What is an acceptable hypo rate

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can I just ask....are you at real risk of complications if you have hypos? I generally dont start getting the shakes until around 3.6 but thats usually because im busy at work and neglect my snacks at times!

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually find there is not much distinction between high 3's and low 4's and you could probably test on the same meter in the space of a few seconds and find a different reading! I can cope with high 3's fairly easily one day and find a low four is sending alarm bells that I am heading downwards! Sometimes I just know I can have a couple of jelly babies to suffice till the next meal and others when a biscuit is also required! I am probably lucky and shouldn't take it for granted and have at times run a little higher than I would like when I am required to do something important and avoid the low! Incidentally night hypos are always much lower and in the 2's to early 3's but I can go a couple of weeks without hypos and then have several the next, For me, my ratios and requirements are always changing, very annoying really but hey that's life ;) I love the expert meter! But sometimes I still tell it it is wrong with what it is telling me to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would accept a hypo rate of anything less than twice a day. That would be really nice. I've been hypo 7 times today - probably about 40% of the day. I am such a bad diabetic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 247

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would accept a hypo rate of anything less than twice a day. That would be really nice. I've been hypo 7 times today - probably about 40% of the day. I am such a bad diabetic!
You know I am so glad to meet you on-line, other people here seem to be so exemplary. How long have you been diabetic and what meter do you use?

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I just ask....are you at real risk of complications if you have hypos? I generally dont start getting the shakes until around 3.6 but thats usually because im busy at work and neglect my snacks at times!
I think that the biggest complication is being disqualified from driving - which my consultant said he'd need to recommend if I didn't get hypo awareness back. And of course it is dangerous to be using machinery if you're hypo and don't know it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know I am so glad to meet you on-line, other people here seem to be so exemplary. How long have you been diabetic and what meter do you use?

This is year 5.

That's a picture of my dexcom CGM reading for today. Obviously I'm not using it terribly effectively to manage the hypos (it's been a busy day) but it does wake me up in the night, which is much better than the alternative.

I have no hypo awareness, so have had to surrender my driving licence.

I will now remind myself not to be jealous of other people's hypo rates. Because, frankly, that's too weird :)

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is year 5.

That's a picture of my dexcom CGM reading for today. Obviously I'm not using it terribly effectively to manage the hypos (it's been a busy day) but it does wake me up in the night, which is much better than the alternative.

I will now remind myself not to be jealous of other people's hypo rates. Because, frankly, that's too weird :)
Wow that does look like an amazing meter. How does it work - do you have a sensor on your skin somewhere? How often do you have to change it? Can you get replacements on the NHS? I have to say that the 'Expert' meter that I've been using for a few weeks seems to be really good at keeping me in the target range. Something that I failed at miserably before. Have you ever tried it?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that does look like an amazing meter. How does it work - do you have a sensor on your skin somewhere? How often do you have to change it? Can you get replacements on the NHS? I have to say that the 'Expert' meter that I've been using for a few weeks seems to be really good at keeping me in the target range. Something that I failed at miserably before. Have you ever tried it?

Yep the dexcom is amazing. There is a sensor (you inject a little wire under your skin), which you are supposed to change weekly, but it's not nhs funded & it's expensive, so this sensor is on week three.

I don't think the expert meter would work for me as my insulin sensitivity varies throughout the day and, more significantly, throughout the month!

Injector1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep the dexcom is amazing. There is a sensor (you inject a little wire under your skin), which you are supposed to change weekly, but it's not nhs funded & it's expensive, so this sensor is on week three.

I don't think the expert meter would work for me as my insulin sensitivity varies throughout the day and, more significantly, throughout the month!
How much do the sensors cost and how long might a sensor actually last - when would you know it's failing?

iHs

I try to keep my bg levels most of the day controlled between 5-6mmol rising to 8.5mmol and then falling back to 5-6mmol again. If I find myself getting a spell of low bg and I let it carry on before changing the settings on my pump, then my awareness of the hypo feeling starts to change and although I dont lose the awaress, the bg can go down to 2.5 to 3mmol before I pick up on the symptoms such as not being able to walk ok that well and drifting off to a dream like state. It is for the reason of keeping my awareness ok, that I try to get an bha1c no lower than 6.5% and try not to take any notice of what NICE recommends unless it can be to my advantage. I also now eat a low carb diet for most of my meals as that tends to make managing bg and using analogue bolus/basal insulin a bit safer. I also self fund Dexcom cgm and yes its very good most of the time as long as a calibration is done about 4 times per day as I have had times when I have thought the cgm data to be correct when it hasnt and a bg test has revealed the true level. If I dont use cgm and rely on my awareness, I dont do a bg test and instead eat something sugary to get bg to go up and then do a test 30mins later just to see what the level is. So far, my awareness probably kicks in around 3.4 to 3.8mmol.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is year 5.

