Hi I'm new to this

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, and welcome!

You mentioned a brain tumour? Do you know where in the brain it is?

The reason I ask, is that the location may be very relevant. I have a tumour in the pituitry gland (not strictly the brain), and because it is a hormone producing gland, it most definitely has an effect on stress and bloodglucose handling.

Other locations might be affecting appetite, or memory, or many other areas...

I am not an expert, or a medical professional, but I spent a bit of time reading up on my tumour, and found that it explained a heck of a lot of things that I had been experiencing for about 20 years.

Thanks for your comments, you sound very knowledgeable. my daughter tumour is above her right ear. I have noticed several changes stress management, appetite and coordination are a few. Her fuse is a little shorter some days I can usually cause a distraction as I believe it could be the tumour or the knowledge of its existance plus her other complications making her unusually grumpy. Although having said that I believe Diabetes can cause mood swings also? She has been looking on this site since I showed it to her and is very interested in it.
A friend had ten tumours removed on Wednesday this week. In short: wound very small, sitting in a chair out of bed the next day, discharged yesterday (Saturday). Amazing!

Reactions: 2 people

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Janspice

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will help you to help your daughter. Ask as many questions you want and someone will be able to answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Thank you for this information it's very helpful and much appreciated.

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great to hear about your daughter and her driving! Unfortunately, given the nature of the syndrome my daughter has, independence is not something that will ever be possible for her. We had an extremely difficult life when she was with us and although we love her dearly, we had come to the end of the road as far as caring at home was concerned.
I won't detract from your thread though:)
Don't worry about my thread it's great to hear from you. I understand totally how difficult careing for someone is and as I get older I wonder how long I can continue. That is why I try to make her independent. I hope I am doing the right thing but only time will tell. I admire you for you bravery in letting your daughter be cared for by others. I suppose you now get to be the good guys all the time when you see her which must be great.
Jen recently had a bad reaction to antibiotics which gave her a dreadful stomach upset which of course sent the bg levels totally haywire. The GP recommended stopping the Gliclazide and we found she has a urinary tract infection more scary blood levels. When she was diagnosed with diabetes we were bombarded with dietary info and food pyramids etc (but no one explained how to identify a hypo or hyper and what to do.) I had to stay up all night as was recommended by GP to take her blood sugar levels every two hours. We were both on our knees the next day. She is still off Gliclazide and I am controlling her levels with diet and exercise at the moment but she is running out of fingers to prick? We have the problem in that when I suggest something she will not listen but will take notice of others. Drives me made and I am thinking of asking for help so that we can spend some time apart each week. I think it will do us both good.

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Welcome to the site. I am sure you will find it extremely helpful. Quite apart from getting to talk to others in the same boat (or at least very similar vessels), I have learned about about Type 2 and about the best ways to get in control of it. You should definitely explore the forums (particularly Type 2 and the forums there, the Low Carb forum and the others you consider most relevant, but also look at the links on the home page and find out more about foods, about testing etc. Also, I don't know what age your daughter is but there are threads for kids and young adults...and she will undoubtedly find people to relate to. there's a thread or parents too. Also, while it may seem that learning difficulties identify people with specific problems so they can group together..I'd advise (which probably won't surprise you) that she interacts with whoever...anyone. I used to teach and manage a boarding house full of kids...and I have honestly never met anyone who didn't have difficulty learning in some way (myself included)! We are all variations on a theme really...one extreme to another, and no-one has everything sussed... a bit like diabetics really...but she will gain from the site, as will you...don't hesitate to post any concerns on the Ask A Question thread. You will always get answers. the important stuff to start with is..what's her current level (has she had an HbA1c test), does she test herself with a meter...do you have one? And what is her diet like. I have no doubt at all that really big steps can be taken by reducing certain kinds of foods, and the more you/she knows about the situation the more control you/she can take. Anyway - explore and let us know a wee bit more so we can advise you and your daughter, or at least offer some opinions for you to consider. Do say "Hi" to you daughter.

