Prescribed Oxytetracycline - will these affect blood sugars ?

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone

I was recently told that my blood sugar was off the scale and should be on insulin, however, I was given 2000 metformin daily and asked to return in May. I was also given Oxytetracycline antibiotic to take due to an infection that is taking a while to heal. My blood sugar is obviously high, but will the antibiotic make it higher still ? My sister has read that antibiotics increase sugar levels, but surely the doctor wouldn't prescribe if this is true ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I don't have first hand knowledge of this particular antibiotic so I thought -- have a quick look on the net.

I was a bit surprised to see there are reports of the opposite -- that this antiobiotic has been shown to reduce blood glucose levels.

so from an anecdotal point of view it would not be the worst thing to be taking for an infection and perhaps that is exactly why your doctor prescribed this exact medicine.

hopefully others will be along with further info / views.

all the best !

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Infection causes blood sugars to rise, even though many people blame the antibiotics.

Reactions: 2 people

alaska

I think I took about 7 years ago. I noticed no major change in blood sugar. Be prepared to monitor your blood sugars more closely but I wouldn't worry too much.

I do think oxytetracycline has affected my skin as I started to get peeling skin between my eyes and nose during winter months on a yearly basis which started after taking the oxytetracycline course. The antibiotic is, in my opinion, the most likely cause of this. I gather only a proportion of people get this effect though.