Question for those off medication

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed, with an HBA1C of 97. My GP said he wanted me to try to lose weight before resorting to meds (BMI is 27 so need to lose 1 - 1.5 stone). He also said the best thing I should do when working out what to eat was to come on this forum. The other thing he suggested was that, whatever eating plan I adopted, it should be sustainable or it woukdnt be a long term solution.

He did refer me for a foot check, and eye test, plus took liver and kidney function tests, all of which were fine. He said I should go back and see him in 6 months.

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At diagnosis my GP said it was impossible for me to manage without medication, I did have an HbA1c of 95. He said he had one other patient who wanted to be med free but that person had just accepted going onto meds. I haven't seen him since I got my last result as there was a locum filling in for him so I wonder what he will think about my HbA1c of 33 last August. I am still having to work really hard to keep my blood sugar readings down and think my next HbA1c might be a little higher.

Reactions: 9 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
33 is very "low normal" result @Hiitsme although I can see why you were put on medication at HbA1c of 95. That's an incredible drop in your HbA1c that youve achieved I was told to stop meds at HbA1c of 40 ( I already had stopped them a few weeks before) Would having a chat with your GP ease your mind?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed just over 2 years and have never seen a doctor in respect of my diabetes. I had routine blood tests as part of my over 60's MOT and was called in to see a nurse. My HbA1c was 53. I was told to follow the Eatwell plate, given a glossy booklet explaining about diabetes and what I should be eating, referred for the retinal eye screening, invited to attend an Xpert course, and told she would see me again in 3 months. Meds were never mentioned. I have continued to be seen by the nurse ever since. Last time I saw her she said she could take me off the diabetic register and transfer me to their list of "at risk" patients, but as there is no benefit to me in coming off the register and as I would reduce from 6 monthly checks to annual ones, I declined.

One thing she did have in her room 12 months ago was Trudi Deakin's "Eat Fat" book, which was good to see.

Reactions: 2 people

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
@TooManyCrisps I was also recently diagnosed with an HBA1C of 86 back in November. I so wished my GP had said to me to go away and try to lose some weight, before prescribing standard Metformin 500mg x4 which I couldn't tolerate. He then changed it to the SR version and after 4 days I experienced the same side effects. He has now prescribed Gliclazide and I'm too scared to take it, as he mentioned it could cause hypos! I'm seriously thinking of not taking any medication, as I've been on a LCHF regime and rigorously testing myself. Am due an HBA1C test in a few weeks, so will wait and see what results I get and then make a decision..:woot:

Reactions: 6 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps I was also recently diagnosed with an HBA1C of 86 back in November. I so wished my GP had said to me to go away and try to lose some weight, before prescribing standard Metformin 500mg x4 which I couldn't tolerate. He then changed it to the SR version and after 4 days I experienced the same side effects. He has now prescribed Gliclazide and I'm too scared to take it, as he mentioned it could cause hypos! I'm seriously thinking of not taking any medication, as I've been on a LCHF regime and rigorously testing myself. Am due an HBA1C test in a few weeks, so will wait and see what results I get and then make a decision..:woot:

I'm very glad he suggested this. I really hope your HBA1C test gives you the result you're hoping for.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
33 is very "low normal" result @Hiitsme although I can see why you were put on medication at HbA1c of 95. That's an incredible drop in your HbA1c that youve achieved I was told to stop meds at HbA1c of 40 ( I already had stopped them a few weeks before) Would having a chat with your GP ease your mind?

Hi @13lizanne
I was only on Metformin for 3 days and with a very violent reaction my GP took me off them for my body to have a short time to recover with the intention that I then would go back on them. I was eventually told I could have 3 months to try without. I then had an HbA1c of 50 which impressed the GP so he didn't suggest going back on the pills. As it is coming up to 6 months since my last HbA1c I think I will phone and see if I can have another HbA1c.

SulisMinerva

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not on meds and my latest HBA1C seems to be in the normal range (hooray!). The biggest difference during the last year is changing to low carb. (mainly for me this means no pasta/rice/spuds/bread/sugar (obviously), & low carb choices by reading food labels & Google. Also using my SD Codefree monitor to check BG 2 hours after eating previously untested foods. I DO need to lose weight, but haven't. I also don't think I do enough exercise. Therefore, it must be just the diet that's done it! I'll be seeing the DN in a couple of weeks so will see what she says!

Reactions: 7 people

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was on medication which had horrific side affects. I came off medication and my weight jumped. The medication helped control my weight.

I have been medication free for about 4 years but hba1c indicates i have now lost control and doc wants me back on different medications. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place not wanting medication but choices seem limited as the diet has seemed to have lost its effectiveness.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I was on medication which had horrific side affects. I came off medication and my weight jumped. The medication helped control my weight.

