Pregnancy with type 1

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys
Anyone on here type 1 who has or is pregnant ?? I need some help and advice please thank you xx

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 have been trying for a baby for a year I've been taking my
Folic acid for about 4 months now ... My period was due last Wednesday and there usually like clock work, pregnancy tests are negative ....
Phoned my diabetic team and they have just told me to give it a couple of weeks :// don't really know what to do because I don't want to potentially harm a baby I long for any ideas ??

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi have you seen a pre conception diabetic team? They tell you the ranges your sugars should be in before you conceive and whilst you are pregnant etc?

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@1Sarah1 I haven't seen one no ... I've never actually heard of one I only see my diabetic nurse say twice a year they all know I'm trying for a baby and so does my doctor they have never mentioned any thing just told me to have good controls and take 5mg folic acid daily ... That's the only information I've ever been given xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 have been trying for a baby for a year I've been taking my
Folic acid for about 4 months now ... My period was due last Wednesday and there usually like clock work, pregnancy tests are negative ....
Phoned my diabetic team and they have just told me to give it a couple of weeks :// don't really know what to do because I don't want to potentially harm a baby I long for any ideas ??

My advice is to act as if you're pregnant just to be safe. So don't drink alcohol, keep good diabetic control and avoid things like pate and soft cheeses, etc.

Then test again in a few days or so.

I had a time like that when I was trying to conceive (I think anticipation messes up,your cycle sometimes). I wasn't pregnant, but I was happy to be careful just in case I was.

Don't worry about it. Try to relax. Concentrate on being healthy, and even if you're not pregnant this time, it'll be good practice for when you are :)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi as @azure says act like you are. Maybe ring your dsn and ask her what targets you should be aiming for. "Good" control is different in pregnancy. What was your last hba1c?
My targets were 7.5 hour after meal, below 5.5 pre meal but especially at breakfast. Are you injecting or pumping?

Reactions: 2 people

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm injecting at the moment my last hbac1 was September and that was 104 .... Very high been injecting properly and over checking to make sure there good ... I rang and they didn't really say much just that to check next week and go from there xx

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They told me today on the phone that they wouldn't start monitoring me until 12 weeks ?? Is that true when there the most vital weeks of pregnancy ??

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sorry but where are you seen? I am always shocked at the difference in care. I am only in pre conception but have been thinking of having a baby for over a year. I've done a BERTIE course been put on a pump and see the DSN every month now I'm getting closer to the 7/ 6.5 target. Can you look for alternative NHS services. My friend had a bad experience in the hospital in the next town and gas moved to mine as care is so good.

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm under Sandwell hospital .... Can you believe I have never even heard of that course either ? No wonder people in the world are struggling with diabetes no one is properly taken care of !! I've never been told of pre conception and I last saw my dsn September when I have a hbac1 of 104 !! My doctors never make any effort to see me and when I call with a problem or a issue/question they tell me to go to AnE my bloody range from 6-9, insulin is strong Aswell I find my self doing more but eating less :/ don't have any lows though xx

jade88

Hi katieeeb welcome to the forum! It's worrying that they say they won't monitor you until 12 weeks! As soon as I fell pregnant o started having weekly calls with the diabetic midwife where I would give her all my blood sugar readings for the prev week and then we would discuss if we thought any of my ratios or background insulin needed changing.

I also attended a pre conception clinic where I was given a target of getting my hbac1 below 7 and the following targets for blood sugars of 5.3 before meals and 6.4 two hours after.

The advice and care given does differ slightly depending on where you attend but it gives you a rough guide! xxx

Reactions: 3 people

katieeeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like I live in a area that doesn't care then!! It's really good that there are people here that I can speak to who understand where I'm coming from my hbac1 was high because of me being petrified of needles :( I've just tried beating it so I can get it right so I can have a family really need to get on to my doctors about this pre conception clinic xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @katieeeb your hba1c needs to come down to in the 40s really to have the best chance of having the best pregnancy possible. I'm really shocked at you having no contact. There are NICE guidelines for pregnancy/diabetes that you can refer to as these are the clinical standards. I was seen immediately as soon as I was pregnant but did pre conception. My hba1c first pregnancy was about 7.5 I think (about 58)to start with and my consultant told me this was still too high. My second pregnancy with my twins (now 4m old) my hba1c was in early 40s/30s throughout.

Ps if you don't like needles can you try the pump?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looks like I live in a area that doesn't care then!! It's really good that there are people here that I can speak to who understand where I'm coming from my hbac1 was high because of me being petrified of needles :( I've just tried beating it so I can get it right so I can have a family really need to get on to my doctors about this pre conception clinic xx

Push for support in getting your HbA1C down too. I appreciate you're scared of needles (me too - much better now but still there) but hopefully once you can see your HbA1C coming down, that'll be an encouragement. I was told that the target was 43. Fortunately, mine was below that so I never had to go to a pre-conception clinic, but I'd definitely have gone if it was too high.

Aswell as possibly helping with your needles issues, a pump might give you better control of your diabetes too. Ladies are often moved to a pump during pregnancy for that reason.

Reactions: 4 people

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm under Sandwell hospital .... Can you believe I have never even heard of that course either ? No wonder people in the world are struggling with diabetes no one is properly taken care of !! I've never been told of pre conception and I last saw my dsn September when I have a hbac1 of 104 !! My doctors never make any effort to see me and when I call with a problem or a issue/question they tell me to go to AnE my bloody range from 6-9, insulin is strong Aswell I find my self doing more but eating less :/ don't have any lows though xx
Hi Katie, I'm really really shocked as I have been under the care of Sandwell and never had this type of experience!!! If you message me privately I can recommend my doctor, depending on where you live and give you more advice.