Hypos while breastfeeding

jade88

Hi Ladies,
I remember a lot of you mentioning suffering from hypos whilst breast feeding and was just wondering if it was still OK to use dextrose tabs to correct these? xxx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I had loads of lucozade and the midwives told me it was OK as your body processes/filters it so it's ok for baby xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ladies,
I remember a lot of you mentioning suffering from hypos whilst breast feeding and was just wondering if it was still OK to use dextrose tabs to correct these? xxx

Sure :) Lucozade is great too, as @1Sarah1 says. That's what I used.

Snacks are essential too. I was told to have an extra 10-20g of carbs each time I fed. I didn't precisely stick to that, but I did eat frequently and had things like flapjacks, biscuits, etc nearby. I found that sometimes I went low in between feeds too, so I had a carby snack then to 'top me up' (without a bolus). And, of course, I ate more generally to provide all the extra calories needed.

jade88

Thanks ladies wasn't sure if they would have any effect on my milk! Can't believe how little insulin I require at the moment! And I'm still hypoing when feeding lol! x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm still not back to pre pregnancy insulin and twins are 4 months. I think it's all the running around especially after my 2yr old who is diabetic. I'm still topping up on the lucozade now x

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I use juice as it ensures i get liquid too