This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read what you've just written and then think about whether that actually makes you qualified to be offering advice? I mean seriously "I've been failing for decades, I know just what you need!"

You seem to be taking this as an attack upon yourself and your diet. It's not. It's advice. This will be my last post on this thread as I can see that jamrox has already found a good plan and doesn't need any more input from me.

I tried to advise a friend who was doing one of these fashionable wonder diets a couple of years back. I told her to take things more slowly that losing weight so fast wasn't good. Of course she didn't listen. We all love to see the arrow on the scales on its way down. As long as we stay healthy on a day to day basis that's all we care about. Long term though fast weight loss is not good. This friend has now put back on the weight she lost and has messed up her thyroid gland bigtime. It's not just a case of taking thyroxine for the rest of her life. That doesn't work for her. She's messed up her body for a quick fix. Knowing about this and what has happened to me and others I posted on this thread as a warning that these quick fixes shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

In your quote above it would be more accurate to say "I've been failing for decades, I know just what you don't need...and that's a quick fix diet plan"

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Thanks people , all this has , if nothing else , got me thinking about what I was eating again . I think the words "slippage from my lower carb diet " into " Mmm rhubarb pie and custard diet"

I do need a challenge , a focus .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks people , all this has , if nothing else , got me thinking about what I was eating again . I think the words "slippage from my lower carb diet " into " Mmm rhubarb pie and custard diet"

I do need a challenge , a focus .

And you found it, good work Jamrox. Keep us up to date with your progress. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really hoping the same is true for me and I'll see a big dip in fasting blood sugars when I lose my final stone in weight.

My fasting sugars; indeed all my sugars, were low long before the teenie, tiny wast showed its hand.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And personal anecdotes are great Zand. But is it really relevant to the Newcastle / 8WBS diet? we know you can 'mess up' this and that with all manner of fad diets. But very few fad diets have been constructed and tested by medical experts. Very few of them have been created out of models of excellence (real world results).

So, I'm not taking anything as a personal attack. I'm merely, albeit in a non too humble manner, asking that people differentiate between what can be used as a criticism of the actual Newcastle / 8WBS diets and what cannot.

A lot of what I'm reading amounts to "I tried X and my experience was negative. Therefore I definitely would not recommend Y". Not only does it not make sense it simply isn't fair to be passing off 'advice' that is unfounded.
OK I said I was out, but you quoted me.....:) I did my version of the Newcastle Diet primarily to try to reverse diabetes. After 3 weeks my blood glucose reading were all back into the normal range and that was great.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
EdMac you are clearly passionate about this and I'm glad it's working for you .

I do understand about the yoyo diets too . I lost 2 stone over about 18 months and it had stayed off ( well except 7 lb that comes and goes ). I keep it off more by being active , I love being active but at the moment
my knees to sore to do much . I'm on holiday today and hopefully ( if it's dry ) I'm going to hobble along Prestwick shore .

I've just had a bowl of porridge and raspberries which was easier to make than I thought . Hope it doesn't cause a spike , not had porridge in years but the book says it's ok so I'll give it a go.
Feel ok so far today .

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was newly diagnosed. That's why I rushed into it straight away before there was much info out there about the ND. I had watched the programs on TV and made a note of things because I knew I was already pre-diabetic and that I may be needing it some day.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Haha EdMac for once the storm isn't hitting the South West of Scotland so should be ok. I'm like a caged animal not being able to get out much and sadly I swim like a brick lol

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Aaaahgg the husband grills bacon .... Resist resist

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol when you are through this 8 week plan you can do LCHF and have fried or grilled bacon! Not many more days now......;)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
He had 2 bacon sandwiches on warburtons toasty .... I had a plum and a cup of tea !!! I survived lol

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that's just plain cruel. Shame on him. Well done to you though. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
It's my determination haha

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Day 3 nearly over and still ok .
Been busy hobbling about and I find that's it's half 8 and I have 200 calories left . I will enjoy my dark chocolate lol and my plum.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
On a serious note I know I shouldn't still have 200 calories left at 8pm . I need to sort that

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a serious note I know I shouldn't still have 200 calories left at 8pm . I need to sort that
I've already voiced my concerns and there's no need to beat a dead horse, but if you're itching to eat more food, my advice is to go for a run and burn another 200+ calories so you can go to sleep without feeling hungry.

The way I look at it is this: you can eat 800 calories and burn 1500 without exercise, or you can eat 1000 calories and burn 1700. Either way, it's the same deficit.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TorqPenderloin I think jamrox has too much food left? She has only had 600 calories so far and therefore needs to consume another 200? Well at least I think that's what she is saying.

Also she can't go for a run as she is hobbling with an injured knee. That's the whole point of reducing calories for 8 weeks while she can't exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
No way am I stupid enough not to eat all the calories I am allowed . Over the past 2 years I have been active nearly every day and often at the end of the day myfitnesspal app says my calories are around 11-1200 after it takes into account my exercise that is .I am terrified that all my good work in getting to a place where I am in reverse mode will go to pot because I have a gammy knee and because of that can't walk or go on my exercise bike etc , I wish I could swim but I can't , I mainly sink .
I also because I'm not a good patient I have eaten rubbish and it needs to stop . To be honest I'd be surprised if I go the 8 weeks , I'm hoping my knee will be better but at least I ll be focused and it will stop me eating so much **** and rhubarb pie and custard .

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I'm not hungry , I've just had a roast chicken dinner , ok not loads of chicken but loads of broccoli , cauliflower , Brussels and carrots , no hardship I love veg . Also had a plum .
I'm now enjoying some 70% dark chocolate .
I'm soaking my porridge for tomorrow morning and will have a chicken salad at lunch time with 2 plums .
I am eating really healthy .

Reactions: 6 people