Now on pump, and coil out!

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I have been type 1 diabetic for 18 years. I have a little boy who is 5 and my partner and I are hoping to get pregnant again asap.

I had a tough time when pregnant with my little boy (trying to manage on injections) so I am now on the omnipod in the hope I can 'tweak' my sugars better if I get pregnant again.

No my little boy just kind of happened, he was a surprise, an amazing surprise, but a surprise! I did t find out till late, but because my sugars were well under control I was allowed to carry on with the pregnancy!

So that meant I didn't have to go through any of the preparing for pregnancy, I was just wondering if anyone could give me any information on what is required in preparation for pregnancy, I guess I'm half way there with being put on the pump...

Thanks in advance x x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

Make sure you're taking the high dose of folic acid (has to be prescribed) and practise the tight control needed for pregnancy.

Eat well, sleep well and avoid stress :)

Now you have your pump, get your basal rate right as much as you can before you conceive (if it's not already right).

Good luck!

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank u, I'm giving it a few more weeks yet to be more comfortable on the omnipod before even trying. I have been prescribed some folic acid but haven't started taking it yet. Will I have to have more appointments/more regular hba1cs?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Sarahkylie88, good luck with getting pregnant again.

If you get the opportunity to go on a post-pump training day with the Omnipod Reps take it, they are really informative and will help you to get the best out of your pump.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @noblehead, that's a brill idea I'll ask them to let me know if any training comes up!

Need to be confident in the pump before trying! High sugars tonight insulin from the pens wearing off now so need more from omnipod! Just a massive balancing act x

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @noblehead, that's a brill idea I'll ask them to let me know if any training comes up!

Need to be confident in the pump before trying! High sugars tonight insulin from the pens wearing off now so need more from omnipod! Just a massive balancing act x

Run your bg levels past your pump nurse in the morning, they will advise you on adjusting your basal rates.

It will take a few weeks to get use to using the insulin pump so don't worry too much, a few months down the line you'll be a old hand at pumping insulin :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
total agreement with @noblehead
I'm on an omnipod as well.
my bloods were high the first couple weeks on the pump but between myself testing about 14 times per day and constant communication with my DSN ( and lots of gradual tweaks to basals ) levels were soon back to my usual good control from being on MDI

all the best with your pregnancy plans :)

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @himtoo I have just been speaking to mine now, got to stay up another hour and check both sugar and ketones are on their way down! I do love it already, went for a walk and just out a -20% basal on- fab! As u say it's just all those little creases that we need to iron out! My diabetic nurse is an angel

Reactions: 2 people