Hiya you say that your driving licence has been suspended due to hypo awareness (lack of), I too have had mine suspended for a year due to hypos needing assistance. I have had type1 for 36 years now so have very little hypo awareness at all, have to be 2.4 or lower before I notice. I'm on the waiting list for a pump, and will try to get partial funding for CGM, but was hoping my licence may be renewed if not after 12 months then maybe 18.

Just wanted to know is your licence gone forever or for a limited time

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hirstygirl, there was an uplifting thread yesterday from a type 1 member who had lost their hypo awareness symptoms 4 years ago, they started on a pump last year and have surprisingly restored their hypo awareness, here is the thread from @yingtong:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hypo-awareness.92429/
Thanks noblehead, that is very good to hear, still it has taken a year to get awareness back, that is kinda disappointing, but I have also seen on other threads that some people get some awareness back by simply being on a pump so for now I hope I will be one of those

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i go low at least once a day but i think i don't have very good control. i've never passed out or needed assistance though, even at levels sub 2.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much do the sensors cost and how long might a sensor actually last - when would you know it's failing?

Sensors are £65 each. I usually get three weeks out of them, some people can get 4 or more. If it's failing I stop getting readings (instead of a number it will just say ???) or there is a sharp fall in accuracy. Have a look at the continuous glucose monitoring forum here if it is something you are interested in @tim2000s has done a very good thread on the costs of different systems.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya you say that your driving licence has been suspended due to hypo awareness (lack of), I too have had mine suspended for a year due to hypos needing assistance. I have had type1 for 36 years now so have very little hypo awareness at all, have to be 2.4 or lower before I notice. I'm on the waiting list for a pump, and will try to get partial funding for CGM, but was hoping my licence may be renewed if not after 12 months then maybe 18.

Just wanted to know is your licence gone forever or for a limited time

Hello, My doctor said I wasn't allowed to drive without hypo awareness & so I voluntarily surrendered my licence. It isn't permanent, if my consultant says I'm safe to drive again I can fill in the forms and (I assume once the DVLA get a letter from my consultant confirming) I can have it back.

I'm also on a waiting list for a pump. I don't think going on a pump will magically restore hypo awareness on its own. I think it is more about working hard to stay well over 4 as much as possible so your body realises that under 4 is something to be worried about so it panics and releases adrenaline which causes nice hypo symptoms. Seems like an awful lot of work from my point of view and clearly something I need to try harder at! Hopefully going on a pump will help with that.

Seeing @yingtong post that restoring hypo awareness is actually a possibility was really reassuring after my rubbish day yesterday! Well done :)

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, My doctor said I wasn't allowed to drive without hypo awareness & so I voluntarily surrendered my licence. It isn't permanent, if my consultant says I'm safe to drive again I can fill in the forms and (I assume once the DVLA get a letter from my consultant confirming) I can have it back.

I'm also on a waiting list for a pump. I don't think going on a pump will magically restore hypo awareness on its own. I think it is more about working hard to stay well over 4 as much as possible so your body realises that under 4 is something to be worried about so it panics and releases adrenaline which causes nice hypo symptoms. Seems like an awful lot of work from my point of view and clearly something I need to try harder at! Hopefully going on a pump will help with that.

Seeing @yingtong post that restoring hypo awareness is actually a possibility was really reassuring after my rubbish day yesterday! Well done :)
Thanks for coming back to me
I totally agree with what you say re pump therapy I don't expect it to magically make awareness return, but at the moment I'm doing all I can with carb ratio/testing trying tresiba long acting insulin and nothing seems to be helping, so I am thinking the pump can only help with all the hypos especially with CGM if I get approval that is

jbriscoe26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know what point you would be in danger of falling unconscious? I can usually tell if my BG is going below five, certainly below four but last week I thought I was just tired from exercise and/or poor sleep. It turned out my BG was 1.8.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know what point you would be in danger of falling unconscious? I can usually tell if my BG is going below five, certainly below four but last week I thought I was just tired from exercise and/or poor sleep. It turned out my BG was 1.8.
Yep tiredness and fatigue are another sign of hypo symptoms, I get tiredness with highs as well. Best test if you're starting to flag before it goes to low or high.