Type 2 Life

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps - Are you using a meter to check your b.s. during the day?
@liam1955, yes I am. I bought one two weeks ago, and am testing regularly to see how foods affect me. For the first week the numbers were all fairly pleasing, apart from the FBG and also immediately post exercise (I go to the gym every evening), but for the last 2 days they have been consistently high (10.2 2 hours after eating a meal tonight when the same meal a few days ago gave a 7.3 reading). I have a very sore throat and feel on the edge of a cold, so don't know if that has affected things. It's very drpressing though as I thought things were going in the right direction.

Reactions: 7 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @TooManyCrisps - Could well be your blood sugars are high due to you "comming down with a bug" - blood sugars do go up with illness. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, water and sugar free drinks, and I would test a bit more whilst not feeling too good. :)

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@13lizanne I do at least 6 hrs walking a week sometimes a bit.more but nothing else. I have always walked so nothing as changed as far as that is concerned so for me my diet was what has had the biggest impact on BS.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know, I do feel really sorry for the people who accept what the GP/DN tells them and who would probably give our way of managing their diabetes a go if they only knew about lchf etc. Do you take a lot of exercise @4ratbags ?

Unfortunately a lot of diabetics type 2 that I know would prefer to be on pills rather than make lifestyle changes. Most thought I was mad trying to control with diet, weight loss and exercise. When I've explained about my diet they were horrified that I don't eat tropical fruit and severely restrict carbohydrates. They tell me that they could not do that and that they couldn't do the walking so I now understand why doctors often try pills first. I did talk my plans over with a friend who was a recently retired GP who told me to "go for it". Her view was that most people wouldn't take lifestyle changes seriously but it was by far the better way. She was thrilled to hear what I have achieved. Most of the people on this forum are highly motivated to try and make the changes and we do need the support of each other.

Reactions: 9 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately a lot of diabetics type 2 that I know would prefer to be on pills rather than make lifestyle changes. Most thought I was mad trying to control with diet, weight loss and exercise. Most of the people on this forum are highly motivated to try and make the changes and we do need the support of each other.
It's a serious condition. Makes sense to throw everything you can at it. I have found the forum very useful.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. I wish I could get over this waking up in the early hours and not being able to get back to sleep. I've done my blood and all of the games I can find and at least now I'm stRting to feel a bit sleepier.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning. I wish I could get over this waking up in the early hours and not being able to get back to sleep. I've done my blood and all of the games I can find and at least now I'm stRting to feel a bit sleepier.
Hi @mo53 have you had your thyroid checked recently?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This morning I tested as soon as I woke to find a 5.9 and decided to take my canagliflozin then too. I've just tested before breakfast and I'm 4.3. I'm delighted. Our of curiosity I'm going to have a few almonds to start my day then a alpro milk decaf coffee.
I wonder if having an more immediate med/food start to my day will pay off?

Reactions: 6 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning All

I know I am not the first person to bring this up but I have recently experienced a worsening trend in my FBG levels and I am becoming somewhat frustrated by this as I thought I was on top of the job, and, so far as I know, I have not changed my lifestyle in any way in the timescale involved.

Qk, I may have put on a little weight and i have been using an exercise bike since Christmas which, if anything, I expected to help.

I have been feeling rather down and fighting a low level cold, but felt somewhat better this morning until I got a figure of 7, which retested at 7.3. To put that in context, the last morning reading I saw above 7 was at the end of October, the day after I had had a steroid injection, and before that I hadn't had one that high since last February.

I reduced my Metformin from 4 to 2 per day last November, after getting good results from Alpha Lipoic acid. vitamin B1 and B12 supplements, and until the end of January everything seemed to be going well, but I have now upped it to 3 again,as I really don't want this problem getting any worse!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Tim55 - Hi.:). It may well be that you have a cold? Our blood sugars do rise slightly when 'under the weather'. Was it the GP and/or Diabetic Nurse suggested you reduced your Metformin from 4 a day to 2 a day?

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I was 6.8 this morning. I decided to go for a nice long walk this morning because a. Today is my son's last day at college before half term and b. Sunshine :) I got a wee bit carried away because I walked for over an hour and a half and I paid all my bills while I was passing the post office! I still have over an hour before my appointment so I shall put my feet up with a nice refreshing cuppa

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
@November1115 I don't know if this will help, but- if I put a few pounds on or don't get enough exercise my bs levels rise. It took almost six months of lchf living before my fbg fell into the low fives. I really have to work at it EVERY day. Wish I could have said different x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Morning All

I know I am not the first person to bring this up but I have recently experienced a worsening trend in my FBG levels and I am becoming somewhat frustrated by this as I thought I was on top of the job, and, so far as I know, I have not changed my lifestyle in any way in the timescale involved.

Qk, I may have put on a little weight and i have been using an exercise bike since Christmas which, if anything, I expected to help.

I have been feeling rather down and fighting a low level cold, but felt somewhat better this morning until I got a figure of 7, which retested at 7.3. To put that in context, the last morning reading I saw above 7 was at the end of October, the day after I had had a steroid injection, and before that I hadn't had one that high since last February.

I reduced my Metformin from 4 to 2 per day last November, after getting good results from Alpha Lipoic acid. vitamin B1 and B12 supplements, and until the end of January everything seemed to be going well, but I have now upped it to 3 again,as I really don't want this problem getting any worse!
Hi Tim could some of the suppliments become 'normal' to your body? Like ginseng your body gets used to it's benefits over time.
Mind u if that was the case your neuropathy would be cured if your not suffering. Could your suppliments be becoming no longer absorbed to benefit you?
Would your suppliments not act in that way?
I can only us levothyroxine and metformin for me. Once I had a naughty diet I lost their benefits and I never got the metfomin one back. Levothyroxine needs reducing or at least did before naughty xmas.
What's your thoughts?
What stops a suppliment or herb/drug stop working?

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All

Hi @Tim55
I'm so similar to you, all right mine 6.8 this morning but very close, My trend has gone up and sorry I have no answers. Illness, a cold, weather even, so many things can influence blood sugar and I am still learning. For me stress or pain I know puts mine up. I shall look forward to those with a bit more experience giving their views as it might help me as well.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Galja - moved here. I am supposed to take 2 Ferrous Fumarate a day but, told the GP I only take 1 as they make me feel like 'throwing up'!! I eat lots of Brocolli, Dark Green Cabbage, Sprouts.......just love vegetables and they are cooked in a steamer to retain the taste. So, now it's time for me to eat. Bye:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Amanda61 - How are you? :). Hope you are well?:) William.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes