Get "fizzy" with it

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I am very fond of my soft drinks, especially the fizzy variety.

Lately, I'm learning from this forum that commercial soft drinks like diet pepsi, coke are not that beneficial to me, therefore I have started purchasing sparkling water and adding no sugar squash or cordials to it. Is this a better option for me, or am I kidding myself?

Your opinions please ......

Reactions: 2 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I tend to avoid anything with aspartame in it, as it tends to have a bitter after taste. The official diabetes UK advice is to just drink plain water, which is boring to drink all the time. Whether you're using fruit burst type things or drinking coke, I would say it's pretty much the same thing. I do use vimto squeezy though as it has no aspartame in it. I've also found that shops own brands tend not to have aspartame in either, all though there are exceptions so you'd have to check the labels. I love Morrisons no added sugar cream soda

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I am very fond of my soft drinks, especially the fizzy variety.

Lately, I'm learning from this forum that commercial soft drinks like diet pepsi, coke are not that beneficial to me, therefore I have started purchasing sparkling water and adding no sugar squash or cordials to it. Is this a better option for me, or am I kidding myself?

Your opinions please ......
You need to read the label. Who knows ?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've decided what I like is all in my mind and I just think it's what I need. I always drank water at meals when I was little and used sweet drinks (Tizer etc) like sweets, sitting in front of the b/w telly with chocolate Penguins etc (which were a lot bigger then btw). Then it was squash with everything.
Now I find any flavoured drink with food is unpleasant so I'm back to water. The only exception is that coffee goes nicely with some snacks.
When I stopped drinking 35 years ago I couldn't see the point of alcohol-free beer and I feel the same about attempts to fool me into thinking I'm enjoying real sugar. Why hang on to the past when the present can be so much more interesting?
But that's just me :rolleyes:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, I have discovered that certain "no sugar added" squashes actually raise my levels; albeit only by a small amount.

My current addiction is an ASDA Bitter Cranberry drink, which is fizzy. Thus far, not blood impact, and it provides a bit of variety.

VanBecks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy plain carbonated water and add my own fruit flavourings or chilled concentrated tea to it.

Plain steeped teas have no sugar, even fruit or chocolate infused teas. Fizzy Chocolate Chai is my favourite!

Half of a lemon or lime squeezed into 12 ounces of water has less than 1g of sugar. I make concentrated fruit flavourings by stewing the fruit and using their juices. 1 tablespoon of berry juice is also about 1g of sugar.

I don't use synthetic sweeteners and don't consume any foods or drinks made with them.

Reactions: 2 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy plain carbonated water and add my own fruit flavourings or chilled concentrated tea to it.

Plain steeped teas have no sugar, even fruit or chocolate infused teas. Fizzy Chocolate Chai is my favourite!

Half of a lemon or lime squeezed into 12 ounces of water has less than 1g of sugar. I make concentrated fruit flavourings by stewing the fruit and using their juices. 1 tablespoon of berry juice is also about 1g of sugar.

I don't use synthetic sweeteners and don't consume any foods or drinks made with them.

Some good ideas there. Thanks

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Try putting fresh cucumber & a few sprigs of mint in iced tap water in a jug in the fridge its lovely