Paul

note you can enter info in the way I have (below) and others do...by selecting "signature" from the menu up by hovering over your name on the tool bar - its helpful for others to see what's what,and you can see people's approaches and progress at a glance.
Hi Paul
I noted your comments on Gliclazide and recent telephone conversation with GP he did not sound too impressed that my daughter was on this medication. ( prescribed by endocrinologist) Due to a very recent reaction to antibiotics the GP recommended stopping the medicine for the time being. I haven't noticed much change in bg levels and was wondering what your story was was with this drug. Did you find everything rather confusing when you were first diagnosed or am I being a bit thick?
Hi from Jenna.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi Paul
I noted your comments on Gliclazide and recent telephone conversation with GP he did not sound too impressed that my daughter was on this medication. ( prescribed by endocrinologist) Due to a very recent reaction to antibiotics the GP recommended stopping the medicine for the time being. I haven't noticed much change in bg levels and was wondering what your story was was with this drug. Did you find everything rather confusing when you were first diagnosed or am I being a bit thick?
Hi from Jenna.

Hi Jan, Hi Jenna...While I understand that Gliclazide is a fairly common treatment...it's not generally the first choice. In many cases, pre-diabetics or those who have been recently diagnosed (unless with very high levels) are asked to try change to diet and exercise/lifestyle for a while..they are then tested and the position re-evaluated..at which point metformin is the most commonly prescribed drug. I was put on 80mg Gliclazide once a day when diagnosed (with a reading of 20.5) following a kidney transplant...metformin is not suitable for renal transplant patients..hence the Gliclazide. I didn't really know enough about diet then and purely avoided sugary stuff. I had no real problems with the drug (hard to single it out for side effects as I'm on quite a few meds) and it did help... a little. It was doubled without any real sign of more impact, and levels, while lower, were still not into the normal range. I made more progress when I realised cutting carbs was more effective, and the levels dropped so well, I came off Gliclazide by choice and informed my doctors. When they saw my next test results, the doctors accepted I was better without it. That said, and despite more progress, I went back on Gliclazide as I wanted to see what it did with my diet so well under control. No sign of it doing anything...in fact readings got a bit confusing..so I stopped again. I can't say it was bad for me at all..just not much use. However, it's only fair to say ..maybe a higher dose may have had more impact. it's been a very low carb diet that has been working for me. I would add..my brother also had a transplant (same condition as me) and was on Gliclazide but came off it as it was giving him crazy dreams. Maybe Jenna's doctors thought it was the best choice given her other complications...I'd ask them. One last wee bit of info...I had NO problems stopping it at all. I think the only way to track its impact on blood sugar levels is to note stuff in a diary form as follows

date 28th Jan
food/meds taken time reading if any comments
30mg Glic 8am 6.9
boiled egg 9am
11am 6.2 slight drop (may be Glic ??- observe for patterns)

This kind of recording helped me identify all kinds of things that were having an impact. You should try it. Also, it helps you show the doctor something pretty specific.

I would see how you go with and without it if you know what I mean...talk it over with your GP. Print this off even..and see what he thinks. I think it's really good you have a GP who is cautious on Jenna's behalf. Let me know ho it goes.

Jenna - hi...I hope you're ok and you're not eating too many sweet things...too many sweet things aren't so good for us, and ..if you're sweet enough already - you don't need them, pal.

Take care Paul

Reactions: 4 people

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jan, Hi Jenna...While I understand that Gliclazide is a fairly common treatment...it's not generally the first choice. In many cases, pre-diabetics or those who have been recently diagnosed (unless with very high levels) are asked to try change to diet and exercise/lifestyle for a while..they are then tested and the position re-evaluated..at which point metformin is the most commonly prescribed drug. I was put on 80mg Gliclazide once a day when diagnosed (with a reading of 20.5) following a kidney transplant...metformin is not suitable for renal transplant patients..hence the Gliclazide. I didn't really know enough about diet then and purely avoided sugary stuff. I had no real problems with the drug (hard to single it out for side effects as I'm on quite a few meds) and it did help... a little. It was doubled without any real sign of more impact, and levels, while lower, were still not into the normal range. I made more progress when I realised cutting carbs was more effective, and the levels dropped so well, I came off Gliclazide by choice and informed my doctors. When they saw my next test results, the doctors accepted I was better without it. That said, and despite more progress, I went back on Gliclazide as I wanted to see what it did with my diet so well under control. No sign of it doing anything...in fact readings got a bit confusing..so I stopped again. I can't say it was bad for me at all..just not much use. However, it's only fair to say ..maybe a higher dose may have had more impact. it's been a very low carb diet that has been working for me. I would add..my brother also had a transplant (same condition as me) and was on Gliclazide but came off it as it was giving him crazy dreams. Maybe Jenna's doctors thought it was the best choice given her other complications...I'd ask them. One last wee bit of info...I had NO problems stopping it at all. I think the only way to track its impact on blood sugar levels is to note stuff in a diary form as follows

