Pancake day - low carb versions

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try these - I've also posted a link on the other pancake thread (soooo many pancakes!). We had them for breakfast this morning with blueberries.

One tip is to let the coconut flour absorb the liquid for five or ten minutes before cooking. I also didn't include the sweetener. They were really lovely and my flat smells like the tropics, what with the coconut flour, coconut milk and coconut oil!

Enjoy!

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes/

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As promised I'm reporting back on my efforts to make an edible pancake rather than lumpy scrambled egg.

I used @ewelina recipe - altered it slightly and used all ground almonds (didn't have soy flour) and didn't add the sweetener.
Following Ewelinas advice I made small drop scone sized pancakes and didn't let pan get to hot, mixture seemed really thick so I didn't think it would work.

They were absolutely DELICIOUS mmmmmmmm really tasty low carb pancakes, I had pancakes for first time in 6 years!!!

Luckily I made a half the recipe suggestion as I ate them all myself - didn't share with family they had the standard ones and felt vey miffed as I devoured my yummy fluffy pancakes. OOHH I am SOOO happy :happy:
I will be making these as a Valentines treat for my breakfast next Sunday :)

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the feedback @Scimama its good to know they work well with just almond flour as its the only kind I have.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewelina, like @Scimama I used all almonds as I didn't have soy flour, and they were still absolutely amazing! I had mine with freshly squeezed lemon juice and Splenda. We're going to be having them OFTEN. Much tastier and more straightforward than any traditional pancakes I've made in my life.

On another note, it's struck me how amazing it is that substituted ingredients in low carb recipes often don't taste as I'd expect! For instance I don't think caulirice or caulimash tastes of cauli, these almond and cream cheese pancakes don't taste of almonds or cream cheese, and as for that incredible pizza base recipe I found on this forum that's made out of mozzarella, cream cheese, an egg and ground almonds tastes of pizza base rather than the ingredients used to make it!

Love love loving my forays into eating lower carb - thanks all on this forum for such brilliant recipes and suggestions!

Reactions: 2 people

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried a few different low-carb recipes for pancakes over the last few years but they always end up more like a scrambled eggy mess that a pancake.

Does anyone have a foolproof recipe or tips for getting a pancake rather than almond flour scrambled eggs :)

Isn't it possible to buy Pofiber in UK?
Over here Lidl has it, and I've managed to make some very thin pancakes with it.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it possible to buy Pofiber in UK?
Over here Lidl has it, and I've managed to make some very thin pancakes with it.
Hi @AnnInDenmark I have never heard of Pofiber - had to look it up (potato starch / fibre) I haven't seen in in Lidl in the UK but haven't looked for it, I actually get my ground almonds from Lidl as they are cheapest I can find.

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AnnInDenmark I have never heard of Pofiber - had to look it up (potato starch / fibre) I haven't seen in in Lidl in the UK but haven't looked for it, I actually get my ground almonds from Lidl as they are cheapest I can find.

It's worth a try, if they have it.
You swap a part of the almond flour with Pofiber, and likely have to add more liquid, as it can hold a lot.
It makes bread and cakes less dense. It has no taste.

Ann

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewelina, like @Scimama I used all almonds as I didn't have soy flour, and they were still absolutely amazing! I had mine with freshly squeezed lemon juice and Splenda. We're going to be having them OFTEN. Much tastier and more straightforward than any traditional pancakes I've made in my life.

On another note, it's struck me how amazing it is that substituted ingredients in low carb recipes often don't taste as I'd expect! For instance I don't think caulirice or caulimash tastes of cauli, these almond and cream cheese pancakes don't taste of almonds or cream cheese, and as for that incredible pizza base recipe I found on this forum that's made out of mozzarella, cream cheese, an egg and ground almonds tastes of pizza base rather than the ingredients used to make it!

Love love loving my forays into eating lower carb - thanks all on this forum for such brilliant recipes and suggestions!

can you share the recipe for pizza base. very tempted to make it :)

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Cornflour is hardly low carb - it contains about 88g carbs per 100g weight - so 2 (15g) level tablespoonfuls would have 26-27g carbs... Plain flour is actually a fair bit less at 70g carbs per 100g. So always take care over and check so called low carb alternative ingredients.

Robbity
Thank you Robbity. Just goes to show how easy it is to take on incorrect information.

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bit late, I know! But I made these almond and flax seed pancakes on Tuesday - I think the recipe was off the Atkins website. They were absolutely delicious!! With 'low sugar' maple syrup (fake!), double cream and half a banana! My OH (non-diabetic) also thought they were amazing!! The recipe made 6, so unfortunately we had 3 each!!

By the way, since I have been low-carbing, OH has lost a stone and now prefers my new recipes!!

upload_2016-2-12_11-46-24.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

I tried making coconut flour pancakes today from a paleo recipe posted elsewhere in the forum, I have to say I didn't like the consistency at all. :hungover: