Around the world

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone

I wondered if I could ask all the people who use the forum from a round the world how easy it is to get meds in their country? I ask as I'm considering moving aboard in the future but I don't know what other countries are like for medication. I don't have a set place in mind so would love to hear all views.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear.

In Denmark, sharps and strips come from one source and insulin/drugs from another. The local authority gives you a bevilling or authorisation to order strips and sharps directly from a medical supplies firm, so you order those as you like up to an annual limit. If you exceed it you ask for another. That's free and you order online.

Then the insulin and other prescriptions are placed on the health computer system and are good for nine renewals. Any pharmacist can access those. When you're about to run out you email the doctor and ask for a repeat prescription. You pay for those, about half the cost. At the beginning of the medical administrative year the cost of my Novorapid and Insulatard Penfill boxes was £80 - yes, £80; by now it's £22.

So supplies are free, but drugs are not.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This document shows country by country what was available in Europe a few years ago (can't find the publishing date but have known of it for some time) Things may change and I know that access to blood glucose monitoring strips for some T2s has since been restricted in many countries .
Also this will be what should be available to someone who is a part of the countries health care scheme; not necessarily someone who has just arrived from another country (applies to EU as well as elsewhere) https://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/FULL-STUDY.pdf

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for replying. It's scary some of the answers.
I'll have to think more

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Australia and New Zealand extend the services of the NHS to Brit's and allow you a 6 month prescription in a single go, so they would just replicate what you get in the UK