Injecting

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everybody! I have a question if like to ask and I hope someone can help! I've had type 1 diabetes for over 2 years now and when Injecting insulin I usually or always inject in my stomach....i feel like this is making my stomach look bigger that it was! Can that happen?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Saeeda
welcome to forum:)

what it sounds like you could be describing is signs of Hyperlipotrophy.
i have popped an image on to show ( Sorry)

download.jpg

it is really important to rotate your injection sites as much as possible using thighs , and top of backside as well as stomach.
here is a pic showing all the places

imgres.jpg

all the best !!

Reactions: 3 people

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The image is exactly what I mean! But because I'm so slim it looks really bad....thankyou So much for reply:)

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too Saeeda. But I *do* rotate stomach injections. No lumps, but my tummy fat just is getting more. I hate it! Where will it stop? .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Saeeda @LucySW

On MDI I would inject my bolus doses in the stomach or arms and basal in my bum or legs, as Paul says injecting into the same site all the time will only lead to lipo issues.

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I used to do morning left arm, afternoon right arm, tea time stomach and bed time legs, different places each time

Reactions: 8 people

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too Saeeda. But I *do* rotate stomach injections. No lumps, but my tummy fat just is getting more. I hate it! Where will it stop? .

You sound just like me...i Think to myself my tummy fat is getting bigger and where will it stop.it really is worrying and bothering me now

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You sound just like me...i Think to myself my tummy fat is getting bigger and where will it stop.it really is worrying and bothering me now
Hi Saeeda
the most important thing is trying to keep calm and keep thinking 1 day at a time -- if you can do this and focus on really rotating sites -- you should be able to get at least 21 sites per thigh ( and yes I know that bruises are a bit more likely in thighs )
and putting ALL your basal insulin doses into your backside hopefully you can avoid your stomach for a few weeks and give it a chance to rest.
I used arms on Multiple daily injections as well and that can really help to use stomach less.

You can do this i know you can -- I am in your corner to help support -- I have been injecting for 43 years and managed to avoid the lumps so i am positive you can as well

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww thankyou so much for your message...i Will definitely take your advice and injecting on my thighs more.and give my stomach abit of a rest

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
keep calm and rotate is the only advice give your tummy a rest for 2 weeks :D

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But @himtoo and @Type1Lad, I *am* rotating in my stomach. I cycle thro about 25 different positions on the stomach. We're not talking about lumps here. Is just *any* Novorapid going to do this?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @LucySW
in these days of multiple daily injections site rotation can be more difficult due to the sheer volume of injections in a day.
also injecting in some of the sites kind of requires us to be contortionists to achieve the place to inject into.( especially some of the sites above backside and on the back sides of arms.
I know it isn't easy and with between 4-7 injections in a day ( typically) it will soon come round to a site that has been used recently ( circa 3 weeks ?? )
all you can realistically do is rotate as much and the best you can to try and not overuse sites ( that is the easy and convenient thing to do )
I am really sorry that I cannot be more REAL help -- I really do understand and have loads of empathy for you :oops:

ps- just as an additional thought am tagging @tim2000s as he has used an injection port and am wondering if he feels that might assist in lessening the rotation strain in any way ??

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes. I'm going to try those out if I can get them.

Thanks @himtoo. I'll use my arms for a week. But even *with* rotation, this increase in fatty stuff? I'm taking weeny doses, from 1 to 2.5 u Novorapid.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had a bit of a further read on this subject this morning and I don't think it is necessarily the quantity of insulin going in -- more it is the foreign object being inserted combined with the insulin and the bodies own autoimmune response.
( I am sure I will be corrected if this is not the case :) )

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds very likely, you know. Alas. Now that I'm beautifully svelte, this blob is all the more obvious.

Ah well - I'll try the injection ports, some if the time at least. They're quite expensive.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to all of you! I just thought I'd tell you about my insulin disaster the other day.i went out for a meal so time to inject I went to the ladies.at bedtime my sugars were horrendous - 21.4!!.i went to bed and the next morning I tested it was over 21!!i was in shock and just could not believe that had happened.do you think it could be because of the way I injected in the ladies??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi there
the where and how is less likely to be an issue compared to -- what exactly did you eat and how much insulin did you inject ?

if it was a high carb type meal then perhaps you under estimated your insulin requirement for that meal.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
I've been injecting for close to 25 years and my favorite site was back of my arm. I have scar tissue there now due to over use of the same location but not as you describe, but I rarely inject in my stomach. I believe you can get paper templates to show locations, lay those over a location and inject based on that, that may also allow you a system to rotate between legs, bum, arm and stomach.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello to all of you! I just thought I'd tell you about my insulin disaster the other day.i went out for a meal so time to inject I went to the ladies.at bedtime my sugars were horrendous - 21.4!!.i went to bed and the next morning I tested it was over 21!!i was in shock and just could not believe that had happened.do you think it could be because of the way I injected in the ladies??

Did you take a correction dose at bedtime?

Although I wouldn't inject in a loo I don't think that would make any difference, you've probably just mis-calculated the carb content of your meal.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think yes I did miscalculate the carb content now that I think about it.and a correction dose - I always fear taking that at bedtime incase I get a hypo during the night.but I should have definitely done that I've learnt...I was so disappointed wen I looked at the machine and it showed the result!