date 28th Jan
food/meds taken time reading if any comments
30mg Glic 8am 6.9
boiled egg 9am
11am 6.2 slight drop (may be Glic ??- observe for patterns)

This kind of recording helped me identify all kinds of things that were having an impact. You should try it. Also, it helps you show the doctor something pretty specific.

I would see how you go with and without it if you know what I mean...talk it over with your GP. Print this off even..and see what he thinks. I think it's really good you have a GP who is cautious on Jenna's behalf. Let me know ho it goes.

Jenna - hi...I hope you're ok and you're not eating too many sweet things...too many sweet things aren't so good for us, and ..if you're sweet enough already - you don't need them, pal.

Take care Paul

Hi Paul, mums says I am very sweet I would make your b/g go off the scale. I only have two squares so Bounville chocolate when my readings are good. Sometimes I make it into hot chocolate dissolving it in hot milk, no cream or marshmallows anymore though. Huh! Jenna

Thanks Paul, wow you are a brave man. I have taken your advice regarding low carbs and Jenna's levels remain approximately between 8.5 and 10.6 which is a huge improvement. But she still has an infection and so hope for improvement when this has cleared. I have however been locked on to the Internet researching food GI levels and found a couple of sites which helped www.whfoods which give a List of the GI values to food groups and Sydney University which is pretty much the same but with access to a food GI database. I have also been virtually literally dragging Jenna out on walks with the dogs. (Apologies for the English ) getting her to excersize is the hardest part she would live on the sofa.
I have completely changed our diet we are both on a low carb diet, I personally feel better already.
We did try the Lidl low GI bread and rolls today and it is very tasty. I did research it's content first. It is predominantly grains and seeds and very light in texture.

When we go back to see the GP on Monday, I am going to ask about forming a buddy scheme and newly diagnosed support group. Jenna has type 2 as you know and that has been enough of a worry so to be diagnosed with Type 1 must be down right scary! We had little or no support initially and it would have been nice to have a buddy.

From what I have read via the web Australia have symbols on food to indicate the GI level!

We know of a man at the art group we go to who has type 1 and eats doughnuts and cake etc etc and then adjusts his insulin accordingly. Sounds like Russian rocket to me, he has already lost one leg!

Thank you so much for your advice it has made a huge difference cutting carbs etc. I will print off you note and take it to the GP.
Take care Jan

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hey Jenna, great to hear from you. Good news for you, pal...cream is ok! In fact it's way better than milk...so tell your mum you can have cream in your hot chocolate, and tell her if she doesn't believe you she is to check out online the difference between milk and whipped cream or even double cream in terms of how many carbohydrates each has in it, and how much sugar. Even better, find out yourself and show her...let's you learn, take control and get cream back in your chocolate! Also..see if you can find online chocolate that is 90% cocoa - if you can..you can have more of that than bourneville! I eat 4-6 big squares every day. Anyway...you take care, and let me how how you are doing.

Jan - so glad things are moving in a good direction. If there's anything I can do to help at all - don't hesitate. I hate exercising too...not the fitness type! We have, however, purchased a treadmill! and I can walk inside and watch TV at the same time! Shocking I know! I get out too! It certainly helps with all the snow we have! Just an idea..like bribery. In fact, any kind of fitness device indoors, with a TV or music to listen to...not a bad idea, eh?
Am I being daft - or are you guys in Oz (ie. the country not the magical land)? By the way..when you have posted 17 or more times, we can exchange private messages as you will then have that facility. This avoids dominating threads and makes contact easier generally. Anyway...you take care (of yourself too).

