parent of newly diagnosed type 1

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I mentioned, there are devices that can help to monitor your son's glucose levels and provide you with readings every 5 minutes and provide you with alerts when his levels go above/below a specific level.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Because of certain reasons I can't avail the facility!!!!

So,any other suggestion?? How I can I know the hypo symptoms???

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because of certain reasons I can't avail the facility!!!!

So,any other suggestion?? How I can I know the hypo symptoms???

Hypo symptoms can vary person to,person. Here are some I get:

Blobs in front of my eyes
Shakiness
Weakness
Sweating
Clumsiness
Brain working slowly
Tingling lips
Tiredness

If you can't get a continuous glucose meter, the best thing to do is try to make sure your son has as few hypos at night as possible. You can do this by speaking to his doctor about adjusting his insulin.

Can you get an insulin pump? They allow you to fine tune insulin more precisely.

Many parents set alarms to get up and test their children's blood sugar during the night. That's not a perfect answer but it's easy and will give you some peace of mind. Hopefully, your son will learn to recognise his hypos gradually.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks,I'll definitely try to read the book. I want to ask a question as my son is recently diagnosed I don't have much experience, what r the symptoms of hypo during sleep,I mean we cant constantly check the bs levels,then how can I know that my kid's bs levels r going down while he is sleeping?????
The Freestyle Libre can do this job, but it's not yet available for children. May be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they can update you on when it will be available for children. Its a sensor worn on the arm, you can scan this sensor with a meter to give you a reading. This could be done whilst somebody was asleep. Alternatively an insulin pump. b.t.w. There will soon be a closed loop insulin pump out. This delivers insulin, glucose and runs itself. Amazing! Like a mechanical pancreas.

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone ,my son is five years old and diagnosed type 1 a week ago.no family history of diabetes so I know very little.but I m trying my best to survive.i need guidance and help for coping this disaster.anyone interested in helping a helpless mother?????
I am a type 1 diabetic and have had it for many years. You've come to right place for help. When I was younger me and my family use to be part of the JDRF and that was a brilliant group to talk to other diabetics and other mothers. It really helped my parents. Hope that helps xxxxxx

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Freestyle Libre can do this job, but it's not yet available for children. May be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they can update you on when it will be available for children. Its a sensor worn on the arm, you can scan this sensor with a meter to give you a reading. This could be done whilst somebody was asleep. Alternatively an insulin pump. b.t.w. There will soon be a closed loop insulin pump out. This delivers insulin, glucose and runs itself. Amazing! Like a mechanical pancreas.
I'm sure I have read that the freestyle libre is now available for children. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure my wife had something posted on her facebook page

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you are getting on a little bit better with your son. I have found it is a day by day process, you cannot predict the next reading of levels. My son is 3 now being raised a bilingual child (we live in Spain) but he still doesn't talk yet, with this we had to find out his symptoms. We have had experiences of my son actually going down to 42 while playing and him not having any symptoms. The more and more time you spend with your son hopefully he will help you out with hypo symptoms. At night times what testing times do you do? We do between 12am - 12.30am and 3.30am.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tha
I am a type 1 diabetic and have had it for many years. You've come to right place for help. When I was younger me and my family use to be part of the JDRF and that was a brilliant group to talk to other diabetics and other mothers. It really helped my parents. Hope that helps xxxxxx
Thanks dear!!!
This support means alot to me. This forum helps me alot in understanding this disease and helped me in surviving many tough and rough situations. Infact, there r many things which I asked here freely instead of my doctor. All of u r very very supportive and helpful.
May god bless u and ur families

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope you are getting on a little bit better with your son. I have found it is a day by day process, you cannot predict the next reading of levels. My son is 3 now being raised a bilingual child (we live in Spain) but he still doesn't talk yet, with this we had to find out his symptoms. We have had experiences of my son actually going down to 42 while playing and him not having any symptoms. The more and more time you spend with your son hopefully he will help you out with hypo symptoms. At night times what testing times do you do? We do between 12am - 12.30am and 3.30am.
Thanks for reply. Yes,I m doing better now with my son
In this situation experience is the key to success.....
Now,I have searched about libre freestyle,it is available in few European countries and I m south Asian resident,so I have to wait for this facility... In the meanwhile,I keep trying to do whatever is possible for my son's health. The most heart breaking part for me is that he is so innocent,he don't know what happened with him and why we pricked his tiny fingers several time in a day....
I just hate diabetes but I will definitely don't let it destroy my son's life.
Thank u again for guiding and supporting a mother.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for reply. Yes,I m doing better now with my son
In this situation experience is the key to success.....
Now,I have searched about libre freestyle,it is available in few European countries and I m south Asian resident,so I have to wait for this facility... In the meanwhile,I keep trying to do whatever is possible for my son's health. The most heart breaking part for me is that he is so innocent,he don't know what happened with him and why we pricked his tiny fingers several time in a day....
I just hate diabetes but I will definitely don't let it destroy my son's life.
Thank u again for guiding and supporting a mother.

I often check his bg levels between 3am to 4am.