Oranges.....Good or Bad ?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested at 7:am.........Gone up to 10.8.......I wonder why ?.......one thing I have noticed though, I am not so thirsty all the time, and although drinking lots of water I don't seem to need to to pee all the time......does this sound normal ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol

Well, thanks to you all, I have bought oranges for the first time in about 3 years.
:woot:

Am going to try @nosher8355 's technique of 2-3 segments at a time, cos last time I spiked hugely.
Will I be able to resist just one more, though...? :nailbiting:

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tested at 7:am.........Gone up to 10.8.......I wonder why ?.......one thing I have noticed though, I am not so thirsty all the time, and although drinking lots of water I don't seem to need to to pee all the time......does this sound normal ?
I wouldn't worry about it being a wee bit higher, you could test straight away and get a slightly different reading, it's similar to your last few readings. The frequent urination and thirst is a sign of your body struggling with the high blood sugar levels, so the fact that they've lessened is a good sign. I don't know how active you are but exercise really helps to lower your levels, and helps with insulin sensitivity, doesn't have to be anything strenuous, just a long walk would help.

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too use soya milk for my tea and alpro unsweetened for my cerial first thing in a morning , I asked the diabetic team about not having cerial as was very carbyand they said it was a must otherwise would mess up all my diabetic medication
Well as long as your levels are ok there is no reason to stop eating them some can eat them ok others can't we are all different. Are you taking Gliclazide as I know with that they say you need to eat some starchy carbs otherwise you can hypo

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't worry about it being a wee bit higher, you could test straight away and get a slightly different reading, it's similar to your last few readings. The frequent urination and thirst is a sign of your body struggling with the high blood sugar levels, so the fact that they've lessened is a good sign. I don't know how active you are but exercise really helps to lower your levels, and helps with insulin sensitivity, doesn't have to be anything strenuous, just a long walk would help.
Thanks for that, nothing to worry about then.......I do walk quite a bit, and as the weather warms up will be walking more, and cycling as well.

Reactions: 5 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested at 4:30 pm.......gone back down to 9.9..........lunch consisted of sardines, round of brown bread and pint of water.

Reactions: 3 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you feel that you must have bread I suggest trying half a lidl high protein roll or a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread .Most of us find Brown bread spikes us just as white bread does

CAROL

Reactions: 5 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you feel that you must have bread I suggest trying half a lidl high protein roll or a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread .Most of us find Brown bread spikes us just as white bread does

CAROL
Thanks for that, going to Lidl in the morning to see if they have it.

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for that.......I am on 500mg Metformin.......once a day.....and eat what I THOUGHT was a fairly healthy diet.......I may have to drastically review this......Del.
Am sorry to inform Del 80 that 500mg Metformin once a day cannot control you Type 2 diabetes. You need see your Diabetic Care Team for review. I take 850mg three times daily plus other diabetic tablets in achieving control.

On Oranges - I have been taking one orange plus 1 apple (or some red & green grapes) daily after lunch with my diabetic medications for almost 20 years of being a diabetic and I achieve good control.

Yes, it spikes the blood glucose but if you take mild exercise daily before supper it will crash down to below 8.1mmol/L (145mg/dL). Vitamin C in fruits is healthy and necessary in a diabetic diet despite the dilemma of spiking the blood sugar but exercise will jack it down.

Reactions: 3 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
With respect, fruit is not necessary for a diabetic diet, Vitamin C can be obtained through vegetables. For many, diabetes is controlled without medication, or minimum Metformin - I do this myself, and really only take Met for its cardiovascular protective properties. Each to their own, but for me, any number over 7.5 is way too high. I do eat apples because I can, but don't touch grapes or oranges as my levels go too high. Best to test, and see what happens!

123sheila

T
O.k......Had small bowl of porridge for breakfast, 2 plain digestive biscuits and mug of tea with 1/2 teaspoon of canderel mid morning.......tested at midday......15.9..........Del.
The 2 digestives are putting your levels up. Just have the porridge.

corbishley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would say your metformin dose needs increasing.my bs reading when diagnosed was 31 !!! my gp is a diabetic expert and put me on 1 metformin 500 mg increased by 1 per week to stop running to the loo,until I got to 4 500mg per day,i take 2 500mg after breakfast and 2 500mg after my evening meal.i now have well controlled readings.go back to your gp to discuss increasing the metformin.

corbishley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would say your metformin dose needs increasing.my bs reading when diagnosed was 31 !!! my gp is a diabetic expert and put me on 1 metformin 500 mg increased by 1 per week to stop running to the loo,until I got to 4 500mg per day,i take 2 500mg after breakfast and 2 500mg after my evening meal.i now have well controlled readings.go back to your gp to discuss increasing the metformin.

corbishley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ask gp about the x-pert course for type 2 very informative helps to manage bs level and educates to understand how the body makes glucose and what foods to eat and quantities.the eat well plate is used so you don't have to weigh food gives % of each food group which I found a real help.it lists foods good to eat to control spikes and shows swops you can make so you can still enjoy your food and have treats.Yum!

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested at 7:am............11.0.......it seems to go up slightly overnight.......is this normal ?......I don't have any supper the night before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Tested at 7:am............11.0.......it seems to go up slightly overnight.......is this normal ?......I don't have any supper the night before.

Yes, it's called "liver dump" or dawn phenomenon ... employ the forum using the search box, type in either of those expressions and you will be flooded with information.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@Del80

Hi Mate, You have done such a great job since that 26.6 a week ago. The variations in your readings are not large and in fact fairly consistent 9.9 - 11 over the last few days. Medications are definitely a matter for your GP and I believe you have booked in but had to wait a few weeks? In the meantime I would work to get those levels down further before I would be experimenting with Oranges etc. I would dump the bread and biscuits for the next couple of days and try a little walking after each meal (even around the loungeroom). Also if you are having sugar in your cuppa give that a miss as well. I know you Poms love your porridge but do you like eggs cooked anyway with grilled tomato and cheese (a low carb breakfast alternative)

Good luck and keep us informed

Reactions: 6 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Del80

Hi Mate, You have done such a great job since that 26.6 a week ago. The variations in your readings are not large and in fact fairly consistent 9.9 - 11 over the last few days. Medications are definitely a matter for your GP and I believe you have booked in but had to wait a few weeks? In the meantime I would work to get those levels down further before I would be experimenting with Oranges etc. I would dump the bread and biscuits for the next couple of days and try a little walking after each meal (even around the loungeroom). Also if you are having sugar in your cuppa give that a miss as well. I know you Poms love your porridge but do you like eggs cooked anyway with grilled tomato and cheese (a low carb breakfast alternative)

Good luck and keep us informed
Thanks for that.....Not going to bother with the oranges at the moment until it goes down a bit more.....not having sugar at all and having plenty of bacon and eggs....oh, and now giving bread and biscuits a miss as well.

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Thanks for that.....Not going to bother with the oranges at the moment until it goes down a bit more.....not having sugar at all and having plenty of bacon and eggs....oh, and now giving bread and biscuits a miss as well.
Great Call. Next see how that impacts over the next few days. How are you feeling?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great Call. Next see how that impacts over the next few days. How are you feeling?
Been feeling a lot better over the last few days thanks........couple of times felt a bit ropey, but not as bad as I was over the last few weeks.

Reactions: 4 people