Herbal Teas

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, I have never been a lover of Herbal Teas in fact I have only tried 1 in my life. Since I was diagnosed a Diabetic at the start of Jan 2016 this year I was told to try them and guess what I have 2 kinds Peppermint Tea good for indigestion. Cammomile Tea so calming and relaxing. Also getting my water intake in them too, might not like at first I am used to them now just keep telling myself they are doing me good. :):)

Reactions: 8 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
And now you have a bigger variety to choose from, loads of green teas out there. Also try lemon squeezed into hot water, its refreshing.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I never liked herbal teas before I was diagnosed, I was strictly a strong 'builders' tea' with milk and two sugars type of guy.
Since becoming T2 I have read that some people think Green Tea helps with weight loss. I usually make it with a herbal teabag infusion and a spoon of sweetener. My favourites are peppermint, and strawberry & raspberry.

Reactions: 2 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a selection of different teas, but many of the fancy ones have licorice in them, which is not good for me in large doses. Hence, I have green tea, peppermint and camomile as well.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Harder to get hold of is lime leaf tea. I find it very nice and relaxing. I also like raspberry.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a fan of herbal teas - bleh. However, I recently started drinking a cup of chamomile tea before bed - to aid sleep. The thing is it seems to have also had a calming effect on my blood sugars!
Been seeing morning readings around 4 - usually I'm around 6 to 7 first thing. I had read that it could lower BG but didn't expect the results I've been seeing.
Would recommend anyone gives it a try.

Reactions: 8 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like chamomile and have trouble with morning numbers, so thanks, I'll definitely try that.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
And now you have a bigger variety to choose from, loads of green teas out there. Also try lemon squeezed into hot water, its refreshing.
Hi Great I will thanks

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
HI just bought some camomile tea will try it now thanks hope it will bring my BG down too will let you know.:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else find teas with Rosehips to raise them? It's the vitamin C I think. ALWAYS spikes me. I do like peppermint and ginger but too much good stuff for the tummy = bad. I tend to drink a lot of seltzer as water bores me and lemon gives me reflux. I'm a mess, haha

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I have had camomile herbal tea before bed and it has brought my morning BG down a little will continue with it from now on.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi. I buy Twinings Lemon and Ginger Herbal Tea Bags - takes away that nauseated feeling and settles your tummy.:)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I bought some camomile tea too @LinsT. Had a mug yesterday, and this morning. I don't know yet whether it makes any difference to my BG levels, but I do like the taste.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi. I buy Twinings Lemon and Ginger Herbal Tea Bags - takes away that nauseated feeling and settles your tummy.:)
Hi liam 1955 I bought some lemon and Ginger herbal tea last week not tried it yet will try if settles tummy problems Thanks:)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My dodgy tummy cannot cope anymore with anything containing caffeine, so I've been some years now drinking lot of herbal stuff..commercial and home grown. There is some commercial blends that taste absolutely vile for me.....camomile in one of them YUUUUK! I like anything with 'red berries' and black currant. I also grow some lemon verbena. Couple of leaves into mug with hot water and you get MUCH stronger lemon flavour than from real lemons...and if you want bit more 'umf'...pop green tea or any other flavoured 'tea' bag in too.
Oh...and fennel tea....that was my 'discovery of year' few years back....I couldn't believe how pleasant the flavour from fennel leaves could be. And what's best..it grows like a week on my allotment, self seeded from neighbours plot :D
Either herb is equally easily grown in pots on back yard....and neither has had any bad effects to my health or diabetic control..just mug full of warm tasty comfort!