Type 1 new diagnosis

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

This past Friday I was newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after being admitted to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis.

I'm 21 and, until this, have always been healthy. Understandably, I'm pretty overwhelmed and I'm worried about how this will affect my day to day life going forwards. Obviously the diabetic clinic nurses are all saying that I can continue living my life just the way I am now, going to work, meals out with my partner etc but I wanted to speak to someone who actually is Type 1 diabetic and see what changes they have had to make in their life and how their condition has affected them.

I'm particularly interested in how - if at all- your diabetes has affected work, pregnancy, sex life and how people treat you (socially, professionally etc). And how having diabetes has changed your life, for the better or worse.

I don't know what questions I should be asking the diabetic clinic.

Any advice is welcomed!

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Robynoksana. Hello and Welcome to the Forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all newbies receive. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @Robynoksana
welcome to the forum :)

Your topic pretty much is a question on just about everything :D

with all the advances made in recent years in medicines there should be no deterioration in your lifestyle - just an extra layer of thought surrounding your lifestyle.

my immediate advice is to try not to worry , take things 1 day at a time , use all your diabetic care team ( they get paid to look after you ) and keep posting here- :)

there are many many topics on the forum dealing with the types of questions you raise.
it is worth having a read around the forum and that should provide some reassurance that life can go on and you can enjoy it.

Reactions: 3 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

diabetes these days can be treat well so long as the person with it puts their effort into it aswell as the Diabetic team who look after them, try not to worry though as you are still young and will learn alot about the confition here

Reactions: 2 people

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks! I'll have a read - it's all just a bit overwhelming trying to take in all the information at once I think. I guess it's just things I'll learn in time!
Hi there @Robynoksana
welcome to the forum :)

Your topic pretty much is a question on just about everything :D

with all the advances made in recent years in medicines there should be no deterioration in your lifestyle - just an extra layer of thought surrounding your lifestyle.

my immediate advice is to try not to worry , take things 1 day at a time , use all your diabetic care team ( they get paid to look after you ) and keep posting here- :)

there are many many topics on the forum dealing with the types of questions you raise.
it is worth having a read around the forum and that should provide some reassurance that life can go on and you can enjoy it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been feeling a bit bad since i wrote that answer --- I am sure you are feeling COMPLETELY overwhelmed and I did not answer any specifics. It is just that there are many ( most) people that do very well after diagnosis and make the needed adjustments to have a so called "normal" life.

there are some that do struggle quite a bit and hopefully we are able to help those people to refresh their views on this illness and the steps they can take to improve how they feel.
Unfortunately it is such a wide spectrum that giving a blanket answer does not address your query.

in my experience I have been blessed with many great things in my life despite my diagnosis 43 years ago.
I would not change my life as I have the vast majority of the important things.
( happiness being the first )

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Robynoksana

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Robynoksana Hi I was also sent to hospital on Friday and diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. It sounds like we've got a lot to learn! I have a good nurse that has been very informative! I hope you have the same...it's scary being sent to emergency but I've decided it is what it is and I've got to get on with it...I've got too busy a life not too! Best wishes to you Maggie

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

This past Friday I was newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after being admitted to hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis.

I'm 21 and, until this, have always been healthy. Understandably, I'm pretty overwhelmed and I'm worried about how this will affect my day to day life going forwards. Obviously the diabetic clinic nurses are all saying that I can continue living my life just the way I am now, going to work, meals out with my partner etc but I wanted to speak to someone who actually is Type 1 diabetic and see what changes they have had to make in their life and how their condition has affected them.

I'm particularly interested in how - if at all- your diabetes has affected work, pregnancy, sex life and how people treat you (socially, professionally etc). And how having diabetes has changed your life, for the better or worse.

I don't know what questions I should be asking the diabetic clinic.

Any advice is welcomed!

Hi @Robynoksana. Welcome to the forum.

