Better diet! Better control!!

Berty16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I've recently changed my diet to more salads, fish and less carbs (10g / day) Just like to share with you that my sugars are now spot on. Had a bit of a low after football but a few jelly babies sorted that. I do like my grub so it's a bit of a struggle especially walking down the bread isle in the supermarket lol!! I've been T1 for 21 years and am currently on humalog and Levermir.

Just thought I'd share this with you!!

All the best

Anthony

Reactions: 4 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's great news says she whose b.s. sitting at 16.4. After fishcakes for lunch but never again. I feel awful!!!! Drinking plenty water. No tea for me tonight!!!!!

Berty16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have fishcakes from sainsbury's real chunky ones with salad. Didn't have much of an issue with them though. Bit more insulin maybe? Did you have any sauce with it. I sometimes have Mayo?

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Berty not stalking you but after seeing another post thought this might be relevant. We are a similar age and I have had type 1 for 25 years. I was used to carb counting, was on fixed dose, then multi dose injections, play sport etc. The best thing that happened to me in recent years, was embracing all food. I took part in the DAFNE course (Dose adjustment for normal eating) at my hospital and it was a revelation into everything from food without carb labels, how to calculate a slice of cake or bread, if sick what to add to normal dose, sports, overseas travel, etc, etc. It might be worth looking into vs missing out on food you enjoy? http://www.dafne.uk.com/
They helped me to understand my doses (doctor recommended) where way off and although I have a hba1c of 5.4 I should be taking much less insulin for background and an increase in short term.

Berty16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice one cheers for the heads up "stalker" lol!! I have actually booked it in for March so looking forward to it. The hardest thing for me is after sport I would go high and feel ****. Then try and correct and guess what rebound have a hypo during the night.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Nice one cheers for the heads up "stalker" lol!! I have actually booked it in for March so looking forward to it. The hardest thing for me is after sport I would go high and feel ****. Then try and correct and guess what rebound have a hypo during the night.
Great, glad to hear it. My course covered what to take before in terms of glucose like Lucazade, then what insulin to reduce and by how much and specifically when. E.G you might need to drop your background insulin in the AM even if playing at night or knock the quick acting ration down as that insulin might act for 4+ hours.
Something else that might be relevant (but I haven't been stalking you so don't know) if you are going low during sport, you liver might pump sugar into your system, which means you go high after sport, that might explain you situation but if you are over eating to prevent going low whilst playing, not only does that impact your fitness/performance, the course should help you calculate what you need to be eating for the sport you play.
Hope you find something useful from it.

Reactions: 2 people

mattpiano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have found an improvement in my diet has given me much better control. Where possible I'm exclusively eating wholegrain for carby foods including bread, pasta and rice. I've also switched to wholegrain fish fingers (Bird's Eye do these), and I've started having Alpen 'No Added Sugar' muesli for breakfast, weighing an exact serving every money and topping it with some Alpro plain yoghurt.

This has led to a big reduction in my insulin doses and I'm now having less fast acting in a day than I was once having for my main meal. Losing/reducing high GI foods that cause quick peaks has made this possible, and everything is more predictable than I've ever found it to be.

In my experience the discipline to be more structured and slightly restrictive pays dividends that make it very worthwhile.