I have been medication free for about 4 years but hba1c indicates i have now lost control and doc wants me back on different medications. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place not wanting medication but choices seem limited as the diet has seemed to have lost its effectiveness.
Hi @Marley99 I would like to stay meds free forever but! I am prepared to resume medication if I reach an age where I can't keep control by exercising and diet. You must do what's best for your health of course both physical and mental. Good luck

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At diagnosis my GP said it was impossible for me to manage without medication, I did have an HbA1c of 95. He said he had one other patient who wanted to be med free but that person had just accepted going onto meds. I haven't seen him since I got my last result as there was a locum filling in for him so I wonder what he will think about my HbA1c of 33 last August. I am still having to work really hard to keep my blood sugar readings down and think my next HbA1c might be a little higher.

@Hiitsme, your experience gives me hope. How long did it take for your level to come down? I am really committed to trying to get mine down but know it might take some time.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hiitsme, your experience gives me hope. How long did it take for your level to come down? I am really committed to trying to get mine down but know it might take some time.

Hi @TooManyCrisps
I'm not sure I am the best person to help you as my readings have been going up recently but I will try to answer your question.

Started fasting readings about 2 weeks after diagnosis. Looking at my spreadsheet first week average about 10, second week average almost 12, then 9.5, 8.6, 8.4, 7.5, 6.1, 7.2, 5.7, 5.8, 5.5, 5.5, 6.2, 5.9

Then around that time I had my second HbA1c which was 50 and totally accepted by doctor and nurse that I did not need pills at that time. I was still having some spikes up to 9 or 10 after meals but not many, though lots in the 8's.

So for me 3 months to get my readings down to an acceptable HbA1c for my GP but I was still not satisfied and wanted better.

As you can see my averages go up and down, There are so many factors that affect blood sugar. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: 2 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @TooManyCrisps
I'm not sure I am the best person to help you as my readings have been going up recently but I will try to answer your question.

Started fasting readings about 2 weeks after diagnosis. Looking at my spreadsheet first week average about 10, second week average almost 12, then 9.5, 8.6, 8.4, 7.5, 6.1, 7.2, 5.7, 5.8, 5.5, 5.5, 6.2, 5.9

Then around that time I had my second HbA1c which was 50 and totally accepted by doctor and nurse that I did not need pills at that time. I was still having some spikes up to 9 or 10 after meals but not many, though lots in the 8's.

So for me 3 months to get my readings down to an acceptable HbA1c for my GP but I was still not satisfied and wanted better.

As you can see my averages go up and down, There are so many factors that affect blood sugar. Hope this helps you.

Thanks so much @Hiitsme, that is so informative. I have only had my meter for 2 weeks, but my fasting averages so far have been about 8 (lots lower and lots higher!). I've had some post-meal 10s but mostly 08s, a few 09s. Occasionally a 7, but not often enough! I must set up a spreadsheet to track mine. My meter give 7 and 14 day fasting averages but on a rolling basis. I get very depressed when I get high readings, especially as there seems to be no reason - what gave me a post-meal reading of 8 one day will give me 10 the next. Interesting that you managed an HbA1C reading of 50 even with some 09s and 10s, so I won't lose hope yet.

Reactions: 7 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much @Hiitsme, that is so informative. I have only had my meter for 2 weeks, but my fasting averages so far have been about 8 (lots lower and lots higher!). I've had some post-meal 10s but mostly 08s, a few 09s. Occasionally a 7, but not often enough! I must set up a spreadsheet to track mine. My meter give 7 and 14 day fasting averages but on a rolling basis. I get very depressed when I get high readings, especially as there seems to be no reason - what gave me a post-meal reading of 8 one day will give me 10 the next. Interesting that you managed an HbA1C reading of 50 even with some 09s and 10s, so I won't lose hope yet.

Even on my next HbA1c August 2015 (my last one) I had an occasional spike to 9 or 10 and that result was 33 which I was very happy with. My aim would be to keep at that sort of level. I wouldn't mind being very slightly higher, but do want very tight control.
You are doing really well as I didn't get an average of 8.4 until 5 weeks into testing (7 weeks from diagnosis). You can see how my numbers fluctuate and they still do now. See my readings on the fasting thread which you have been posting on.

Heathfield47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't worry about getting the odd high reading, eg last night 2 hours after my meal I had 12.4 and tested again one hour later and it was down to 4.9. Over the last 3 months I have had readings as high as 13.1 on a few occasions but my HbA1c last week was 44, down from 70 last year.
It seems some high spikes don't last that long so have little effect on the overall HbA1c; I might be wrong but they don't seem to have had the bad effect I expected.