Tiredness

Flossy11

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter was diagnosed last Friday. I'd taken her to doctors as she had lost some weight, and had started getting up in the night to go for a wee. Other than at she was an energetic, happy and active child. The hospital praised me for getting her checked on just those 2 symptoms. The doctor did the test and her blood sugars were 18. She was taken straight to hospital for further tests and the T1 diagnosis and started on insulin injections. Since the diagnosis though, she has become more and more tired, and can't be bothered to do anything. The hospital said this will get better in a few days as her body adjusts to the new low, but it's been 8 days now and just wondered how long this takes and if anybody has experienced the same thing?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tend to agree with the hospital @Flossy11, it does take time and you have to remember your daughter has been on a emotional roller-coaster ride over last few weeks.

I do remember myself being emotionally drained/tired by it all post-diagnosis, looking back I think it may have taken a couple of weeks before I got my head round it all and felt better.

Reactions: 2 people

Kitkatdrake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Flossy, my daughter who's 13 was diagnosed on the 22nd Jan and spent a week in hospital, her levels were 28 when we went in, apart from drinking lots and going to the toilet lots she really was ok and didn't seem to be ill, a little tired and a little weight loss but at 13 her body is changing so much they do go through a skinny stage. She went back to school last Wednesday on half days but still gets tired like you say and isn't interested in doing much apart from sitting in her room. I hoping all this is just the initial phase as its been a constant worry and a very tearful and emotional time as you all know from your own experiences.

Sharonwarrior

Hello, all 3 of my children (age 7, 11 and 12) have now been diagnosed with Type 1. My daughter had a similar experience to yours but the boys bounced back quite quickly. Things did come right with my daughter though - there is such a lot to understand for everyone.

KirstyN76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kitkatdrake my daughter was diagnosed 22nd dec (8years old) very similar to your experience - drinking and peeing more. We were devastated when she was diagnosed and I have never felt anxiety like it but I can assure you it does get better week by week.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Wow @Sharonwarrior all 3 sounds hard although I guess in a way it means the same for the whole family ie food etc. I was age 2 type1 and my 2yr old was diagnosed in December. I was devastated. (My twins were only 2months at the time too).
Its definitely hard just got to keep going! xx

Reactions: 2 people

Kitkatdrake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi kirstyn76, I hope so we couldn't get her levels up last night pass 6 so advise to half her levemer then test every 2 hours in the night. She woke up 9.4 and had novo rapid as normal and then the rest of the day has been 4.1 4.2 then 3.7 we were advised to give food first then novo rapid at lunch at tea which we've done. I'm dreading testing her later as she keeps dropping and I don't know why. So tired and worried x