What are your Blood Glucose when you've woken up?

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi....When i've woken my blood Glucose Levels are between 8.6 and 10.1 give or take, just wanted to know if that's the norm they're ok during the day between 6.2 - 7.5

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is more than one possibilty here. You have not told us how you control your bgl i.e. what meds you are on, what diet etc, so I will have to generalise here.

Firstly, it could be due to eating high protein or fat late in the evening, or a bedtime snack. I found that the timing of my evening meds was important, and if I take them too early, then they lose eficiency over time, so I have to drop my meal into the middle of that window. i found that I need to take my metformin half an hour before the meal so that it has disolved in time to block the glucose absorption in the gut. Once glucose has entered the bloodstream, then Metformin has very little effect. It also loses effectiveness with time, so will be less useful if the meal is delayed too much. Fat and protein take longer to convert to glucose than normal carbs, which is why I say a late meal with high fat and protein is not a good idea. I delay my Gliclazide tabs till my 2 hr PP reading, since it stimulates insulin, and works on glucose already in the blood. This timing allows me to adjust the dose depending on how my bgl is reacting to the meal.

The last question I need to ask is - do you test bgl late at night, so is the morning reading higher than the bedtime reading, or is it just a hangover from the night before. If it is not lower than the post meal reading, then it may be the medication needs changing in either dose or timing as already discussed above.

Second thing to consider is what is called Dawn Phenomenon, which in itself has 2 possible causes. The common one is that our bodies naturally increase glucose levels in the morning so that we have the energy to get up. Apart from advising that you get up as soon as you wake and do not spend time lazing in bed, then there is not much one can do about this. The second cause is having a mini hypo in the night. This depends on your medication and also timing of the last meal. The only way to find out if this is happenening is to use a CGM meter, or setting the alarm clock for the early hours then testing bgl when it goes off.

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is more than one possibilty here. You have not told us how you control your bgl i.e. what meds you are on, what diet etc, so I will have to generalise here.

Firstly, it could be due to eating high protein or fat late in the evening, or a bedtime snack. I found that the timing of my evening meds was important, and if I take them too early, then they lose eficiency over time, so I have to drop my meal into the middle of that window. i found that I need to take my metformin half an hour before the meal so that it has disolved in time to block the glucose absorption in the gut. Once glucose has entered the bloodstream, then Metformin has very little effect. It also loses effectiveness with time, so will be less useful if the meal is delayed too much. Fat and protein take longer to convert to glucose than normal carbs, which is why I say a late meal with high fat and protein is not a good idea. I delay my Gliclazide tabs till my 2 hr PP reading, since it stimulates insulin, and works on glucose already in the blood. This timing allows me to adjust the dose depending on how my bgl is reacting to the meal.

The last question I need to ask is - do you test bgl late at night, so is the morning reading higher than the bedtime reading, or is it just a hangover from the night before. If it is not lower than the post meal reading, then it may be the medication needs changing in either dose or timing as already discussed above.

Second thing to consider is what is called Dawn Phenomenon, which in itself has 2 possible causes. The common one is that our bodies naturally increase glucose levels in the morning so that we have the energy to get up. Apart from advising that you get up as soon as you wake and do not spend time lazing in bed, then there is not much one can do about this. The second cause is having a mini hypo in the night. This depends on your medication and also timing of the last meal. The only way to find out if this is happenening is to use a CGM meter, or setting the alarm clock for the early hours then testing bgl when it goes off.

Hi i take 2 Metformin 500mg with breakfast and dinner and 1 Gliclazide 40mg 20-30 mins before, the lastest i eat is about 7-8 pm i don't really snack i just stick to my main meals, i'm pretty new to this i was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago when my B/G was 30.6 this this morning it's 7.8 during the day it ranges between 6.2-7.4, i'm still learning things as i go along. As for waking up i've gotta try to get out of bed as soon as i wake up but it's hard when you're still feeling tired and you're like oh just another 10 mins then oh just another 10 :dead: plus it's really cold in the morning so that's another obstacle lol. Thank you for your advice :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i take 2 Metformin 500mg with breakfast and dinner and 1 Gliclazide 40mg 20-30 mins before, the lastest i eat is about 7-8 pm i don't really snack i just stick to my main meals, i'm pretty new to this i was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago when my B/G was 30.6 this this morning it's 7.8 during the day it ranges between 6.2-7.4, i'm still learning things as i go along. As for waking up i've gotta try to get out of bed as soon as i wake up but it's hard when you're still feeling tired and you're like oh just another 10 mins then oh just another 10 :dead: plus it's really cold in the morning so that's another obstacle lol. Thank you for your advice :)
I understand. By dinner do you mean the evening meal? You are on a similar meds regime to me. I am doingLCHF diet, and now I find I get Dawn phenomenon which I did not before. My body seems to want to get to a medium of around 7 and I am currently averaging 6.8. My next xhallenge is to drop it another point without giving myself hypo's. I would say that your day readings are very good compared to where you were 2 weeks ago. Your morning readings are not that bad, so I would say you are on track. The Metformin takes a while to kick in properly. you could try moving your evening Gliclazide to the right a bit to see if that changes things.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my B/G was 7.8 this morning i know that's still a little high but it's a tiny bit lower,

There is no miracle cure for Type 2 Diabetes.

You were only diagnosed 2 weeks ago, so whatever changes you are making will take time to work.

Reactions: 2 people

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no miracle cure for Type 2 Diabetes.

You were only diagnosed 2 weeks ago, so whatever changes you are making will take time to work.

Yeah i know i've just gotta chill and stop worrying lol, my nan had T2 she was a worrier and she went over the top and lost 4 stone in 3 months.