Paul

Reactions: 4 people

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Jenna, great to hear from you. Good news for you, pal...cream is ok! In fact it's way better than milk...so tell your mum you can have cream in your hot chocolate, and tell her if she doesn't believe you she is to check out online the difference between milk and whipped cream or even double cream in terms of how many carbohydrates each has in it, and how much sugar. Even better, find out yourself and show her...let's you learn, take control and get cream back in your chocolate! Also..see if you can find online chocolate that is 90% cocoa - if you can..you can have more of that than bourneville! I eat 4-6 big squares every day. Anyway...you take care, and let me how how you are doing.

Jan - so glad things are moving in a good direction. If there's anything I can do to help at all - don't hesitate. I hate exercising too...not the fitness type! We have, however, purchased a treadmill! and I can walk inside and watch TV at the same time! Shocking I know! I get out too! It certainly helps with all the snow we have! Just an idea..like bribery. In fact, any kind of fitness device indoors, with a TV or music to listen to...not a bad idea, eh?
Am I being daft - or are you guys in Oz (ie. the country not the magical land)? By the way..when you have posted 17 or more times, we can exchange private messages as you will then have that facility. This avoids dominating threads and makes contact easier generally. Anyway...you take care (of yourself too).

Paul
Hi Paul no we are not in Oz we are southern England, wish we were in Oz. A treadmill sounds great and in front of tv luxury. We have lovely walks here as we are very near open fields and the river so it's good to get out. Jenna is often ill and I get cabin fever if I spend too much time indoors. Jenna suffers with anaemia (the list is long) and needs to get out side. Puts roses in her cheeks especially in this awful wind! The GP stated that if it's sunny I should sit her in the sun for 20 minutes (I love the way doctor talk sometimes) and she has Epsom salt baths which apparently helps your body absorb vitamin D.
I thought of a treadmill in the past for both of us and the dogs. Can't think where we would put it?
I seem to spend my life researching food at the moment! Our larder, fridge and freezers hold completely different stocks now every day I learn something new, today's lesson was cream and chocolate, thanks to you.
I had a reply email from Jenna's Endocryologist today and he seems happy with the Gp's guidance at the moment, it's great being able to email him.
Do you get very tired when your b/g is either high or low? Which level makes you grumpy?
Jenna's art class today and one of the well meaning ladies was almost trying to force feed her biscuits and gave me a disgusted look when I produced a satsuma and small bag of nuts for Jen's snack. She kept saying it's only a biscuit and I let Jenna educate her as I was obviously an unfit mother. Surely "I'm diabetic" should be enough?
Jenna is in bed now but I'm sure she will be delighted with your news on chocolate and cream.
Take care.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi Paul no we are not in Oz we are southern England, wish we were in Oz. A treadmill sounds great and in front of tv luxury. We have lovely walks here as we are very near open fields and the river so it's good to get out. Jenna is often ill and I get cabin fever if I spend too much time indoors. Jenna suffers with anaemia (the list is long) and needs to get out side. Puts roses in her cheeks especially in this awful wind! The GP stated that if it's sunny I should sit her in the sun for 20 minutes (I love the way doctor talk sometimes) and she has Epsom salt baths which apparently helps your body absorb vitamin D.
I thought of a treadmill in the past for both of us and the dogs. Can't think where we would put it?
I seem to spend my life researching food at the moment! Our larder, fridge and freezers hold completely different stocks now every day I learn something new, today's lesson was cream and chocolate, thanks to you.
I had a reply email from Jenna's Endocryologist today and he seems happy with the Gp's guidance at the moment, it's great being able to email him.
Do you get very tired when your b/g is either high or low? Which level makes you grumpy?
Jenna's art class today and one of the well meaning ladies was almost trying to force feed her biscuits and gave me a disgusted look when I produced a satsuma and small bag of nuts for Jen's snack. She kept saying it's only a biscuit and I let Jenna educate her as I was obviously an unfit mother. Surely "I'm diabetic" should be enough?
Jenna is in bed now but I'm sure she will be delighted with your news on chocolate and cream.
Take care.

