GAD results negative and left in limbo

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In of the opinion that by continually taking insulin for meals this will extend the overall length of the honeymoon period as it protects your beta cells from being overworked

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've spent most of this afternoon reading up on LADA, lost track of the number of sites I visited and reports I read, and there are so many conflicting opinions that no wonder those who don't cleanly fit in to Type 1 or Type 2 are left in limbo for something to happen and often tossed in to type 2 because that is how it has always been.

Unfortunately I am no clearer as on one hand some say the switch to insulin dependence is slower that Type 1 yet at the same time others say the switch can be as short as 6 months after diagnosis although can be as much as 6 years later. Then there is the whole presentation of certain anti-bodies but then the tests are not 100% accurate so that is not a definitive test. Then there is the profiling of weight, age and type 2 diabetes in the family with some saying this means you can't be LADA whilst others say that the standard profiling should be ignored. I could go on because every time I read something it would conflict with what I had just read somewhere else. About the only thing which was consistent is that many diabetics who have LADA are initially diagnosed Type 2 initially purely because they match the profile of age and weight rather than because adequate testing is done.

Reactions: 2 people

Chalky34

11 years ago I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 50 put straight onto insulin and not really surprised as my mother and grandmother had been diagnosed at roughly Dame age. Earlier this year having moved areas I saw a different consultant at a different hospital. I complained about weigh gain and,always running high and so blood tests were taken. Now months later Lada has been mentioned, never heard of it never mentioned. So I ask why raise this now. Now feel I don't know anything about my condition and feel I have gone right back to beginning. There not even 100% sure about it anyway.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but Andy, while LADA may include a range of outcomes, you are only the one case. Why not draw up your action plan for how to deal with your own situation. One possibility at a time, and see how it goes. It's basically trial and error.

Do you want to try low levels of bolus insulin at mealtimes? (What I would recommend.). Basal insulin made absolutely no difference to me.

Metformin is good if you can tolerate it. Any other oral drugs will only bankrupt your pancreas sooner, in my view, so quicker end to honeymoon and onto serious insulin doses and associated hypo questions.

Why not work out what your priority is, then talk to your doc and express that view. Firmly.

There are no guarantees in this game. But you can have a view and see what works.

Reactions: 4 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Received GAD test results just now; negative!

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diabetic for about 12 years. Started on medication but very quickly that failed to keep things under control so I ended up on insulin. Like some of you I had a negative GAD test and very low C-peptide. My consultant said I was an "odd" case and that as my symptons resembled a type 1 they would keep me on their books and so they've looked after me very well ever since.

A great team at the Royal Surrey hospital.

T1 - LADA - T2 .....I've no idea, but very happy with my treatment.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
I've been diabetic for about 12 years. Started on medication but very quickly that failed to keep things under control so I ended up on insulin. Like some of you I had a negative GAD test and very low C-peptide. My consultant said I was an "odd" case and that as my symptons resembled a type 1 they would keep me on their books and so they've looked after me very well ever since.

A great team at the Royal Surrey hospital.

T1 - LADA - T2 .....I've no idea, but very happy with my treatment.

I've been off insulin without any medication,or even been offered anything for nearly five months now,i still diabetic though,Levels are still good apart from the odd blip now and again

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that if you're GAD positive you're definitely T1. However, being GAD negative does NOT mean you are definitely a different Type. I too am GAD negative, but am diagnosed T1.5 LADA in honeymoon. My consultant tells me that the medics are coming to the realisation that the different Types of D are not so clear-cut as they used to think they were.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hi guys a little update,still not on insulin its been like nearly 5 months now due to go for another hba1c test later this month fingers crossed. last 1 was 5.6% so anywhere near this i will be happy :).My levels have been round about the same,with the odd blip hear and there but ya :) have been pushing a little with popcorn and sweet stuff now and again ;) weird thing is the more sweet stuff i eat its seems to shock my pancreas into releasing insulin,other day eaten lots of popcorn during film tested bloodsugars 1 hour after 4.3?!?!?! tested again another hour after 5.0 ya don t do this all the time like,just the odd treat ;) we all need the odd treat now and again right :)

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know what you mean about the occasional sweet stuff not seeming to have any effect, even when I indulged in some jellies one evening having felt frustrated they didn't do anything to my blood sugar.

What I have noticed is that my fasting blood sugar in the morning has crept up just a little as where it was consistently high 4's before Christmas each week since it has nudged up a tiny bit and is now averaging in the high 6s with an occasional erratic plunge down to a low 5. Still within the accepted range and so just watching how this plays out for now.

Good luck with that follow up hba1c

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know what you mean about the occasional sweet stuff not seeming to have any effect, even when I indulged in some jellies one evening having felt frustrated they didn't do anything to my blood sugar.

