Running advice

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm approaching my mid 40's and have noticed zero improvement in my running prowess over the last 6 months (bar one run over the weekend where I was running at a 4:59 mins per Km ). I seem to be stuck on a 5:30 min per km pace.

4 years ago, before a couple of injuries, I could run at 4:40 min per km pace over 10 km easily. I've had two 'serious' injuries hip bursitis and Achilles tendon rupture over the last 4 years (the first stopping me from running for almost 1 year).

Excluding the recent fluke , could this be down to age ? I read somewhere you can expect slow down over 40 , so should i lower my expectations ?
Any suggestions on what to try next? Currently I'm lowering my weight to see if that can help and I don't fancy sprint training , this is what caused my previous injuries. Blood sugar is always stable between 4.5 mmol and 5.5 mmol on these runs so I'm excluding this as a cause.

Any suggestions from experienced runners would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More likely to be recovery from injuries. Like most things you can get along without much training, but to be more proficient ie faster, you need to run more - specificity. I'm struggling at the moment with recovery from shin splints and really backing off the running. Picking up the cycling instead.

No real reason why you should be slower after 40, endurance tails off much slower than speed, hence Jo Pavey. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Could be you are just training too hard for your current running fitness.

Reactions: 4 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
More likely to be recovery from injuries. Like most things you can get along without much training, but to be more proficient ie faster, you need to run more - specificity. I'm struggling at the moment with recovery from shin splints and really backing off the running. Picking up the cycling instead.

No real reason why you should be slower after 40, endurance tails off much slower than speed, hence Jo Pavey. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Could be you are just training too hard for your current running fitness.

Thanks for the reply. I cycle everywhere and it hasn't improved my running prowess whatsoever, other than stamina. I've got a heart rate monitor but I use it sparingly, as it's uncomfortable. The last time I used it I averaged ~ 140 bpms. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, i'm starting to think it may be a an energy thing, if I run a good first one and the next day is significantly slower.

Good luck with the shin splints , I had these in the military and were very painful, but then we did have to run in boots and with lots of weight.

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you do any strength training at the moment?

Just my personal experience, but the evidence in my training log suggests this is a good compliment for running with respect to reducing injury risk and getting a bit quicker. Maybe this is just because I end up reducing mileage to incorporate it, but I like to keep things simple... if it's working, I'll just keep doing it!

When I do weights, I do this instead of speed work. After all, weight training is still a hard session.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you do any strength training at the moment?

Just my personal experience, but the evidence in my training log suggests this is a good compliment for running with respect to reducing injury risk and getting a bit quicker. Maybe this is just because I end up reducing mileage to incorporate it, but I like to keep things simple... if it's working, I'll just keep doing it!

When I do weights, I do this instead of speed work. After all, weight training is still a hard session.

I plan to start strength training when the weather warms up. All my gym equipment is in the garage , which is currently freezing cold.

My weekend runs were encouraging but nothing spectacular, 8 km at a 5:15 mins per km pace and then 10 km at a 5:29 mins per km. The first run of weekend was in snow and high winds and for the second I wrapped up way too warm and the sun came out and I overheated :-(

Do you do full body strength training or concentrate on your legs ?

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I plan to start strength training when the weather warms up. All my gym equipment is in the garage , which is currently freezing cold.

My weekend runs were encouraging but nothing spectacular, 8 km at a 5:15 mins per km pace and then 10 km at a 5:29 mins per km. The first run of weekend was in snow and high winds and for the second I wrapped up way too warm and the sun came out and I overheated :-(

Do you do full body strength training or concentrate on your legs ?

Sounds like good progress, those small, marginal improvements add up to a big one eventually.

I just go full body and do what I have time for during a lunch hour once a week, I do tend to include one leg exercise though. So for example, my most recent session was:
1. 5x5 squats
2. 3x10 hanging knee raises
3. 5x5 overhead press.

In the bigger picture, endurance fitness tends to be my main focus, especially at the moment with a half marathon coming up in a few weeks time.

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds like good progress, those small, marginal improvements add up to a big one eventually.

I just go full body and do what I have time for during a lunch hour once a week, I do tend to include one leg exercise though. So for example, my most recent session was:
1. 5x5 squats
2. 3x10 hanging knee raises
3. 5x5 overhead press.

In the bigger picture, endurance fitness tends to be my main focus, especially at the moment with a half marathon coming up in a few weeks time.

Thanks for info zicksi101 I'll try adding some lower body strength training to my routine. I've heard strong abs can help with running.

What pace do you plan to run the half marathon ?

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're welcome, hope it helps.

Shooting for sub-1:50 i.e. the plan is to pace at 5:10/5:15 min/km pace on average.

Should be achievable off the back of a 48:52 time for 10k, but of course there is the small matter of putting the plan into application. :)

My track record suggests I perform best in the shorter distance races, so I'm expecting the half will be a good challenge.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@EdMac, agree with everything g you said, especially the hills. Problem for me will be volume this year, bone spurs on big toe joints making long distances and lots of running painful. Getting my volume on the bike this year.

Lighter is generally faster, but stronger is also faster, certainly over the shorter distances, so donk ignore the strength work even if just yoga.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm reading all of these posts with interest as I feel I haven't improved at all either. I did the Great South Run in Oct (10 miles) but since them have struggled to run more than 6 miles! I am in my forties too All the tips here are helpful. Thanks. Good luck @Wurst - you are faster than me!!!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm reading all of these posts with interest as I feel I haven't improved at all either. I did the Great South Run in Oct (10 miles) but since them have struggled to run more than 6 miles! I am in my forties too All the tips here are helpful. Thanks. Good luck @Wurst - you are faster than me!!!

Good to hear i'm not alone [USER]@Medusa41[/USER] :)

Last weekend I showed no sign of improvement , a 5:30 pace for both Saturday and Sunday , it was raining quite heavily and was in my 'waterproof' running jacket which has 'boil in the bag' properties.