Waiting for my fasting blood test appointment

sophiesmummy

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone,
I've got my fasting blood test appointmet in 3 weeks (to find whether or not I have diabetes), but myself and my fiance are on a course (which will be our 8th week of the course) and I am worried about how I am going to cope with not being able to have anything to eat drink until after my appointment n my fian has said that he'll still have a coffee knowing full well I can't n its really upsetting me.. I have asked him nicely not to have one at the course, but he said that he is. I'm in two minds of whether I should go to the course or not on that day as I won't be able to have anything to eat or drink until after my appointment. The last time I had a fasting blood test I was feeling really dizzy before and after my appointment. My doctor advised me to take something to eat and drink with me for having after my appointment.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I've got my fasting blood test appointmet in 3 weeks (to find whether or not I have diabetes), but myself and my fiance are on a course (which will be our 8th week of the course) and I am worried about how I am going to cope with not being able to have anything to eat drink until after my appointment n my fian has said that he'll still have a coffee knowing full well I can't n its really upsetting me.. I have asked him nicely not to have one at the course, but he said that he is. I'm in two minds of whether I should go to the course or not on that day as I won't be able to have anything to eat or drink until after my appointment. The last time I had a fasting blood test I was feeling really dizzy before and after my appointment. My doctor advised me to take something to eat and drink with me for having after my appointment.
Think you should have the fasting test on a different day. And make sure it is a fasting test. I fasted and felt quite low and the idiots did a random one which I had to repeat as a fasting test again yesterday.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Think you should have the fasting test on a different day. And make sure it is a fasting test. I fasted and felt quite low and the idiots did a random one which I had to repeat as a fasting test again yesterday.
Glad it's not just me - I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago pre my diabetic check and they didn't do the hba1c but a random one instead! Ironically they tested everything else apart from the most relevant one!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Can you get you blood test done first thing in the morning and take something to eat/ drink afterwards?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be far more simple to phone the surgery and arrange your appointment for a day when you are not on the course, and as early in the morning as possible. If you have to wait a bit longer for this appointment it won't make a jot of difference to you. It is very important that you do fast.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Take you doctors advice and take something with you to eat and drink after the test and you will be fine. Sounds like the dizziness you experienced last time was perhaps stress about having the test Just going a few hours without food should not really cause that just make sure you drink plenty of water before you have it