Well being diabetic gets tedious....

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again I've gone on here, got answers and must say a big thank you - diabetes is boring and can put you in an angry and lonely place ( wanted to shout at a colleague today for moaning about her health - she had a bloody cold ). So it's at times when it's all getting a bit much I come on here and it always cheers me up. This is less scary than Googling 'sore feet type 1 diabetic' as it's always supportive. We don't need reminding of the bad stuff, we need affirmation that it's tough and we can only try our best to juggle it with life, work, families and emotions. My feet are sore, I've got neuropathy, my eyes are a bit dodgy, I've got Dupytrens in both hands and a frozen shoulder, oh and epilepsy. We've gotta laugh comrades ! I'm phobic about sitting in a support group in case I get singled out ( Wicker Man ) for having occasional lapses in control ( sugar and mental health ) and told off. After 40 years I at least expected a medal. Have a good night and I'm treating myself to a Tunnock's wafer because I'm worth it x

Reactions: 17 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again I've gone on here, got answers and must say a big thank you - diabetes is boring and can put you in an angry and lonely place ( wanted to shout at a colleague today for moaning about her health - she had a bloody cold ). So it's at times when it's all getting a bit much I come on here and it always cheers me up. This is less scary than Googling 'sore feet type 1 diabetic' as it's always supportive. We don't need reminding of the bad stuff, we need affirmation that it's tough and we can only try our best to juggle it with life, work, families and emotions. My feet are sore, I've got neuropathy, my eyes are a bit dodgy, I've got Dupytrens in both hands and a frozen shoulder, oh and epilepsy. We've gotta laugh comrades ! I'm phobic about sitting in a support group in case I get singled out ( Wicker Man ) for having occasional lapses in control ( sugar and mental health ) and told off. After 40 years I at least expected a medal. Have a good night and I'm treating myself to a Tunnock's wafer because I'm worth it x
I gave you a medal Hun x:)

Reactions: 7 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Really nice post ,allthe best to you

Reactions: 3 people

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well,lovely people, when I said medal I meant pancreas, but I'm guessing I'm on the wrong forum? Maybe someone on Pintrest could make me one? Anyway am rambling ( time to do a test, am I being silly or just hypo? Always a nasty dilemma eh? ) Thank you for the likes and comments, obviously if these could be put into the consultant's script I'd come out feeling fabulous. Good luck to YOU ALL and I'm waiting for more posts that fit my hypochondria, just to give the doctor a rest xxxxx

Reactions: 8 people

Simon_Soanes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi , I've reached 42 years with diabetes and I am a pretty battered old boy . In the last two years I have had a triple heart bypass and a below knee amputation along with all the other things that come with long term diabetes . I have to say that a good sense of humour and positive attitude have kept my head above water , just . It is a very lonely disease only you can help yourself but it's good to talk .

Reactions: 7 people

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How right you are Simon. I've already recommended this site to someone at work who's struggling for definitive answers and time off work for all these appointments one of my HR managers once said ' well how bad a diabetic are you? My reply 'I can be as bad as you like.' X

Reactions: 9 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving

T1 & Epileptic here too! High five sister! :D

I can totally get where you're coming from! I have probably had 3 days off sick from my job - two were down to hypos, and the other was because after I went for a head scan before my epilepsy diagnosis, the stress brought on a fit & I keeled over outside Preston Royal Infirmary! :banghead:
So yes, when I get colleagues moaning about colds/sniffles - and taking time off work for such - I go a bit bat **** at them too! Although I've been very good lately, according to my friends, I now just get an angry looking eye twitch when people start whinging! :joyful::joyful:

Reactions: 10 people

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Angry eye twitch ! Love it ! Funny how the epilepsy thing comes up. Do you think there's a link? I've only had tonic clonic fits in the night, so they were misdiagnosed for 36 years as nocturnal hypos! I can laugh now......then after a bit I started with the myoclonic jerks in the morning ( wasn't safe with a cup of tea ) so my husband ( luckily a learning disability nurse so knows a bit about epilepsy) suddenly said ' I've just tested you after that hypo and you're not low, I think you might be epileptic.' So that was that. Stress, alcohol and lack of sleep brought on mine, what about you? I'm on Epilim now and am so bloody glad ( despite piling weight on). I was on another but it made me weirdly down. God this is such a good site. It's good to talk. By the way, virtually grew up in Preston as had relis on Black Bull Lane. I'm from Southport but am in Halifax now good luck and it was nice to hear from you xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read the 'medal' link and it's a real boost. Thank you and I'll aim for that ! #beenfeelingfedup

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Angry eye twitch ! Love it ! Funny how the epilepsy thing comes up. Do you think there's a link? I've only had tonic clonic fits in the night, so they were misdiagnosed for 36 years as nocturnal hypos! I can laugh now......then after a bit I started with the myoclonic jerks in the morning ( wasn't safe with a cup of tea ) so my husband ( luckily a learning disability nurse so knows a bit about epilepsy) suddenly said ' I've just tested you after that hypo and you're not low, I think you might be epileptic.' So that was that. Stress, alcohol and lack of sleep brought on mine, what about you? I'm on Epilim now and am so bloody glad ( despite piling weight on). I was on another but it made me weirdly down. God this is such a good site. It's good to talk. By the way, virtually grew up in Preston as had relis on Black Bull Lane. I'm from Southport but am in Halifax now good luck and it was nice to hear from you xxxx

