Ketones

KG79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and have regularly visited this forum. The advice provided has been extremely helpful and reassuring therefore thank you all.

I have been type 1 since 18 months old therefore very familiar with my diabetes and have good control. I inject Lantus twice a day and Novorapid. I do carb counting and my HBA1Cs have always been good.

I am now writing because I am a little concerned with the fact that I have 3+ of ketones in my urine and my blood sugars have been a little elevated today. I was 9.2 at lunch for which I gave my usual ratio plus 1.5 correction but my blood sugar has not fallen below 10 all afternoon with the highest at 12.8 .

I did have my check up at the hospital this morning at which I did register ketones but they didn't seem to think it was an issue. I have been drinking a lot of water today in case it's due to dehydration but it doesn't seem to have cleared therefore I am unsure what to do next.

My last reading was at 18:17 and it was 10.9 therefore I have given a correction of 2 in the hope of getting it back to normality.

My question therefore is what action should I take? Is this dangerous for my baby? Do I continue to try to get it down at home or could it be that there is some underlying issue for which I should go to the hospital? I should say that I feel extremely well in myself so am very confused.

Thanks

K

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried changing insulin?

If it was me, I'd give someone a call, if only for my peace of mind. Can you phone your DSN out of hours? If not, what about triage?

KG79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried changing insulin - I am about half way through my cartridge and it's been fine to date therefore didn't think of that. I think I might change it, have a piece of toast now and inject with usual ratio and assess in an hour. Due to my bloods being elevated I haven't eaten since 13:45 therefore perhaps that is an issue.

We don't have out of hours DSN as far as I am aware but I can call the Labour Ward at the hospital who have been great to date. As you say it's always good to get peace of mind.

Reactions: 2 people

KG79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also are you able to advise how quickly ketones will disappear once the issue is sorted?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
What level of ketones are you showing? Are you rotating injection sites? If you change your cartridge like azure says hopefully you can get your sugars down and ketones in my experience should come down fairly quick.
xx

KG79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's 3+ and I have been moving my injection sites around. I've changed my cartridge also now so I'll see if that makes a difference and go from there.

Thanks for your help.

D

Deleted member 83869

It's 3+ and I have been moving my injection sites around. I've changed my cartridge also now so I'll see if that makes a difference and go from there.

Thanks for your help.
If you're 3+ ketones then you should be at A&E! !

KG79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Thanks for your help and support. I tested again in the evening and ketones had come down to 1+ so I continued to drink water and correct blood sugars. I tested regularly throughout the night and everything settled back to normal. I have spoken with the hospital today who suggested it was probably due to dehydration so I am ensuring I continue to drink a lot of water. It wasn't something I had considered at all but you live you learn!!!

Once again thanks. This is a really supportive forum and I'm glad I found it :)