Hi. I just tried sending you a private message but to no avail. Maybe you need more posts than I thought before you have that facility. Aye..well meaning people can be rather frustrating, eh? As to whether or not I get tired when levels are up or down...I have not noticed it really..but then my levels are seldom really low. I think I have only been below 4.0 once since diagnosed! As to what makes me grumpy..apart from Glasgow Celtic losing tonight, the government, the economy, ignorant people and the weather,,,,many things...including blood sugar levels if they are not what I want! But again, not so sure the levels themselves make me grumpy. It is hard to tell when you are a grumpy old git like me!

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The GP has increased my daughter medicine so I hope things will improve ? I did tell GP that I had reduced Jenna's carb intake and she advised to be careful we don't want her to go too low! Aaaaaah! Just when I think I have got it the goal post moves! She is looking and feeling a lot better today, she slept all day yesterday, I kept giving her a prod just to make sure she would wake up! How do people manage who live on there own it must be such a worry sometimes and scary.
We received a letter from Neuroscience wing of hospital today and Jen has an appointment for a pre op assessment the beginning of March. So it looks as if they are going to remove the tumour soon. I have mixed emotions, I am pleased but a bit scared too. But of course I put on my mater of fact voice when explaining it to her and she took it on the chin, but she never makes a fuss. We cannot access her email account at the moment I am going to sort it out tomorrow and then she can open an account here. She's definitely better she's being Lippy and I'm having to suffer the Mummy Returns on TV!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
The GP has increased my daughter medicine so I hope things will improve ? I did tell GP that I had reduced Jenna's carb intake and she advised to be careful we don't want her to go too low! Aaaaaah! Just when I think I have got it the goal post moves! She is looking and feeling a lot better today, she slept all day yesterday, I kept giving her a prod just to make sure she would wake up! How do people manage who live on there own it must be such a worry sometimes and scary.
We received a letter from Neuroscience wing of hospital today and Jen has an appointment for a pre op assessment the beginning of March. So it looks as if they are going to remove the tumour soon. I have mixed emotions, I am pleased but a bit scared too. But of course I put on my mater of fact voice when explaining it to her and she took it on the chin, but she never makes a fuss. We cannot access her email account at the moment I am going to sort it out tomorrow and then she can open an account here. She's definitely better she's being Lippy and I'm having to suffer the Mummy Returns on TV!

Keep me posted, Jan. GPs do tend to overreact when cutting carbs is mentioned, but it's the only way to really get the level down..and if you stay ahead of it by reference to meter readings..it will get more predictable. Still - good to be cautious.
So, I guess the lippier Jenna is the better!
Oh no - The Mummy Returns is dreadful...and not a patch on Boris Karloff!

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Boris Karloff! I have heard of him but can't remember him? How are you doing you never mention your health you just counsel me which I thank you for. (This iPad pre empts your text like Microsoft aaah I thought swapping to Apple would eliminate that) Jenna seems better now her dose has been increased and I have been dragging her out on walks which I believe will help. I looked at treadmills but we have a small cottage no room for such equipment. I am now looking at exercise bikes which include a cross trainer. She uses her WII a lot but hates it when I join in (apparently I do it wrong and dance like Grandad, thanks for that Jen). I did look into the effects of her particular brain tumour and it is possible that it could be effecting her diabetes! We are not checking her levels so much at the moment, instructions from the doctor, unless she looks or seems off tilt otherwise three to four times per week. Jenna is resenting the low carb diet and frequently asked how long do I have to be on this diet? Do you recognise when your b/l are low or high by how you are feeling? Breakfast seems to be the trickiest meal of the day I seem to give her eggs a lot and she told me today that it's time for something different ( she actually said "I think we have eggausted eggs for breakfast mum" I keep chickens and ducks so they are an easy option) I know that the tumour affects her sense of taste but would you know if diabetes also effects taste?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Boris Karloff! I have heard of him but can't remember him? How are you doing you never mention your health you just counsel me which I thank you for. (This iPad pre empts your text like Microsoft aaah I thought swapping to Apple would eliminate that) Jenna seems better now her dose has been increased and I have been dragging her out on walks which I believe will help. I looked at treadmills but we have a small cottage no room for such equipment. I am now looking at exercise bikes which include a cross trainer. She uses her WII a lot but hates it when I join in (apparently I do it wrong and dance like Grandad, thanks for that Jen). I did look into the effects of her particular brain tumour and it is possible that it could be effecting her diabetes! We are not checking her levels so much at the moment, instructions from the doctor, unless she looks or seems off tilt otherwise three to four times per week. Jenna is resenting the low carb diet and frequently asked how long do I have to be on this diet? Do you recognise when your b/l are low or high by how you are feeling? Breakfast seems to be the trickiest meal of the day I seem to give her eggs a lot and she told me today that it's time for something different ( she actually said "I think we have eggausted eggs for breakfast mum" I keep chickens and ducks so they are an easy option) I know that the tumour affects her sense of taste but would you know if diabetes also effects taste?

