My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I succumbed to the flipping pancakes. Intended to just have a small one but had about five . I feel so ashamed of myself...but it'll be a year before I have them again so not all bad. But still bad!

L: lamb stew with cauli mash, Diet Coke, small jelly.

D: lemon sugar pancake, Nutella pancake, sugar free maple syrup and butter pancake x2. Washed down with a tea.

****** - just remembered I had a couple of biscuits after school.

Reckon FBG tomorrow will be 9!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens, dont worry about it, Im sure your FBG wont be as bad as you think.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to really really focus like how I was before. No more temptation, no more succumbing to temptation...,

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many such focused members here, sadly Im not one of them but never mind :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been good today. I thought I'd be starving in the morning thanks to carby dinner but I was absolutely fine. In my head I keep saying 'just one more treat...' Then I have to stop and think about the longer term...I've had my 'fun' and must middle on through.

Scales are recalling annoying. I can't work out how much weight I've lost so far so am starting again based on new scales but they seem very sensitive! That'll teach me for getting scales for my bday!!

Anyway, my focus is now firmly on eating right and drinking more water. Exercise would be nice but that's tricky. I must make time to do some weights though to help firm up...

New drugs are making daytime pain better but I'm still up a few times in the night with the pain, despite being on new meds. I am really struggling to wake myself up and get out of bed in the morning. We've not made it to breakfast club at school on time all week....I hope I get better at that!!

So today's food:

L: homemade doner kebab in lettuce wraps. Diet Coke.

D: prob bacon and scrambled eggs.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least it is lower than yesterday :) I find if I go off track even for a day it can take at least a week for my FBG to come back down.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is true. What gets me though is, if it's a reflection on yesterday's food and yesterday's food was good, then why so blinking high?!!! X

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
That is true. What gets me though is, if it's a reflection on yesterday's food and yesterday's food was good, then why so blinking high?!!! X
Hello. I'm new on here but thought it might help me a bit. I'm type 2 23 years down the line and on lots of medication. There's not much else before insulin which I really don't want to do. Last HBA1C was 8.1 so I decided to try Low carb in the hope of losing weight and bringing BG down. It's three weeks now carbs around 70g per day and calories between 650 and 900. BG has been good though too many hypos so in discussion with doc have dropped two gliclazide. It's back up to an average of 6.8 but as that's about where I started that's fine by me with two fewer pills. The sad thing is that I haven't lost an ounce in three weeks. Still I do feel better so keeping at it.

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Clase and welcome!

I think you're not eating enough and that could be a reason for the stall in weight loss.

70g of carbs seems a lot to me and my bg would definitely be higher if I ate as much as that in a day but everyone is different.

Have a look at Jason Fung and what he says about reversing t2. He's a very smart man!!

X

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading the Dr Bernstein book and may have had a lightbulb moment although I'm not sure and will need to test my theory before I say for definite but....

He's just said that in some diabetics, if you fast, your body panics and signals for protein to convert to glycogen as blood glucose is raised. This is what happens with the dawn phenomenon.

I'm wondering if this could be happening to me but in a more prolonged way and during the day as well as night. When I've randomly only tested my bg before eating during fasting, I've always been surprised by how high the result was considering I'd not eaten since the day before. Carried on regardless but I don't think I've ever had a pre-food meal in the fives whilst back on track this time.

Also weight loss has been slower this time, although I am still pleased with the results.

So what I'm thinking is that I need to test:

1. Two weeks of 16:8 fasting - measure FBG, mid morning, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner and at bedtime.

2. Eat breakfast, small lunch and dinner - testing the same as above but with brekkie too.

Then I'll be able to see what suits me better. Only problem is to do all this testing which is hard at work...

However, I could do it less scientifically during the school day.

On both trials, I'd need to eat the same meal plan - that could be a little tricky too but I can only do my best.

So I'm thinking to give it a go from tomorrow starting with three meals a day for two weeks.

What do you think?

I'd be interested in hearing your views....
X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is great you are experimenting, and giving each experiment a decent length of time to 'settle'.

I've fallen into various traps, er... learning curves, over the last 3-4 years.

One of them was discovering how marvellously steady my bg was on a steady intake of protein (gluconeogenesis). But it totally halted any weight loss, and meant that my protein intake was too high.

Haven't lost any weight with this intermittent fasting, but I am feeling much better on the lower protein, and my bgs are where I want them.

But give me another month or two and I will off testing some new theory, or eating plan. Change is the only constant, eh? :D

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving your work Brun!! It's because of you I discovered babybel Gouda so it's not all in vain!!!

I am going to see but I need to be as methodical as pos - not easy in my predicament but it's gotta be worth it.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Your experimenting and controls will pay off, Dr bernstein is right when he says eating patterns are vital,so that the bs knows whats coming,and can settle

Reactions: 3 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a good plan, after all our bodies are all different and send out different signals. My BS is in the 4's and 5's all day with doing IF but the one thing Ive noticed is that my.body lets me know in no uncertain terms is that if I go off track for a day my FBG pays for it for weeks.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think what you are saying is correct. I have had a disturbed work pattern this week due to staff shortages, so I've been eating at different times and have not fasted at all.

My BG's have been all over the place and I've put on a couple of pounds, even though I haven't eaten more food or different food.

Bodies like routine.