Australian scientists "discover" a low carb diet is good for T2s

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lol, great sarcasm. The tide is slowly changing from this starch+starch+drugs+spiral into hell

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Wow, who would of thought says an Aussie on the Newcastle Diet

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@tim2000s
Actually I was a little flippant. The CSIRO is the most respected scientific body in this country. This will flow quickly thru to the Australian Medical Community. I think it is fair to say that the Newcastle Diet (Taylor) is moving into the mainstream internationally

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@tim2000s

I'm sitting in Canberra the nations Capital on a Thursday evening and I found out that Australian Scientists discovered the benefits of Low Carb Diets on the DCUK forum on the DCUK forum.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tim2000s
Actually I was a little flippant. The CSIRO is the most respected scientific body in this country. This will flow quickly thru to the Australian Medical Community. I think it is fair to say that the Newcastle Diet (Taylor) is moving into the mainstream internationally

But the Newcastle Diet isn't mentioned in this article - it is talking about low carb.

@tim2000s

I'm sitting in Canberra the nations Capital on a Thursday evening and I found out that Australian Scientists discovered the benefits of Low Carb Diets on the DCUK forum on the DCUK forum.

AWESOME!!! :D

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This was the original story. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/02/a...gh-protein-and-fat-diet-that-fights-diabetes/

I actually thought "***" when I read that "Scientists had discovered" - what they mean is that "Scientists discovered the DCUK forum and read about Low Carb diets and their benefits...

It is actually amazing/awe-inspiring (and every other positive adjective) to see things like this becoming more and more evident. It's crazy to think that it started with people saying on the forum 'hey everyone, this is what I do and it works'... and now it's kind of exploding into the media. It's great to see!! :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
By the way, we improved the search on the forum. We're currently developing/implementing the Google search but there was an advanced search we hadn't installed so that's on there now... (was trying to find the thread where it was mentioned but struggled!)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Administrator
You folk do a tremendous job and provide an amazing vehicle for information sharing in the Diabetic community (Not just the UK) I do hope that as a matter of course NHS direct all new diagnosed to this site. (I can't imagine how much money it would save them) Big Fan!!

Reactions: 6 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
perhaps they should also point all trainee Diabetes HCPs here to!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
perhaps they should also point all trainee Diabetes HCPs here to!
Wouldn't hurt would it. I'm no expert of course, but there seems to be a problem with the medical profession telling patients to stuff themselves up with carbs and then giving them medication to slow down the absorbtion of carbs. Erm.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator .. The internet is a very powerful place .. This site has been able to show the world that a different approach to eating works ... All credit to diabetes co uk .. It helped me to get my life back and my diabetes T2 in remission.
Note the wife has never liked eating ng carbs and you have show that she is right .. Pat on the back for that :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Administrator
You folk do a tremendous job and provide an amazing vehicle for information sharing in the Diabetic community (Not just the UK) I do hope that as a matter of course NHS direct all new diagnosed to this site. (I can't imagine how much money it would save them) Big Fan!!

We're informed regularly by GPs (in fact, as recently as Monday) that they sign post to the forum. The conflict is often 'but there is conflicting information', but actually, when people discuss/talk and read other peoples experiences, it just kind of separates the fact from fiction, and it's just amazing. A number of people have often cited the people on the forum as being key in influencing this *crazy and welcome* change currently going on. It's fantastic/an honour to hear these compliments, although realistically it's the *people* talking to each other that is helping/inflencing health outcomes. Forums such as these should certainly be considered within wider healthcare and be seen as something to support the healthcare profession rather than them becoming annoyed by it!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is actually amazing/awe-inspiring (and every other positive adjective) to see things like this becoming more and more evident. It's crazy to think that it started with people saying on the forum 'hey everyone, this is what I do and it works'... and now it's kind of exploding into the media. It's great to see!! :)
Hmmmmm. Not many of those people who said it first are still on this forum. I wonder how the doubters feel about it all now?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually they've taken their time haven't they? I was discovering LCHF for myself almost 9 years ago, folks were talking about it here over 8 years ago, and finally the scientists are catching up.:rolleyes:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can remember getting told in the early seventies, that to keep fitter playing footie, I would be better off giving up, bread, beer and spuds!

Funny that!:rolleyes:

Did I take notice?

Huh!

Reactions: 3 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually they've taken their time haven't they? I was discovering LCHF for myself almost 9 years ago, folks were talking about it here over 8 years ago, and finally the scientists are catching up.:rolleyes:
I just hope the medical profession catches up here too.