IF?

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is IF please? The minute I see the word fasting I automatically think no food and the minute I think no food, I feel hungry.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep thats what it is... no food.. however it is also intermittent so not no food forever..
Some people follow a 16:8 rule. don't eat for 16 hours and compress your meals into an 8 hour window maybe just have lunch and dinner or breakfast and lunch. Personally I do something more like a 40:8 three days a week i.e. have nothing say from dinner on Sunday until lunch on Tuesday. I drink lots of tea with soy milk or coffee with soy and double cream and water but don't eat any solids. I have seen my lowest blood sugar readings on these days. If you get in the right mindset I find it quite easy. The idea is it gives the body a rest from the production line of digesting food. I'm sure there are others here with a better definition but thats my 2 penn'orth
Regards
Mark

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the explanation. I thought that there would be days that you go without solid food altogether and I take medications that have to be taken before/after food.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I do IF, Intermittent Fasting.

Basically you don't eat for a period of the day, then eat for six hours, then stop again until the next day. For example, I have my last meal at 9pm. I get up next morning and don't eat till 3pm in the afternoon. Then have three meals at three hours between. Then my last at 9pm until breakfast the next morning.
There are variations, and it really doesn't matter which.
Of course, you have to drink more water and not do something over the top exercise wise or while your working.

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was petrified thinking about fasting, but I gave it a try, and found it surprisingly easy.

Reactions: 5 people

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, I'll have to work out what hours would be suitable and give it a try.

Is soup or cup-a-soup classed as solid food when following IF? I ask because when I've been hospitalised with UC they don't class it as such, or ice-cream (which is a no-no I know).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all, I'll have to work out what hours would be suitable and give it a try.

Is soup or cup-a-soup classed as solid food when following IF? I ask because when I've been hospitalised with UC they don't class it as such, or ice-cream (which is a no-no I know).

Food is food! Soup is food!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I fast too. On my fasting days I will always eat dinner but won't eat other meals or snacks. It was a challenge at the beginning but gets easier as you get accustomed to it. It doesn't take long to realise that hunger isn't a constant state, it comes in random waves and can be pushed away by having a glass of water or hot drink.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

Can I just mention something? Please, please avoid cup a soups! I did the same thing when I was starting out, thought they would be a good lunch idea - until I fell asleep afterwards! I checked my bg's and they were through the roof, checked the label and saw they were very high carb indeed. Unfortunately, tinned soups can also be pretty high in carbs, if possible, maybe make your own? I make what is known as "scrap" soup in this household - basically a mix of sorry looking veg from the bottom of the fridge, with any left over cooked meat chucked in. It is always a winner!

Sorry for derailing a bit:)

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can I just mention something? Please, please avoid cup a soups! I did the same thing when I was starting out, thought they would be a good lunch idea - until I fell asleep afterwards! I checked my bg's and they were through the roof, checked the label and saw they were very high carb indeed. Unfortunately, tinned soups can also be pretty high in carbs, if possible, maybe make your own? I make what is known as "scrap" soup in this household - basically a mix of sorry looking veg from the bottom of the fridge, with any left over cooked meat chucked in. It is always a winner!

Sorry for derailing a bit:)

I should have posted that myself!
Tinned, packaged, even fresh soup from the supermarket, is so wrong for me.
Too many carbs and sugars. I too get the wife to make ours, homemade, then you know what's in it. And it's all natural, not massed produced!

Reactions: 6 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I should have posted that myself!
Tinned, packaged, even fresh soup from the supermarket, is so wrong for me.
Too many carbs and sugars. I too get the wife to make ours, homemade, then you know what's in it. And it's all natural, not massed produced!

Or, you could make it yourself Nosher!:p;)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is IF please? The minute I see the word fasting I automatically think no food and the minute I think no food, I feel hungry.
You probably are fasting anyway overnight - how long for depending on when you eat your evening meal or supper and what time you break fast :D in the morning.

I've tried a bit of fasting on a fairly irregular basis: sometimes if my body says OK not hungry I can go a whole 24 hours, other times I manage up to 12 or 18 hours according to when/if it says it thinks it needs something to eat soon, and other days I'll eat regularly. Also if I feel hungry, tired, cold, or slightly "off" in any way, I'll have a creamy drink or eat something.

It's certainly helped with glucose levels and I'm not normally seeing a first-thing-in-the-morning-liver-dump now. I'm not sure that I'm seeing any significant weight loss yet but I've definitely lost a bit more :eek:saggy belly:eek: fat though.

Robbity