Helping friends abroad

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone sent insulin abroad to friends who can't afford it in their country?Or is that illegal?,I'm asking because a friend of mine is seriously ill with complications because she can't afford insulin and I'd like to help her by sending her some insulin if I can.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that insulin you have on prescription from the nhs? If that's the case it wouldn't really be you helping her, but the nhs and (sorry to sound so harsh) that's not what the nhs is for.

Also, I'd be concerned about the viability of insulin posted internationally. I could be wrong, but I think it would probably be frozen in the cargo hold of a plane or at high temperature for a long time on a ship. So, it might not do her much good once it got there.

I'm sorry your friend is struggling. I just wonder if there is a better way to help her. There must be some charities who help diabetics who can't afford insulin, maybe do a bit of googling to see what they suggest. Or do a bit more research about what support is available in her country.

Reactions: 4 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be concerned about the viability of insulin posted internationally
Totally agree - I don't think it would be any good for her once it got there. But more importantly, however well meaning it is, if you sent anything you had claimed on prescription it would actually be illegal - it's fraud of the NHS.

I really hope you can find another way to help. If you can find a charity that could help you could do some fundraising for them and then you'd feel like you were helping your friend, and others too?