What I have noticed is that my fasting blood sugar in the morning has crept up just a little as where it was consistently high 4's before Christmas each week since it has nudged up a tiny bit and is now averaging in the high 6s with an occasional erratic plunge down to a low 5. Still within the accepted range and so just watching how this plays out for now.

Good luck with that follow up hba1c

:) ya mine have always been between 5.5 and 6.5 on waking but find after an hour of been up they seem to go down,must be hormonal or something during sleep :p

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And during the day my sugars are brill,I'm a very active person so maybe its down to that ;) like to do a 6 mile run everyother day with 1 hour of weights in-between,always in the morning before work.do find that my insulin levels don t seem to be as good after about 5pm.there still ok but sometimes takes a little longer to come down sometimes,in saying that I'm a bit of a pig always snacking in-between meals,probably the protein catching up from the daytime maybe,protein intake is around 120-150g :) carbs 100

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update: Just to let you guys know that still plodding along nothings changed,hba1c was 6.1% so yeah long may it continue :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is I've had both the GAD and c-peptide tests done a few times each. The first couple showed them I was type 2. The third one and the last one I had in 2010 showed I had no antibodies present (GAD was negative) but I the c-peptide came back in the red showing I wasn't hardly producing any insulin. My endocrinologist explained to me that I was still type 2, but just had to now be on insulin to treat my diabetes. So if anyone asks me I just say I'm a type 2 insulin dependant diabetic. A lot of people still can't grasp that in their heads though and make out I have to be some other type as apparently type 2's can only be on diet and pills to control their sugar. My understanding is to have type 1.5 you would need to have antibodies too... they just show up later than they would for type 1's.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is I've had both the GAD and c-peptide tests done a few times each. The first couple showed them I was type 2. The third one and the last one I had in 2010 showed I had no antibodies present (GAD was negative) but I the c-peptide came back in the red showing I wasn't hardly producing any insulin. My endocrinologist explained to me that I was still type 2, but just had to now be on insulin to treat my diabetes. So if anyone asks me I just say I'm a type 2 insulin dependant diabetic. A lot of people still can't grasp that in their heads though and make out I have to be some other type as apparently type 2's can only be on diet and pills to control their sugar. My understanding is to have type 1.5 you would need to have antibodies too... they just show up later than they would for type 1's.
Hi. The medical guys often forget that there is more than GAD that can damage the pancreas. There are other, rarer, antibodies such as IA2 etc, that don't always get tested for. There can be pancreatitis, viruses and so on. Also, as NICE has said in it's latest guidelines, the GAD test becomes less reliable as time progresses after first diagnosis. I've been thru the same route as you and still listed as T2. I think this is wrong. Yes, the LADA acronym covers anti-body damage but if that is T1 then so is anything else that has damaged the pancreas. I refer to myself as an insulin dependent diabetic not T2 and if asked will say I'm a Late onset T1 or T1.5. I've always been slim with a low c-peptide and don't believe my pancreas was damaged thru high and long-term insulin resistance (to some extent a possible myth?). I think the medics remain very confused in this area and Diabetes UK doesn't help with this either.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The medical guys often forget that there is more than GAD that can damage the pancreas. There are other, rarer, antibodies such as IA2 etc, that don't always get tested for. There can be pancreatitis, viruses and so on. Also, as NICE has said in it's latest guidelines, the GAD test becomes less reliable as time progresses after first diagnosis. I've been thru the same route as you and still listed as T2. I think this is wrong. Yes, the LADA acronym covers anti-body damage but if that is T1 then so is anything else that has damaged the pancreas. I refer to myself as an insulin dependent diabetic not T2 and if asked will say I'm a Late onset T1 or T1.5. I've always been slim with a low c-peptide and don't believe my pancreas was damaged thru high and long-term insulin resistance (to some extent a possible myth?). I think the medics remain very confused in this area and Diabetes UK doesn't help with this either.

Yeh with me it wouldn't be a myth as I was diagnosed with PCOS and diabetes the same day and had PCOS a long time untreated. Of course insulin resistance is common for those of us with PCOS. I don't doubt for a minute my insulin production was likely destroyed from it.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
little update:So thought I'd let you guys know how things are going :) so still no insulin for me,still managing pretty well through diet and exercise,My diet isn't too strict but ya blood sugars most of the time are in range,especially the last month!!trying to put on weight due to all the exercise so I've added more protein and a few more carbs to my diet,carb intake round about 120-150 so ya long may it continue :) I've my Hba1c coming up on the 13th of june so I'll keep yous all informed :) big hugs from me too yous

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to hear things are still going well and I am guessing that the weather is helping with blood sugars as since its heated up a bit my blood sugars are generally lower with out changing anything.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
a little update: Soooooo happy today just got my Hba1c results in today and they were 6.1 still no insulin,thought they'd have been higher due to me trying to bulk so added a few more carbs to my diet :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast