the station, became too scared while pregnant! Once child arrived the extra half hour journey was too much in the bedtime routine.
Gym today, cycling in the mix for a change.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
1 x 30 and 1 x 24 minute walks trialling using 3 Minute intervals Fast Walking/Strolling as per @Bebo321 earlier post

Reactions: 6 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
1 x 30 and 1 x 24 minute walks trialling using 3 Minute intervals Fast Walking/Strolling as per @Bebo321 earlier post
Fantastic! - keep us posted on progress. Let's see if this makes a real difference in 'free living conditions':)

Mackempaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm back with my PT after a knee operation, my eating is now very healthy and I've not had a reading over 7 for 2 months. It's given me a massive boost and I feel absolutely amazing

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First walk for ages where I've gone way over my target number of steps for the day! I'm sure the sunshine and bright blue skies had something to do with it.

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a brilliant idea this thread, @RuthW. I'm going to join you guys. One-hour walk down to the sea and along the beach yesterday in brilliant sun and cold. And four sets of interval training on the cross-trainer - max 18 seconds! But I have to start somewhere.

I overdid some lunges and a warrior pose two weeks ago and hurt my knee, so being very very careful as I work up to things again.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Had to pull the pin on my half hour walks yesterday due to some knee soreness. Will start again tomorrow