type 2 from steroids had UC now have j pouch

Wooly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I need a diet to lose weight which will lower bs but must avoid loose bowel movement. Please help, the dieticians I have seen appear only to look at one side of my health issues.

What do I eat to lose weight, lower bs and not get loose bowel movements. Help needed

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

Hi @Wooly and welcome to the forum.

This is a complicated one when you are trying to balance the two conditions.

This article contains a list of foods that may be suitable and foods that are best avoided.

http://www.j-pouch.org/pages/diet

I think it would be a good idea to tell us bit about what you have found you can eat and what you must avoid and how you are coping with your diabetes and then hopefully we can help. Sometimes it is difficult to balance two conditions. Are you taking any medication for your diabetes?

Wooly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Yes I am on novamix injections 2 daily. Been diagnosed for 11 years and had internal j pouch for 9 years. I find anything from the onoin groups a no no for the pouch - Veg and fruit in general are ok in small doses, anything with seeds are a no go. I need to lose weight I have gained a lot since the ops and insulin for 2 years, no other diabetic meds work for me. I cope well with both illnesses but the weight loss appears to be evading me

Wooly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just want to add I am not drastically overweight, need to lose a stone. It's just j pouch and sugar levels no longer agree with each other

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am in a similar situation, type 1 with Crohns and a J-pouch. And need to lose a stone! :)
I don't have much to offer other than to up exercise and try to keep blood sugars level so you don't need to snack. I can't eat small seeds (like poppy seeds) either but unless I'm having a flare-up I can cope with seeds big enough to chew, so can often have granary bread. I can also have sweet potatoes and little salad potatoes in their skins which are lower GI than ordinary potatoes.

How well controlled is your IBD? This wouldn't have been possible for me 5 years ago.