Sick of yogurt

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else find they really get fed up with eating a particular food all the time. I have been eating plain greek yogurt for a couple of years and I am really sick of it now and have not had any for about 2 weeks and really don't have any desire to ever have it again. I usually had it with some frozen berries or fresh blueberries sometimes sprinkled with cinnamon, seeds or raw organic cocoa powder. Before prediabetes and now T2 I really loved yogurt and when I used to eat normal fruit yogurts I could try different ones and vary the flavours I had eaten it for years and never got tired of it. I am beginning to find it with other foods as well as I am getting a bit fed up with eggs now I have eaten so many and even salad which was almost a staple for me. Does anyone here feel the same about some foods that you eat a lot of do you start to go off them.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its normal to get fed up if you ate same foods day in day out, same applies to diabetics and non-diabetics. Have you had a look at the diet forums? There are lots of different ideas on there. If you eat meat and fish you could try a different type each week, gives you more variety, or a new vegetable each week?

If you are on low-carb then there are loads of ideas on that forum, and different websites for new recipes too such as http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I never eat anything ending in berry again it will be too soon! I loved my fruit before diagnosis and it's the only thing I crave - I hate the fruit isle in the supermarkets - have to close my eyes lol but berries now are a bit beugh to me

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly how I feel I loved fruit all kinds and miss that the most. I didn't think I would ever get fed up with berries though but you can have to much of a good thing.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The only fruit I really mss are bananas and strawberries. I can't say I've ever been a big yoghurt fan. I generally use it in making low carb dips or other cooking, rarely as a breakfast or dessert.

I am definitely bored with full English breakfasts at the moment. It's the only dish that all the local pubs do that I can eat and I eat out locally at least once a week with my job, sometimes a lot more. Ugh!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its normal to get fed up if you ate same foods day in day out, same applies to diabetics and non-diabetics. Have you had a look at the diet forums? There are lots of different ideas on there. If you eat meat and fish you could try a different type each week, gives you more variety, or a new vegetable each week?

If you are on low-carb then there are loads of ideas on that forum, and different websites for new recipes too such as http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com

I only eat chicken and turkey I don't like red meat or anything fatty so no bacon or sausages but I will eat venison occasionally because it is virtually fat free. I do have different types of fish but when it came to variety then vegetables were my thing I loved them all including greens nothing like a plate of assorted vegetables with lashings of gravy

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only fruit I really mss are bananas and strawberries. I can't say I've ever been a big yoghurt fan. I generally use it in making low carb dips or other cooking, rarely as a breakfast or dessert.

I am definitely bored with full English breakfasts at the moment. It's the only dish that all the local pubs do that I can eat and I eat out locally at least once a week with my job, sometimes a lot more. Ugh!
I am glad I am not the only one getting bored with some foods thought it was just me even ones I used to love that I can still eat now don't hold much appeal anymore because I have just eaten so much of them

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am glad I am not the only one getting bored with some foods thought it was just me even ones I used to love that I can still eat now don't hold much appeal anymore because I have just eaten so much of them
I've found myself walking round different supermarkets desperate for new ideas to regenerate my interest in foods. The best so far has been Lidl with their unusual meats (kangaroo, wild boar, ostritch, etc). Sadly the interest dissipates quite quickly as once you've tried them you quickly realise they don't really taste that much different from more mundane meats. :(

While tapping this out (one finger on a Kindle) I've just had a fancy for some good kippers, maybe with a poached egg on top, so I'm off to have a rummage through the freezers.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also feel Fed up of the food that I used to enjoy I hate wasting food but I have thrown away a couple of lettuce that had gone off because I don't want to eat lettuce EVER AGAIN and I threw my cauliflower cheese last week I just couldn't face it I am under weight and. I really need to eat well and I usually enjoy my food SO I have a theory When winter has gone and the sun is shining we will all feel much better ,food will taste better There will be fresh raspberries in the garden ( whizz a few with full fat yoghurt and freeze ).Roll on summer!!!
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure there are more people like us here who do struggle sometimes with some of the foods they eat now and they get fed up with it. I am amazed at the way my taste has changed I don't really find food very enjoyable any more.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love food and eat a wide variety of vegetables, meat, fish & seafood, nuts & seeds, and even dairy. Even so, I occasionally go through phases of eating the same thing often, then going off it for a while - but those phases are temporary.

For example, I too haven't eaten any Greek yogurt recently (except stirred into sauces), but that's because I don't feel like eating a cold fluid in the wintertime. I'm sure I'll develop the appetite for it once again, maybe with a few berries and flaked almonds, as soon as the weather warms up...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure there are more people like us here who do struggle sometimes with some of the foods they eat now and they get fed up with it. I am amazed at the way my taste has changed I don't really find food very enjoyable any more.
That's how I was as a child and teenager. I never enjoyed food, it was just fuel. I was glad when mealtimes were over.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I loved food up until recently but now for me as you said it is just fuel. I don't know if Metformin changes your taste buds because it seems to me it is only since I started to take it things I liked just don't taste the same anymore or if it is just that I am fed up with them

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still eat and enjoy a lot of what I used to pre diagnosis, and try to vary things, so all I actually get fed up with is my husband (who cooks our main meal) feeding me asparagus or green beans several days in a row, when I could be having a different low carb vegetable every day. Mind you I have a much better variety now as he just tended to buy mushrooms, red peppers, courgettes and frozen peas with rare forays into cauliflower, carrots, or broccoli...

The only fruit I really mss are bananas and strawberries.
Chook, why no strawberries? They're pretty low carb, and so are a very essential part of my 75-100g weight daily fruit selection.

Robbity

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I have gone from a reading of 19.3 to 5.3 today in 5 weeks and I have fruit every day plums / raspberries / strawberries / the odd banana / kiwi fruit / and pears. I know a lot of people on here do not or can not tolerate fruit, obviously in moderation of course. Just a thought I wanted to share with you all.:):)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I still eat and enjoy a lot of what I used to pre diagnosis, and try to vary things, so all I actually get fed up with is my husband (who cooks our main meal) feeding me asparagus or green beans several days in a row, when I could be having a different low carb vegetable every day. Mind you I have a much better variety now as he just tended to buy mushrooms, red peppers, courgettes and frozen peas with rare forays into cauliflower, carrots, or broccoli...

Chook, why no strawberries? They're pretty low carb, and so are a very essential part of my 75-100g weight daily fruit selection.

Robbity

They spike my BG and also make me feel a bit nauseous. I used to eat loads and really miss them.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They spike my BG and also make me feel a bit nauseous. I used to eat loads and really miss them.
I'm sorry - that's tough so have a sympathetic cyber hug. I know how it must feel as I have to avoid some things I could enjoy except that they give me migraines.

Robbity