These are very difficult questions to answer...mostly because everyone deals with things differently. It really is a case of taking each day as it comes and learning 'on the job' so to speak.

Diabetes shouldn't stop you from living a 'normal' life...you can still do all the same things as everyone else in terms of work and relationships. Work wise...depending on your chosen career path there can be a few restrictions...but it very much depends on what you do...or want to do. Eating out can sometimes be a bit of a headache...but with the right tools and experience these things become easier in time. A great book/app to get is 'Carbs and Cals'...this will become your best friend...along with your meter...testing regularly will help you to recognise how different foods affect you so that you can act accordingly next time.

Unfortunately...there is a huge lack of knowledge regarding diabetes...mostly caused by the media...so you will undoubtedly come up against some strange attitudes or people with little or no knowledge telling you that you can't do this...should do that etc...which is why it's so important to educate yourself...a book I would recommend is 'Think like a Pancreas' by Gary Scheiner. This forum is also great for this...I've been diabetic for 16 years now but I still learn something new every day from this site...the information from others living with this condition can offer is invaluable and has helped me personally to turn my diabetes around in the last year or so. Keep asking questions...we are here to support one another.

Perhaps the most important thing to ask your health team about is about Carb Counting. The NHS offer a course called DAFNE - Dose Adjustment for Normal eating which will give you a lot more control over the way that you choose to eat.

For me personally...I don't think Diabetes is the worst thing to ever happen to me...it is what it is...sure it's not always easy...there are good days and bad days...but for the most part...with a little forward planning there is nothing I can't do...just like anyone else.

Keep positive...it will get easier. :)

Reactions: 4 people

xsarndwich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I empathise Robynoksana and Maggie.

I was diagnosed Type 1, 10 days ago. So much to learn and overwhelming huh?!

However, for me (well this is the spin I'm putting on it) it's a positive wake-up call. One which signals to live more healthily - and even vibrantly potentially. I know it sounds weird but I feel somehow better since beginning treatment - food+exercise+insulin. Maybe it's the honeymoon period ;o).

Also, I think you have to respect the 'condition' but also to find humour in it - or t least your own angle; I now think of my pancreas as a pouting prima donna. It helps. Well, it helps me anyways. I'm refusing to allow diabetes to be central to my life. It's a new set of skills and lifestyle rather than an identity.

One of the things I've found helps is telling people about it, what you need to do, how you feel. I've be amazed how people react in such positive ways. It would be easy to feel self conscious about it. It's inevitable and I admit I've been feeling brittle the last week. Peaks and troughs I guess. However, one thing I've been determined to do is not hide it (testing blood glucose, injecting insulin - not in my rump of course ;o) in cafes, restaurants... in front of friends.

A bit of a rant I know and very subjective but maybe some of my rambling will resonate with you guys.

Hope you're both getting good support from Healthcare services and wishing you all the best from another newbie.

C

Reactions: 6 people

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1

However, for me (well this is the spin I'm putting on it) it's a positive wake-up call. One which signals to live more healthily - and even vibrantly potentially. I know it sounds weird but I feel somehow better since beginning treatment - food+exercise+insulin. Maybe it's the honeymoon period ;o).

Also, I think you have to respect the 'condition' but also to find humour in it - or t least your own angle; I now think of my pancreas as a pouting prima donna. It helps. Well, it helps me anyways. I'm refusing to allow diabetes to be central to my life. It's a new set of skills and lifestyle rather than an identity.

One of the things I've found helps is telling people about it, what you need to do, how you feel. I've be amazed how people react in such positive ways. It would be easy to feel self conscious about it. It's inevitable and I admit I've been feeling brittle the last week. Peaks and troughs I guess. However, one thing I've been determined to do is not hide it (testing blood glucose, injecting insulin - not in my rump of course ;o) in cafes, restaurants... in front of friends.

A bit of a rant I know and very subjective but maybe some of my rambling will resonate with you guys.

