Buying Medtronic consumables

thatgumulike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

i was supposed to be starting on a 640g at the end of February, but I've just been told that I can't get it. I live just outside the area my health board covers since moving house 2 years ago, and my new area are refusing to fund it.

I'm now looking at going down the open source artificial pancreas route - see openaps.org. I'm a software developer by trade so I should be able to get that working for me. I'd need to buy a Dexcom G4 and an older Medtronic pump like the Veo.

So I'd be buying a second hand pump and I don't know how i could get access to infusion sets and reservoirs? From what I've read, it sounds like you need to buy direct from Medtronic, but can only do so if you got the pump from them, either through self funding or via the NHS. Does anyone know any more info on that or any other UK supplier I could buy from? Or even an overseas supplier who ships to the UK?

Thanks
Colin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
i was supposed to be starting on a 640g at the end of February, but I've just been told that I can't get it. I live just outside the area my health board covers since moving house 2 years ago, and my new area are refusing to fund it.
Hi Colin have you contacted INPUT? I'm sure that continuation of care has to be offered so if you haven't contact them as well as other avenues. http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

iHs

Some time ago, Animas UK supplied adapters so that Medtronic pumps could connect to Luer tubes. For some reason or another, these adapters seem to have been removed from the supplies list???

A company in the US used to supply them FiftyFifty Medical so getting hold of an adaptor should also enable the buying of luer lock tubes and sets a bit cheaper. There is a U Tube video on them.

thatgumulike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Colin have you contacted INPUT? I'm sure that continuation of care has to be offered so if you haven't contact them as well as other avenues. http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/
Thanks CarbsRok, I'll have a look into that. I am keen to fight my case, but with it being so close to the date i was due to start, I'm kind of resigned to not getting it this month. Maybe I'll be able to get funding after a delay though.

thatgumulike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some time ago, Animas UK supplied adapters so that Medtronic pumps could connect to Luer tubes. For some reason or another, these adapters seem to have been removed from the supplies list???

A company in the US used to supply them FiftyFifty Medical so getting hold of an adaptor should also enable the buying of luer lock tubes and sets a bit cheaper. There is a U Tube video on them.
Thanks! Yeah, I have seen a few mentions of that online, I'll send some emails and see what I can find out.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear that @thatgumulike. Hope they are able to get you on the pump - what a shame that the geography makes a difference.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just a thought , are they refusing to fund a pump end of or is it just the pump you want? If a consultant says you meet the NICE criteria the CCG can not refuse to fund a pump.

Reactions: 2 people

thatgumulike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought , are they refusing to fund a pump end of or is it just the pump you want? If a consultant says you meet the NICE criteria the CCG can not refuse to fund a pump.
They're refusing to fund a pump, end of. I'm in Scotland, so the situation is a little different (my impression is that it's harder to get a pump here than in England). There's only one pump available, the 640g, but there's now a squeeze on funding, although I don't think the situation is consistent across health boards.

Anyway, I'm going ahead with the other approach. I've ordered a Dexcom G4 transmitter and sensor and will be attempting to link it up to my Android phone via Bluetooth. If that goes to plan, I'll look at going down the OpenAPS route.