32 weeks readings all over the place!

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm type 1 and 32 weeks pregnant. I've been really insulin resistant up to now and on 60 units of novorapid with each meal. For the last few days my readings have just been all over the place and not making sense at all. Mostly they seem to be slightly high 1hr post meals but then I'm having hypos with in 2-2.5 hours of eating. But then my 1hr evening meal reading yesterday was lower than my pre meal reading?! :confused:

I'm so confused and not sure whether to be worried about all the hypos. I know it can be a sign of placenta issues in 3rd tri :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's best to speak to your DSN to get advice. if you're at all worried, see if you can get an extra appointment to see your team.

What I did when I was worrying about hypos late on, was to eat a meal I knew was 'right' and then compare my readings afterwards with the readings I'd got before when I'd eaten that exact same thing.

But phone your team today just to put your mind at rest. That's what they're there for :)

Reactions: 4 people

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I've spoken to my DSN and he discussed with my consultant and they don't seem concerned and have reduced my insulin dose. Baby is moving well and I have a growth scan on Thursday anyway so will check on baby then.

Really suffering with all the hypos now though. Had one of 2.3 today only 2 hours after eating a mars bar! And my 1HR post evening meal tonight was 3.9 which obviously isn't ideal!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@salamander If you're ever concerned during pregnancy, give triage a call. My midwife told me they'd rather have 100 calls that turn out to be false alarms than miss one :)

Good luck with your scan and let us know how things are going :)

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had my growth scan yesterday and the placenta is fine but I'm worried about how shes growing! At 29 weeks her AC was measuring at 30+2 weeks and yesterday at 33 weeks her AC was measuring at 31+5 weeks. Thats only 10 days growth in 4 weeks!! The consultant wasn't worried but I think she misread my notes as she said baby was small last time too but she wasn't. I'll be seeing her again in 2 weeks for another scan so hopefully baby will have grown some more. It does make me worry more that there is some sort of issue with the placenta though even if it looked normal yesterday!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had my growth scan yesterday and the placenta is fine but I'm worried about how shes growing! At 29 weeks her AC was measuring at 30+2 weeks and yesterday at 33 weeks her AC was measuring at 31+5 weeks. Thats only 10 days growth in 4 weeks!! The consultant wasn't worried but I think she misread my notes as she said baby was small last time too but she wasn't. I'll be seeing her again in 2 weeks for another scan so hopefully baby will have grown some more. It does make me worry more that there is some sort of issue with the placenta though even if it looked normal yesterday!

Remember that the growth scans are just estimates. The growth is estimated by inputting certain measurements, so if the baby is in an awkward position then the measurements might not be spot on and so will affect the size estimate. However, if you're genuinely worried, then speak to your midwife to put your mind at rest. I had an extra growth scan because of concerns - which turned out to be ok.

Regarding the placenta, there are only certain things they can check eg blood flow to it using a Doppler scan. But there's no definite test for whether it's 'failing'. I asked my consultant a lot about this. If there was a definite test then I'd have been able to go further in my pregnancy, but I was induced early as a precaution, like many women with diabetes, as they couldn't verify the placenta was going strong.

Has she remained in the A&E or similar percentile? I looked at that rather than body parts because they can grow at varying rates.

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks azure. My consultant only does AC measurements, she refuses to give weight estimates and doesn't plot anything on a graph so I've no idea what centile she was/is on so its kind of hard to tell if its concerning or not. I guess we'll know more in 2 weeks when shes measured again. It was a Doppler scan she did on the placenta which was normal so hopefully nothing to immediately worry about :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah ok. My scan measured a number of body parts. I don't remember all of them, but things like AC, femur length, various head measurements. Then a printout was put in my antenatal notes which was a report listing the measurements in quite a lot of detail and various graphs and comparisons, including centile charts. I'm sure this was aimed at my OB not me, but I always had a look. The length and weight estimates were on that report too.

If you're concerned, next time you could ask why only the AC is being measured. As I understand it, the AC is compared with the head circumference to see if there's any mismatch. Maybe your consultant is using some other method to determine this?

Do you also see a community midwife? If so, you could ask them too. I found they had more time to discuss things usually.

At least you know your consultant is happy :)

Reactions: 2 people

jade88

Try not to worry too much! The estimated size of baby at my 36 week growth scan was 6lbs 10oz but when I had him 12 days later he weighed 9lbs! It really is just an estimate it's not always accurate! xxx

Reactions: 4 people

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both. I'm trying not to worry about her size and concentrate on her movements.

Still having lots of hypos so will need to reduce insulin more I think. Had my worst ever hypo of 1.9 this morning which is scary since I'm often home alone with my 2yr old :(

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll have to! I didn't even realise I was low because I was dozing on the sofa. If Flynn hadn't made me get up I'm not sure what would have happened. It's a scary thought!

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to update. My baby girl was born by elective section on 23/3 at 9.17am. She weighed 8lb 13oz! I read my notes after I got home from the hospital and turns out the placenta was unhealthy so it seems the hypos may have been an indication after all but thankfully everything turned out well and me and baby are home and healthy x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @salamander do you mind if I ask how it all happened? Were you 34weeks? Hope you & baby are both doing well xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to update. My baby girl was born by elective section on 23/3 at 9.17am. She weighed 8lb 13oz! I read my notes after I got home from the hospital and turns out the placenta was unhealthy so it seems the hypos may have been an indication after all but thankfully everything turned out well and me and baby are home and healthy x

Congratulations! Love to you and your little girl :)

I'm so pleased all went well. Thank you for updating us and enjoy every minute with your daughter :)

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks we're both doing well!

Mrsass my blood sugars suddenly started dropping at 32 weeks and between then and 36 weeks I reduced my insulin by around 20%. They seemed to steady a bit after that. All growth and doppler scans were fine. I had an elective at 38 weeks due to a previous section xx