Animas Sports Weekend

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So excited to have just received my confirmation e-mail!

Congratulations!

We can confirm that you have secured a place for the Animas® Sports Weekend taking place on the Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th May and your payment has been processed.

We are delighted you can join us for the Animas® Sports Weekend. We hope you enjoy the event and the opportunity to collaborate with other people from throughout the UK and Ireland who share your interest for sports and exercise, whilst living with type 1 diabetes.

I'd tried to book on it as soon as I received the e-mail about it on Tuesday, but the website wasn't playing ball - I had thought it must've already been fully booked, but a quick phone call resulted in the problem being sorted and there were still spaces up for grabs.

I started my journey to getting fit last spring, and it's paying dividends in how well I feel in general. I'm really looking forward to finding out more about how to manage my diabetes when exercising - up until now it's been trial and error, and a lot of hard work to get the balance right - and not always managing it - so roll on May!

:D

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are in for a great time! Trying new stuff under safe conditions. The facilities are brilliant, the guest speakers interesting and the activities are fun.
(There is also a decent bar.).
The science behind the sports gives you an excellent place to start to nail down your own routines.
And the biggie - YOU ARE NORMAL COS EVERYONE (almost) IS DIABETIC.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply @Mrs Vimes - I'm looking forward to improving my confidence in all this exercise malarkey, and your 'you are normal' comment has really touched me, so thank you so much. It'll be great to feel part of a crowd where we're all in the same boat.

Beenie1

Morning!

What is the animas sports weekend? I'm very interested in sports and type 1 as I also work on trial and error when it comes to this!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Beenie1 - it's the weekend of 7th and 8th May. Hang on and I'll find you the link.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got the e-mail but decided to give it a miss, wasn't convinced about the value for money

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went as a newbie. I got s lot out of it. @ElyDave I think you are much, much further down the road of fitness so you probably wouldn't get value for money.

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
UPDATE: I went on the Animas Sports Weekend early this month - it was absolutely incredible. We were 50 or so type 1s, all interested in exercise, and there was a whole range of people there from beginners to Ironman triathletes and everything in between.

I've just posted most of what follows in the Regular Moderate Exercise Log thread, and I thought it would be useful to post it here, too. I wanted to just share what I learned about controlling peaking blood glucose levels after exercise:

Treadmill yesterday - did a longer, slower cool-down and thus avoided the need for an increased temporary basal rate afterwards - was really pleased. Normally I'll do 150% of my normal basal rate for 3-4 hours after exercise to keep me around 6-7mmol/l. I was staggered.

Swimming today - did 2 more lengths than normal, and the last 5 lengths were much slower and steadier. Wasn't actually convinced that this would have prevented the post-swim blood sugar climb, so set a 130% TBR for 3 hours....... which I stopped within the hour when I found I was unexpectedly 3.7mmol/l%!

I think I've cracked this exercise thing!

Two and a half weeks ago I went on the Animas Sports Weekend - if you're into exercise, at whatever level, do consider going to the next one - this is the first year they're running two - the other one this year is in October, then it's going to be May and October after that - anyway, the above is one of the techniques I learned on the weekend to steady-up my rampagingly-climbing high sugars after exercise.

https://www.animascorp.co.uk/SportsWeekend
If you're interested, places sell out incredibly quickly (within 48 hours this time). It's for type 1s, you don't have to be using an Animas pump - it's open to all type 1s - places are first come, first served, and you are only allowed to attend the weekend once (i.e. you can't go again and again). I'd recommend e-mailing them via the above link to register your interest, then you'll get an e-mail to let you know when registration opens for the next event.

Happy exercising, all!

:)

Reactions: 4 people

gmitch_type1

Hi @Snapsy
I am going to the ASW in October and can't wait.
I am a keen cyclist and normally reduce my basal by -70% while exercising and then as soon as I finish I bolus approx 10 units to stop me from going too high.
Interesting to hear that you slow down at the end of your exercise, how long do you cool down for??
I tend to get home, fall off my bike cos im so tired and then try to sort my sugar levels.

Last edited: