counting carbs...

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi buddies, I m mother of recently diagnosed type 1 kid, I don't know how much carbs are suitable for him for the whole day as now he is on 5 units of lantus once a day and his bs levels r very well controlled. Any guidance will be appreciated!!!!!!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there
have you had a chat with your child's diabetic nurse.?
normally they will give you some guidelines on food after speaking with you .

I would think with a growing child they are normally hungry all the time but I also know some kids that pick at their food no matter what is put in front of them.

the goal is to match what your child eats to the fast acting insulin dose.

a quick call to the diabetic nurse would be my starting point.

all the best !

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The diabetic nurse is not co operative,a rude one. So I hesitated to ask many questions. I find this forum very helpful and everyone here is very cooperative and sincere so I feel free to ask questions!!!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I was in your position and my child was on a basal/bolus insulin regime I would simply feed them what I would feed them if there were not diabetic.........

of course being a diabetic you do need to think about foods that will cause problems with spiking and meals that are difficult to count and dose for....

I wouldn't try and restrict the carbs just because of the diabetes, just have the carbs that can work alongside good BG control....there will be some trial and error, but that's living....;)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The diabetic nurse is not co operative,a rude one. So I hesitated to ask many questions. I find this forum very helpful and everyone here is very cooperative and sincere so I feel free to ask questions!!!
that is a shame !!
well in my experience a stable routine in terms of eating is great for us being D.
I know that with the modern insulins there is loads more flexibility than there used to be but speaking as bringing up a child generally - routine is important.

the kinds of meals i would be looking at would include scrambled or soft boiled egg and maybe some canadian bacon , grilled tomato , and a piece of toast at brekfast.

not sure whether you pack lunch for school but including some cheese , an apple , some sliced meat on a sandwich , some vegetable sticks ( carrot , celery , peppers etc )

evening meal would normally be a piece of grilled meat , some boiled or mashed potato and plenty of green veg .

looking at the above it sounds a bit boring but remember it is early days following diagnosis and routine and ease of preperation seem most important to me.

there is always time in the future to introduce more foods

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks. His levels r fluctuating alot that's why I afraid giving several food items to him as I have no idea what suits him and what not!! I give him fried egg without egg yolk, potatoes r totally banned,no banana at all etc etc
May be I m extra diet conscious.... I'll try to expand his menu.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks. His levels r fluctuating alot that's why I afraid giving several food items to him as I have no idea what suits him and what not!! I give him fried egg without egg yolk, potatoes r totally banned,no banana at all etc etc

Hi buddies, I m mother of recently diagnosed type 1 kid, I don't know how much carbs are suitable for him for the whole day as now he is on 5 units of lantus once a day and his bs levels r very well controlled. Any guidance will be appreciated!!!!!!!
i popped your first post on the topic above.
In that you say his bloods are well controlled.

so Now I am not so sure on food advice. Perhaps you could let us know if he is just taking lantus or if he has a fast acting insulin as well.
and a list of all the things you have been advised he should not eat.

it is hard to give a sensible answer without all the relevant detail
hope this helps.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Any reason why you avoid bananas? Have you noticed them spike his Bloods? My son has had type 1 for just over two years now, he is now six and we find small bananas really useful in keeping his bloods in range when he has a party or has an activity.

Having said that we have also noticed that we have to give him less insulin for a banana when not active then carbs calculated per 100g would suggest otherwise he will hypo. It seems foods can affect people in different ways.

My boy doesn't eat fried eggs although he does eat boiled, are you worried about the fat content of egg yolk or does he just not eat them?

Mash potatoes doesn't appear to be an issue either although it might be the way they are cooked, boil them to death before mashing (might be boiling away the carbs, who knows) and limit a portion to 150 grams. I do wonder if sometimes its the quantity rather then the type of food that can cause the biggest headaches.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

If his levels are fluctuating that could be for a number of reasons, not necessarily his diet. If he's newly diagnosed, then it's likely you're still learning about his control. Also, his body may still be making a little insulin of its own, and that could cause fluctuations.

The best thing to do is to keep a record of his food, his insulin and his blood test results. That will be very useful information eg if he eats a certain meal and his blood sugar is high two hours afterwards, you may want to speak to his nurse about giving slightly more insulin for that meal next time he has it.

As to what to give him to eat, what did he eat before he was diagnosed?

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all of you for ur replies, my son is diagnosed almost two weeks ago and he is on 5units of lantus once a day. No more no less,his doctor said that just continue with this unless his levels r not disturbed. Well if his fasting is 75 and after two hour of breakfast his level is 380 then I think the levels are disturbing but his doctor is satisfied and this is normal fluctuations in the starting. I think I shouldn't change the doses on my own unless doc said me so. I have managed his diet base on my personal knowledge.. Some day it works perfect and the other day it is out of control.... Trying to learn to manage it better with the help of balanced diet and exercise. Not much support from doctors,they feel bothered,they just prescribed and think that there duty is finished,sad but a reality...
Now,not giving him banana,egg yolk and potatoes is my own decision..... I thought they r not healthy for him, may be I m wrong as I m in learning process

As a mother I m trying my best and hoping for some light to come........

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes,don't change his insulin dose without checking with his doctor.

Is he only on Lantus? Doesn't he take a fast acting insulin before he eats his meals?

I'm sure you're doing the very best for your son :) You can choose what to give him to eat.

Routine can help with food. If he has a similar breakfast at a similar time each day, that might help the fluctuations. I agree that 380 does seem high. Is his doctor trying to reduce his blood sugar gradually? Sometimes doctors want to bring the blood sugar down slowly and gradually.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes he is only on lantus now.... According to his doctor small doses in starting help regulating levels more better. My son's levels r dramatic, I mean last few days they r more then perfect with such a low dose,so that I was start thinking that may be he is not actually diabetic,may be some other illnesses causes high levels of glucose in blood butttttttt yesterday the levels r again touching the sky with same dose and diet.
Lets see what happens in next few days....