Swinging blood sugars :(

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 diabetic for nearly 9 years now and I've always had relatively good control. I'm a animas vibe. Last semester I didn't control it the best that I could have and this semester I'm having a really good crack at it, but my blood sugars have been wild. When I say wild I mean no pattern and I'm thinking of just giving up trying with it.
I haven't changed anything that I can think of, And am so close to giving up !

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it be your pump sites? If you have poor absorption in some areas that can mess up your blood sugar big time.

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure it is because I'm not always high or low I'm literally swinging with no pattern. I've also changed everything in case it was that :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not sure it is because I'm not always high or low I'm literally swinging with no pattern. I've also changed everything in case it was that :(

If your more/less active during your semester and your eating habits are different then this may explain why you struggle to control your bg levels, maybe have a chat with your diabetes team as they will advise you on adjusting your basal rates during your holiday time.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
First of all is your sensor or transmitter faulty? Are you actually following up with finger pokes? Have you gone right back to basics and done some basal testing? No chance you are pregnant is there?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my first thought was -- are you getting readings from your meter that cause you to take actions on the pump which in turn add to the swings --- all because your meter is not accurate.
perhaps have a chat with your DSN and get a new spare meter and strips to double check your BG results

( and forget all above if you have the freestyle libre attached ):rolleyes:

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't actually think that my blood monitor could be faulty ! I don't have cgm unfortunately and yer I'm going to have to go back to basal testing :( but it's just really frustrating as its not going to plan at all and I'm trying really hard !

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @izzyj09
it may not be much comfort but I am sure not only me but many others will feel for you.:(

my DSN has advised me to revisit basal testing about every 4-6 weeks just to be safe so you are not alone there either.:)

try not to worry too much and just take 1 day at a time and celebrate any of the little things that go right :)

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found my basal rates and my ratios change slightly over the year, so it's definitely worth doing a basal test. Once you've got that right, check your ratios for each meal too.

Has your weight changed at all? I find that can also have an effect even if there's not been a huge difference.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I didn't actually think that my blood monitor could be faulty ! I don't have cgm unfortunately and yer I'm going to have to go back to basal testing :( but it's just really frustrating as its not going to plan at all and I'm trying really hard !
Hi Izzy,
Basal testing is unfortunately the only way to go when things go *it's up. Very frustrating but a lot quicker and easier rather than just messing around with a stab in the dark so to speak. We have all been there and worn the Tshirt.