Great results thanks to all here!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may be a long post,a habit of mine so bear with me.But after blood test results I am delighted,over the moon actually and wish to share in the hope that I can inspire others on this journey.
I was diagnosed on 16th July as Type 2, blood tests flagged up a random blood glucose of 13.3 mmol/L and a subsequent fasting test of 11.4 mmol/L so no doubt about it.HbA1c 75.
A real shock and like many others it took me a while to get my head around it all.
Then I discovered this forum,spent lots of time reading around here and researching online.On the 1st August I decided LCHF was the way to go and went for it.Ideas,recipes,humour and inspiration from this forum has kept me going,with very few lapses.........so far.

Was tested on Monday and I am happy to share my results.Actually busting to tell someone who will understand if truth be told!

HbA1c. 14/7/15 75 02/11/15 42

Weight. 15st 6lbs 14st 2lbs

BMI 34.8 31.9

Also I got a complete lipids test which was very comprehensive.The last one was on 19th
June so a little further back.

Cholesterol 19/6/15 8.5. 02/11/15 5.4
HDL 1.0. 1.1
LDL ? 3.7
HDLC Ratio 8.5 4.7
Trigs 6.0. 1.1

Also a whole range of liver function tests and other stuff, all are now back within safe limits.I am sure I will be told off as my overall cholesterol is over 5.0 but I could not care less.
I am gobsmacked, I have tried hard and was a bit disappointed with not losing more weight, but my figs are better than I dared hope.
So for me LCHF has really worked.If you are type 2 and new to this site please take a close look at this.After all what have you got to lose.

Lastly and by no means least.....Thank you,Thank you, Thank you to all here who have kept me going.You have given me determination and a feeling that I am not alone.Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 21 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but the figures on my post are a bit messy not how it looked before I posted.

In summary HbA1c from 75 to 42
Cholesterol 8.5 to 5.4
HDL 1.0 to 1.1
LDL don't know to 3.7
HDLC ratio 8.5 to 4.7
Trigs 6.0 to 1.1

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done! Thanks so much for sharing, it's lovely to hear success stories like yours. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is soooo wonderful!

WELL DONE

And (i really hate adding this bit!) keep it up.

:D:D:D

Reactions: 3 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is soooo wonderful!

WELL DONE

And (i really hate adding this bit!) keep it up.

:D:D:D
That may well be more difficult.I have already been tempted to celebrate with something I have missed,but am loathe to do so.x

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
how wonderful to hear of your success .. :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Congratulationsyour hard work has paid off,clive

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done, keep up the good work. Have a small glass of red wine to celebrate, supposed to be good for diabetics!!!!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for all your kind replies.Still feeling pretty pleased with myself......... that no doubt means a major falling off the wagon incident is imminent! As always I will keep ya posted.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So time for an update. I started with low carbing on 1st August last year so just over 6 months.I have been sticking quite well with LCHF.A couple of lapses have occurred but I think it's ok to have a treat now and then.I find I am more focussed for a little while after doing so.So it probably balances out well.
Last Thursday I went for blood tests and got the results today.

HbA1c now 39 from 42 three months ago. 75 at diagnosis
Trigs 1.9 up from 1.1 oops! Was 6.0
HDL 1.1 still 1.1
LDL 3.5 down from 3.7
HDLC ratio up to 5.0 from 4.7

For some reason all the other tests were not done.Bit surprised as I thought kidney health needed to be watched especially as I am on Metformin.
Still pleased tho, especially as my HbA1c is now well within normal range.

Onwards to the 23rd of this month when I have a consultation with my DN and I will be looking to reduce meds or drop them altogether.
I hope this may provide a little inspiration, especially if you are new to low carbing.