Hope you're both getting good support from Healthcare services and wishing you all the best from another newbie.

C

C

Honestly, thank you so much! Your post made me laugh and took a little of the daunting feeling away!

It is so much to take in all at once but I just came out of my first appointment with the dietitian and my diabetic nurse and I'm feeling slightly more positive. My partner and I are hopefully going out for a meal this weekend and I think once that's done, I'll be a bit more confident in my social life.

I have been told not to return to work until my blood glucose has stabilised which is a bit of a concern as I don't know how long this will take and, whilst my employer is being super supportive, there is only so much absence they can allow before it affects my clients and colleagues (I am a file handler in a law firm so every day I'm off, my clients files aren't really being dealt with).

I've worked through a lot of emotions in the past week and I've done the whole "why me" thing, but my partner is being amazing and keeps reminding me that I'm not sick, I just have a condition, and that's helping.

I guess it doesn't help that I am mortally afraid of needles and doctors Haha but it's something I'll have to get used to cause I'm going to be seeing a lot of both!

I hope you stay positive - you sound pretty tough and hopefully I'll be able to emulate some of that and not let the negatives get the best of me xx

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tha
Hi @Robynoksana. Welcome to the forum.

These are very difficult questions to answer...mostly because everyone deals with things differently. It really is a case of taking each day as it comes and learning 'on the job' so to speak.

Diabetes shouldn't stop you from living a 'normal' life...you can still do all the same things as everyone else in terms of work and relationships. Work wise...depending on your chosen career path there can be a few restrictions...but it very much depends on what you do...or want to do. Eating out can sometimes be a bit of a headache...but with the right tools and experience these things become easier in time. A great book/app to get is 'Carbs and Cals'...this will become your best friend...along with your meter...testing regularly will help you to recognise how different foods affect you so that you can act accordingly next time.

Unfortunately...there is a huge lack of knowledge regarding diabetes...mostly caused by the media...so you will undoubtedly come up against some strange attitudes or people with little or no knowledge telling you that you can't do this...should do that etc...which is why it's so important to educate yourself...a book I would recommend is 'Think like a Pancreas' by Gary Scheiner. This forum is also great for this...I've been diabetic for 16 years now but I still learn something new every day from this site...the information from others living with this condition can offer is invaluable and has helped me personally to turn my diabetes around in the last year or so. Keep asking questions...we are here to support one another.

Perhaps the most important thing to ask your health team about is about Carb Counting. The NHS offer a course called DAFNE - Dose Adjustment for Normal eating which will give you a lot more control over the way that you choose to eat.

For me personally...I don't think Diabetes is the worst thing to ever happen to me...it is what it is...sure it's not always easy...there are good days and bad days...but for the most part...with a little forward planning there is nothing I can't do...just like anyone else.

Keep positive...it will get easier. :)

Thanks Natalie!

Funnily enough I've just left the clinic after my first appointment with the health care team and they've also told me to buy Carbs and Cals! Going to order it off amazon ASAP!

Whilst I was in hospital, the nurses were serving me potatoes with EVERY meal (jacket, mashed, you name it!) so I've been replicating that diet since coming home. Apparently that's not good!
Another little thing I've learned in the past week which I can now apply to my diet going forward.

I'm learning, little by little, and I think in time I'll be able to do all of the things I want to. The dietician has said its best to not go to the gym until my blood glucose is consists try 10 or below (I'm averaging on 16/17mmol at the moment) and to stay off work for a week or so until I'm stable and used to the idea of having diabetes but after that I'm hoping to just go back to usual, perhaps with some positive changes in my diet and routine!

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah needles are teeny tiny these days and you dont even need to sharpen them on a house brick any more :). Diabetes is like an annoying companion but you can still do anything in life that you want to.