I can't believe this! I'm tonic-clonic too and I had it misdiagnosed as hypos for 14 years!! :eek: Mine actually started as Myoclonic, which is why my mum didn't pick up on it when I was a child (funny you should mention the cup of tea - when I was about 14 or 15, I'd woken up with a "hypo", carried a glass of lucozade into the living room & bam! Massive arm jerk. There was an orange spatter on the lounge ceiling for about a year after that, until my mum redecorated! It was only a few years later, when I was later in my teenage years that we started to think something was wrong. We complained to the GP/hospital, but were told they were hypos (despite the fact I'd almost bitten my tongue off on numerous occasions! :banghead:
Ok, this is getting creepy now! My seizures are brought on by stress/poor sleep too! Not alcohol though (which makes me very happy!)
I was in a really stressful job before I moved to my current employer, and after the last seizure I had before I was referred to my neurologist, after a particularly bad morning, I thought I was having a hypo, so grabbed a bottle of lucozade off the shop floor & got carried into the back by a colleague (again the myoclonic jerks hit!). Sat down, tried to drink my lucozade, then I remember nothing. I bit my tongue so hard my colleagues panicked - thinking I had blood coming up from my stomach! It was like something out of a horror movie, apparently. Obviously I have no recollection! Then I had to have my MRI & EEG on the same day. Sadly, the MRi was first. Being claustrophic meant I completely freaked out, after my EEG I felt the myoclonic symptoms coming on, then before I knew it, I'd hit the deck right outside the A&E department (hey, points for location right?!) where thankfully, there were half a dozen paramedics stood outside!

My neurologist put my on levitiracetam to begin with, but I had some really bad side effect - it started killing off my white blood cells & preventing me from making any more! So I've been switched on to lamotrigine which is fab. Been seizure free for 17 months now! :D:D:D

Haha really? I'm actually from Morecambe, but had to go to Preston because they don't do EEG scans at my local hospital. I used to work in Garstang many years ago too! :)

Wow, this is a looooong post!! :eek:

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow we are twins ! Spent 10 years in Ulverston too, so spent lots of time in Morecambe yes the big fits are corkers aren't they? Sometimes I could have some myoclonic ones when I woke up then I'd go to work fine, I just feel lucky that nothing happened when I was driving. I thought they were blood sugar related because they'd settle when I'd eaten.....just remember my parents sitting with Lucozade and me protesting 'in not hypo!' All very weird. I didn't think I was claustrophobic until I had an MMR but the first one I had they insisted on playing Wet Wet Wet on repeat on hospital radio ( enough to freak anyone out ) so when they let me out I burst into tears and said I couldn't go back in. Why do they say don't open your eyes, and it makes you do it? Also why do you need to scratch your nose ? Funny eh? I've not had a seizure for over 3 years now so apparently the longer it is, the less it's likely to happen. On the Epilim leaflet it said 'don't drink' so after about a year I rung the nurse and said could I ( it was Christmas and I was fed up of fending people off who eyed me suspiciously and assumed I was an alcoholic .) He said the stress of not having one was more likely to bring a fit on then having one ! Nice normal bloke Anyway, going to see the diabetes nurse now so got to go, but it's great to talk to you ( and isn't it great to wake up without a sore tongue and no memory of what's been going on ? )

Reactions: 2 people

sue4les

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who eat chocolate in front of me. Boo Hoo
Hi , I've reached 42 years with diabetes and I am a pretty battered old boy . In the last two years I have had a triple heart bypass and a below knee amputation along with all the other things that come with long term diabetes . I have to say that a good sense of humour and positive attitude have kept my head above water , just . It is a very lonely disease only you can help yourself but it's good to talk .
You have done well and yes a sense of humour does help and it is a very lonely problem, Did you watch the programme Sugar free farm how silly were these people were, how do they think people get on when they are first diagnosed with Diabetes one day we are ok the next we have to cut out all sugars and we don't get a person telling us what we can eat instead for meals we have to work it out ourselves I can remember spending about an hour or so longer doing my shopping trying to find all the foods that only had 5% sugar or less, How depressed I became after about 4 years with no chocolate and it didn't help because I worked in a shop where we sold sweets etc and I was given the job to order them ( thanks boss) until one day I finally cracked and had a piece of choc and gave the rest to the other member of staff Oooooooo that was good, to Best of luck to you and don't get too lonely just come on here and let off steam and we will answer you. Sue

Reactions: 2 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have myoclonic jerks too! As far as I know never a 'proper' fit though so I've never even mentioned them to my doctor. I just laugh normally, particularly if my 'jerk' has made the person sitting next to me jump :)

I've never seen anything about a link between diabetes and epilepsy but maybe there is, although both are relatively common so chances are there are a quite a few who have both.

I hit 30 years diabetic in January so I have a while to wait for my medal....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
There you go, I've given you a medal. Anyone with 30 years of diabetes deserves one.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can we have monthly, no hourly medals? As there's never an hour off x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@conniecar There you are - that's your medal for this morning. ;)