Cheers

Reactions: 6 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Redsnapper brilliant results. Have you lost weight as well, or was that not an issue for you?
Sorry for the delay in replying.Actually that is the one thing that has not changed much in the last three months.I have only lost a pound or two,whereas in the first month about a stone and a half.
To be fair I have concentrated on diet only and pretty much given excersise a swerve.Mebbe time for an excersise bike or some intermittent fasting as I haven't tried either yet.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you can see from previous posts on this thread I am currently enjoying much better health with HbA1c down significantly over the last six months as well as much much better cholesterol figures.
My G.P. And D.N have not been in touch save very early on at my request,one consultation with each.So essentially I have been left to my own devices, thankfully in the hands of the good people here.
Therefore imagine my surprise not to mention irritation to receive a letter today where my G.P. notes that my cholesterol is slightly raised following last weeks blood test results. Overall cholesteroll up from 5.4 to 5.5 so ok that is above 5.0!! Largely due to my Triclicerides up from 1.1 to 1.9, so what still within limits. My LDL is 3.5 instead of 3.0 pfft!!!
No mention of the really important stuff for a recently diagnosed diabetic ie HbA1c down to normal range. I really wonder if he has actually noticed. I suspect he is more likely to be concentrating on keeping me on Statins ££££.
Letter firmly filed in the round file.Mental note to oneself to tell him to get tae ...... Fukushima if I see him again.

Reactions: 6 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you can see from previous posts on this thread I am currently enjoying much better health with HbA1c down significantly over the last six months as well as much much better cholesterol figures.
My G.P. And D.N have not been in touch save very early on at my request,one consultation with each.So essentially I have been left to my own devices, thankfully in the hands of the good people here.
Therefore imagine my surprise not to mention irritation to receive a letter today where my G.P. notes that my cholesterol is slightly raised following last weeks blood test results. Overall cholesteroll up from 5.4 to 5.5 so ok that is above 5.0!! Largely due to my Triclicerides up from 1.1 to 1.9, so what still within limits. My LDL is 3.5 instead of 3.0 pfft!!!
No mention of the really important stuff for a recently diagnosed diabetic ie HbA1c down to normal range. I really wonder if he has actually noticed. I suspect he is more likely to be concentrating on keeping me on Statins ££££.
Letter firmly filed in the round file.Mental note to oneself to tell him to get tae ...... Fukushima if I see him again.

I had a meeting with a consultant on Monday basically about fatty liver and told him my Cholesterol was high (at 5.1). He laughed and told me that 5 or 10 years ago 5.5 was considered normal and I shouldn't be worrying about that. He told me the best exercise is walking - I had mentioned I wanted to start running again, he said basically don't be so stupid, it does you more harm than good :)

Reactions: 4 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well had my meeting with DN today.A different nurse from my initial meeting.She was perfectly pleasant.But......

On seeing my HbA1c now normal " oh that's good " but no questioning of how I had done this.I assume she must have thought it was the diabetes fairies!
Concern and raised eyebrows as I have of my own accord gone from Metformin twice a day to once a day.I have a pill organiser and take meds once a day and I kept forgetting to take my second Metformin tablet anyway.Not sure I really need Metformin now as HbA1c is 39.Still taking one a day tho.
Eventually got round to diet and excersise.She has heard of low carbing, but it soon became apparent there was no real understanding of how it works.Horrified looks when I told her of the fats I eat.Essentially the message was I am going at it too hard and need to introduce pulses and root vegetables and " have I tried a low GI diet to release carbs more slowly".
But the real humdinger " maybe 39 is too low, we would be happier if you were around 52 or 53 " she thinks this will be more sustainable.Mmmmm and well into diabetic range.Words fail me.

I said in a previous post I would not be deflected,and I did not go for a pat on the back,but I have now decided I will let them test me when needed, and to help me manage my condition and I will continue to do my own thing regardless of their view.
Recently there have been small chinks of light with media recognition of LCHF but clearly there is still a long long way to go.
Anyway onwards.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes me very angry indeed. You have had a major success and because they can't believe it the healthcare professionals want to make you worse.. *** is going on in the NHS. Had the same with my last visit to the nurse not interested in how I had achieved the figures. She did at least admit they were amazing (almost in a tone that implied the initial diagnosis must have been wrong!). Good on you for continuing to follow your own path. I sometimes wonder how we can get the message out to everyone. (By the way I stopped metformin after 3 weeks of toilet time and insisted that they would never get me on statins).

Last edited by a moderator: