Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I've mist the point with that comment

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend not to drink a lot of carbonated drinks as they gas me up, but a Diet Coke with ice is nice & refreshing drink and I'll occasionally have one when dinning out and have to drive, like everything it's moderation.

I find a gin and reduced sugar fevertree tonic even more refreshing than a diet coke. That count?

If not then a sparkling water with ice and a slice ;)

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I used to drink a lot of Pepsi Max no sugar but very sweet ... More than happy with COLD sparkling water what are your views? Please

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am afraid that entire barrages of scientific surveys are irrelevant to me, whether they argue for or against the use of sweetners.

I'm 48, which has given me decades of personal experience with artificial sweeteners. Sometimes I have had them intentionally, sometimes hidden in food and drink. Sometimes I am sure, I have not even noticed. However, different sweeteners can have different effects. Portion size is, I am sure, important. Sometimes it is that horrible chemically after taste (Diet Coke AND Diet Pepsi) sometimes it is insomnia (that gets old, fast), sometimes it is a jittery feeling, like too much coffee (that'll be the ones with caffeine then ;) ) Sometimes it is restless, cat-on-coals feeling.

Took a while to work out that it was the various chemicals in these drinks (and other processed food and drink), but now that I avoid them like the plague, life is much improved.

Huge studies are all very well for taking years to produce a single questionable finding, ready for it to be batted about, chewed and deconstructed by peer review. All very entertaining. But I prefer to listen to my body, and it says that Coke, Pepsi and all other such drinks do not suit me. (nor does sugar free jelly, which is a source of sadness, but improved sleep :) )

And the older I get, the less they suit me.

When I was diagnosed I switched to sugar free drinks, mainly Pepsi Max. My partner changed over at the same time as me because it was easier than buying 2 different types of coke. That was almost a year ago.

Just recently I mentioned to her that I was waking up with strange hand cramps in the morning and getting pains in my knees, to my surprise she replied that she was experiencing similar symptoms.

Looking around the web at various things I discovered several listings related to Aspartame and joint pain. We have now been Aspartame free for almost 2 weeks and the pains appear to be subsiding. Of course this may be coincidence, so I'm thinking of re-introducing Aspartame to my diet to see if the pains come back again.

I can only find 2 colas that don't contain Aspartame, Sainsbury's own brand which is sweetened with Sucralose and the new(ish) Coke Life which is sweetened with Stevia.

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed I switched to sugar free drinks, mainly Pepsi Max. My partner changed over at the same time as me because it was easier than buying 2 different types of coke. That was almost a year ago.

Just recently I mentioned to her that I was waking up with strange hand cramps in the morning and getting pains in my knees, to my surprise she replied that she was experiencing similar symptoms.

Looking around the web at various things I discovered several listings related to Aspartame and joint pain. We have now been Aspartame free for almost 2 weeks and the pains appear to be subsiding. Of course this may be coincidence, so I'm thinking of re-introducing Aspartame to my diet to see if the pains come back again.

I can only find 2 colas that don't contain Aspartame, Sainsbury's own brand which is sweetened with Sucralose and the new(ish) Coke Life which is sweetened with Stevia.
Be careful with Coke life it's not sugar free just reduced sugar it still has 22g of sugar in a can

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/drinks/coca-cola-life/coca-cola-life/

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fine, some people have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners that is obvious and it's easy for them to know they shouldn't take them.

The peer review process is an important part of ensuring that scientific findings are as accurate as possible. Some studies have questionable findings, while others have stronger findings, and it takes knowledge of the scientific method and study design principles to be able to distinguish between them.
Scientific findings need scientific research. If you read some of the claims that Scientist disclaim because of lack of evidence makes you wonder what they are supporting. Scientific method and study is the way to prove a theory. But if scientist dont do the research then how can they disclaim the theory?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doesn't anyone think that in moderation most things are ok
I most definitely do. No, let me try that again. I rather think you might be right. (Even moderate agreement is probably better, don't you think?)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't anyone think that in moderation most things are ok

Yes, for most people, for most things.

But exactly for that reason, there are people on the edge of the normal range, whose requirements are different. The outliers on the bell curve.

I'm dead centre on the curve of many things, but artificial sweeteners, I'm right there, on the edge.

And i have a sneaking suspicion that the unpleasant side effects that happen to me, happen to others, to a lesser extent. So much lesser that they can't detect it. But does that make it OK?
Not in my book. Fortunately, everyone is free to make their own decisions. As with everything.

Actually, i hope i am wrong. I would get no satisfaction from being proved right, and watching people experience long term unpleasant effects, after decades of ignoring the risks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think I have drunk my last can of diet pepsi or coke or any thing else with Aspartame in it. As it seems it can in some cases cause eventual loss of sight and is particularly dangerous in this respect for diabetics.

Also they are likely to be made with tap water and can have high levels of fluoride in them the reason I only drink bottled water as I live in a fluoridated area another toxin that diabetics in particular should avoid..

This thread got me thinking about it. So thank you CatLadyNZ

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe it's just a case of their own tactics at spreading misinformation being returned in kind?

http://www.beyondchron.org/conflicts-of-interest-real-important-and-undeniable/
If find a lie within the first paragraph of a document, I don't even bother to finish it. I couldn't rely on anything it says without fact-checking it. If the carelessness - or deliberate misinformation - annoys me enough I may actively work to debunk it - even if it supports my side of the argument.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True. Then the question is, did it help give you insulin resistance? I'm not sure how it would. It would be interesting to find out why he thought that, but I guess we'll never know.
Just a guess - perhaps he didn't argue an assertion you (Celeriac) made about Diet Coke? I have doctors who humor me by just not arguing against anything I say - and sometimes even go so far as to say, "That could be," or "I guess so."