Depression and Diabetes

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so I've had this condition for 17 years and it never gets easier. I'm feeling very low and alone with diabetes and I just want to meet other people with diabetes who are going through a similar emotional roller coaster.

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Meghalton - Hello and Welcome to the Forum:) You have come to the right place, everybody on here is so helpful, friendly and supportive. William

Reactions: 4 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm only 4 weeks diagnosed but often feel the same, many here will have had similar feelings. You are not alone if you are on this forum!

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there are many diabetics especially those that have lived with the condition for a while that have not felt 'down' about it at some point! I know I have! After 35 years I still have days when I want that 'diabetic holiday' It can be relentless and does not always go to plan, other things seem more important sometimes and you still have to test and inject when trying to deal with what else life throws at you! You have come to the right place! I only found this forum in the last year and didn't know anyone else that could relate in the way people do on here, even just reading a thread can be beneficial in making you feel some sense of 'normal'. Welcome and you are not alone!

Reactions: 7 people

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there are many diabetics especially those that have lived with the condition for a while that have not felt 'down' about it at some point! I know I have! After 35 years I still have days when I want that 'diabetic holiday' It can be relentless and does not always go to plan, other things seem more important sometimes and you still have to test and inject when trying to deal with what else life throws at you! You have come to the right place! I only found this forum in the last year and didn't know anyone else that could relate in the way people do on here, even just reading a thread can be beneficial in making you feel some sense of 'normal'. Welcome and you are not alone!
It seems like the right place! Thanks for the comment, I can't even imagine having it for 35 years! 17 is bad enough. I do feel very alone with diabetes and am sick of injections and blood pricks. I have tried the pump but didn't get on with it., although that was a while ago and I am now wondering If I should try it again. I hated the wire that went with the pump and now they've moved on with them and... No wires! I'm just unsure about a change, I'm so down with life in general, I'm not sure I'll be able to cope.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit, like you, I tried a pump and had problems with the cannulas so after 6 months reluctantly gave it up! I have at times thought of giving it another go just for the tight control but have managed post pump to get better control by the re educating into carb counting and stuff I had to do for the pump. I must admit I am happy to be back on the pens because that suits me but I have spent a lot of my life getting wound up about my control going the wrong way and have learnt over the years not to stress so much when that high reading inevitably shows itself from time to time, I try to deal with it and move on as I found that diabetes was governing me instead of the other way round! I am sorry you are feeling so down about it all, is there any support networks around you? does anyone else know how you are feeling? A problem shared and all that...Keep using the site as there are an awful lot of people that I am sure can relate to you and offer you some comfort.

Reactions: 6 people

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit, like you, I tried a pump and had problems with the cannulas so after 6 months reluctantly gave it up! I have at times thought of giving it another go just for the tight control but have managed post pump to get better control by the re educating into carb counting and stuff I had to do for the pump. I must admit I am happy to be back on the pens because that suits me but I have spent a lot of my life getting wound up about my control going the wrong way and have learnt over the years not to stress so much when that high reading inevitably shows itself from time to time, I try to deal with it and move on as I found that diabetes was governing me instead of the other way round! I am sorry you are feeling so down about it all, is there any support networks around you? does anyone else know how you are feeling? A problem shared and all that...Keep using the site as there are an awful lot of people that I am sure can relate to you and offer you some comfort.
Thanks for the reply. I've always tried to stay motivated with diabetes and it's just going badly at the moment. My partner knows how I feel but I thought it might help to meet others like me. Just reading your comment has made me feel less alone. Thank you x

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad! Look around the main site because there are some articles on 'diabetes burnout' which would may help! I have and they make a lot of sense of some of the feelings I have felt at times!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @Meghalton and @NinaB73

a warm welcome to you meg and some great posts nina !!
i would like to take your 35 and raise it to a 43 :D:D

meg -- it is really difficult to keep on "keeping on" but i always try to focus on the positives in my life -- like my lovely wife and that I have been blessed with being on the planet for 57 years so far.

and Nina -- that "diabetic holiday" you mention -- i have nagged my GP and consultant for years about just getting a week off from the constant extra thinking that goes on. ( among other things )
but again I must say that i always try to start each day as it is the most important yet and to do my best .
( it's all we really can do )

your whole back and forth conversation has been an inspiration to read -- so many thanks for that !!

Reactions: 7 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Meghalton ! I know exactly where you're coming from... my dearest wish is for a day off! As that's not a possibility I'm just trying to crack on as best as I can. That's what's great about this forum - we all understand the daily grind of diabetes, and it's lovely to know that we're not the only one with ups and downs.

Welcome!

:)

Reactions: 5 people

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey there @Meghalton and @NinaB73

a warm welcome to you meg and some great posts nina !!
i would like to take your 35 and raise it to a 43 :D:D

meg -- it is really difficult to keep on "keeping on" but i always try to focus on the positives in my life -- like my lovely wife and that I have been blessed with being on the planet for 57 years so far.

and Nina -- that "diabetic holiday" you mention -- i have nagged my GP and consultant for years about just getting a week off from the constant extra thinking that goes on. ( among other things )
but again I must say that i always try to start each day as it is the most important yet and to do my best .
( it's all we really can do )

your whole back and forth conversation has been an inspiration to read -- so many thanks for that !!
Yes @himtoo 35 years seem crazy let alone 43!! Keep on notching them up don't we! And yes my consultant is never too obliging about that holiday.....:(