Hiya. I'm not surprised your doctor advises less testing...almost all of them do...I still think it's the only way to figure out what's working. Treadmills are a bit large...any garage or shed or anything outside? How about a bench and some wee weights? She might get into that, and that kind of exercise in moderation is good for diabetics. Breakfast is a pain..I have been slipping up lately and eating bran flakes (bad, bad idea). Normally I have these smoked cheese slices from M&S (no carbs at all) with some dried bacon slices again no carbs),,,it's difficult to vary things for breakfast really...it's the meal I struggle with. My health? Ouch...too dull to get into. Today is exactly one year since my transplant! I shall be out later with my sister (the donor) to celebrate. I'm doing ok. The kidney is good. I have a little discomfort still around the scar tissue and inside the muscle, and some digestion problems. I am a bit lethargic and not so motivated as I am not working. I get a bit of muscles pain in the neck and stuff...but on the whole I'm fine. I had some other issues to get my head around but I am getting there. Hey - life is never easy, but it's all to be learned from, yeah? x

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya. I'm not surprised your doctor advises less testing...almost all of them do...I still think it's the only way to figure out what's working. Treadmills are a bit large...any garage or shed or anything outside? How about a bench and some wee weights? She might get into that, and that kind of exercise in moderation is good for diabetics. Breakfast is a pain..I have been slipping up lately and eating bran flakes (bad, bad idea). Normally I have these smoked cheese slices from M&S (no carbs at all) with some dried bacon slices again no carbs),,,it's difficult to vary things for breakfast really...it's the meal I struggle with. My health? Ouch...too dull to get into. Today is exactly one year since my transplant! I shall be out later with my sister (the donor) to celebrate. I'm doing ok. The kidney is good. I have a little discomfort still around the scar tissue and inside the muscle, and some digestion problems. I am a bit lethargic and not so motivated as I am not working. I get a bit of muscles pain in the neck and stuff...but on the whole I'm fine. I had some other issues to get my head around but I am getting there. Hey - life is never easy, but it's all to be learned from, yeah? x

Congratulation on your one year milestone, you have a very special sister and you both sound very brave. scar tissue can be very uncomfortable to say the least. It took me ages to get motivated when I gave up work to care for Jenna, it's awful. I still get a sense of urgency on Mondays and excitement on Friday nights because it's the weekend! I miss the buzz of working and getting a fat cheque at the end of the month but I love my life in other ways now. I agree with you how can you possibly know what's working if without testing? Now that Jenna is on a higher dose I have to be more careful and have increased her carbs slightly she was getting hungry but would not test her blood. This morning she had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with Burgen toast, in fact she had smoked salmon and rivita for morning snack and this afternoon, she likes smoked salmon. I thought I might have some this evening, I love it with lemon and black pepper, but I think she has been having sneaky nibbles as the empty packet is in the bin. We do have a cabin in the back garden but it's tooooooo cold even with a heater on. I have some weights somewhere?? I agree life is never easy and to be learned from it's the crash courses I find the most difficult!