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Robynoksana Hi I was also sent to hospital on Friday and diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. It sounds like we've got a lot to learn! I have a good nurse that has been very informative! I hope you have the same...it's scary being sent to emergency but I've decided it is what it is and I've got to get on with it...I've got too busy a life not too! Best wishes to you Maggie

It's a shock to the system, huh Maggie!? But thankfully I also have a lovely nurse who's on call all the time by email if I have questions so that's put me at ease a bit!

Hopefully, we'll pick up everything we need to know quickly and adapt where necessary for a healthy, positive life!

I hope you're okay and feel free to reach out if your feeling down about anything!

xsarndwich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, thank you so much! Your post made me laugh and took a little of the daunting feeling away!

It is so much to take in all at once but I just came out of my first appointment with the dietitian and my diabetic nurse and I'm feeling slightly more positive. My partner and I are hopefully going out for a meal this weekend and I think once that's done, I'll be a bit more confident in my social life.

I have been told not to return to work until my blood glucose has stabilised which is a bit of a concern as I don't know how long this will take and, whilst my employer is being super supportive, there is only so much absence they can allow before it affects my clients and colleagues (I am a file handler in a law firm so every day I'm off, my clients files aren't really being dealt with).

I've worked through a lot of emotions in the past week and I've done the whole "why me" thing, but my partner is being amazing and keeps reminding me that I'm not sick, I just have a condition, and that's helping.

I guess it doesn't help that I am mortally afraid of needles and doctors Haha but it's something I'll have to get used to cause I'm going to be seeing a lot of both!

I hope you stay positive - you sound pretty tough and hopefully I'll be able to emulate some of that and not let the negatives get the best of me xx

You're welcome! ;)

Sounds like you have some great support there. And your employers I hope will be supportive - they should. It's not Bubonic Plague! You take the time you need to feel confident.

Yes. The needle thing. It's kind of out there huh. Good luck with it - you'll get your head round it. I've started to treat testing and injecting as a kind of game (admittedly not the kind of game I ever desired to play). Again, it kind of helps.

I actually said to my diabetic nurse that I was kind of enjoying it. She looked concerned rather than amused haha.

Good luck!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tha

Thanks Natalie!

Funnily enough I've just left the clinic after my first appointment with the health care team and they've also told me to buy Carbs and Cals! Going to order it off amazon ASAP!

Whilst I was in hospital, the nurses were serving me potatoes with EVERY meal (jacket, mashed, you name it!) so I've been replicating that diet since coming home. Apparently that's not good!
Another little thing I've learned in the past week which I can now apply to my diet going forward.

I'm learning, little by little, and I think in time I'll be able to do all of the things I want to. The dietician has said its best to not go to the gym until my blood glucose is consists try 10 or below (I'm averaging on 16/17mmol at the moment) and to stay off work for a week or so until I'm stable and used to the idea of having diabetes but after that I'm hoping to just go back to usual, perhaps with some positive changes in my diet and routine!

Hi @Robynoksana

Glad to hear you're sounding more positive. It takes time for things to settle down after diagnosis...there's a lot to get your head around...but you'll get there..give yourself all the time that you need before rushing back to work...but use the time wisely and do some reading...just don't allow yourself to become too overwhelmed by it all.

Potatoes aren't so good no...but for the moment you may find that you need to include them in your diet. They've probably started you on set doses...based on details of your typical diet so to remove or reduce carbs at this stage will likely cause you to hypo. Once you have a reasonable knowledge of carb counting you will able to discuss with your nurse how to adjust your insulin according to what you're eating. Did you ask about the DAFNE course?

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Natalie

Yes, she did mention sending me on DAFNE but unsure as to when. I'll ask her again when I go back next Friday! I went out for my meal with my partner today and managed to take my insulin without feeling to shifty about it haha

I think my biggest gripe with the condition is I'm a huuuuge control freak so the fact that I'm now dependant on something, even as silly as 5 daily injections, really gets to me. But again I think that's something I'll learn to deal with in time and the healthcare team and this forum is helping massively in the meantime x